Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
93 registered (Artur Gajewski, anamnesis, Bob Newbie, bennevis, Al LaPorte, 28 invisible), 1324 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#2021189 - 01/25/13 03:43 PM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
Marko in Boston Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Ok, this is goofy but fun to play and sounds pretty darn good on the ES7:

I was cleaning out some stuff (mostly Christmas) and came across Vince Guaraldi Trio Charlie Brown Christmas. So I was semi-inspired to procrastinate and play some of it the piano one last time until next year.

This is what I did that was a little different and fun: I played "Christmas is Coming" with these settings:

- layer Concert Grand (at 6) with W.Base & Ride (at 4)
- EQ=OFF
- Touch Curve=Heavy

Try it! (ok, so I had a lot of idle time today on my day off. Just roll with it and humor me.)

Edited by Marko in Boston (01/25/13 03:45 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2024104 - 01/30/13 03:10 PM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Here you are, a couple of songs recorded via USB in wav.
I think I put some 4db gain on one of them, not sure though.
¿How do you find the sound? (and I mean THE SOUND, lol).

https://soundcloud.com/mabraman

#2025547 - 02/01/13 07:35 PM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I am wondering if any of these ES7 Users have been working with the Rhythm section and if so ....

Do you have a specific rhythm suggestion for a nice slow jazz tune in 4/4 time. For example, MISTY.

I have been through all of those rhythms and none of them stand out to me as appropriate.

That probably is my biggest disappointment with this instrument. However, that might be partially dependent upon my lack of experience with that type of background stuff.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2025729 - 02/02/13 04:19 AM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: dmd]
dire tonic Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
A song like misty would need something unintrusive from the drums, maybe just brushes on a snare drum or a simple ride cymbal pattern - e.g. struck once on every quarter note - would work. Anything tricksy or dancy is going to sound weird and even simple patterns with bass drum and snare are going to sound too driving. Pre-programmed patterns don't usually offer anything basic enough.

I don't have the ES7 and I've not laid hands on one but I downloaded the manual a few weeks ago when the piano was on my contenders list (I bought the casio px-150 instead on impulse and to save some money - I'm beginning to regret that). From what I see, there are no brushes available but you have a collection of different ride cymbals on the notes D#2 and B2, the best would probably be from the analog set. I haven't looked at the record feature so I don't know how it works. Can you record a simple 4 to the bar ride cymbal and set it up as a song? If you've got a loop feature that would make short work of it otherwise you're going to have to spend 3 or 4 minutes robotically tapping it in.

If that's possible you could also try, in later choruses, adding a closed hi-hat (F#1) on beats 2 and 4. You'd need to experiment with the level.

The pattern may seem a bit dull almost pointless but it should provide a kind of ether to support the piano. A real drummer would punctuate with fills here and there. You could improve the cymbal motif by adding an occasional quieter tap on the 1/8 note triplet immediately preceding the quarter note strike on beats 1 or 3. A string bass would help as well - I guess you could layer that?

#2025764 - 02/02/13 08:07 AM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: dire tonic]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you for the suggestions.

I was hoping for a little more "plug n play" type of thing.

This machine has dozens of rhythms and not one for something as basic as Misty. That seems ridiculous to me.

But what do I know ...

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2025772 - 02/02/13 08:20 AM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: dmd]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dmd
I was hoping for a little more "plug n play" type of thing.

That's understandable. A suitable drum groove for misty or any jazz/standard ballad is of its nature going to be fairly skeletal. I suppose when these drum patterns are being programmed they don't want to give the impression they've been slacking on the job so value for money means throwing in the kitchen sink (I don't think you've got a midi note for that).

OTOH one of the other owners may know of something tucked away in the presets.

If not, on the upside, if you can program this in for yourself, you've got a groove that will work with almost any slow or medium tempo jazz tunes or standards.

#2025807 - 02/02/13 09:55 AM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: dire tonic]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dire tonic
you have a collection of different ride cymbals on the notes D#2 and B2, the best would probably be from the analog set.

Well, you apparently know more about my instrument than I do.

I have gone through the entire manual and I see no mention of anything like that.

#2025828 - 02/02/13 10:37 AM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: dmd]
1000 Post Club Member

- drum sound mapping list, p124 of the online pdf - I don't know if it's the definitive pdf or if there are inconsistencies.

I prefer to use the pdf version always to do a rapid search for keywords, in this case 'ride' and 'hhc' (closed hi-hat)

#2025895 - 02/02/13 12:43 PM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
pianomike Offline

dmd, Im not around my es7 at the moment but I have used the rhythm section on the es7 while playing Misty and it sounded nice to me.I can,t remember which rhytym I used but Im sure that there are a few different one,s that will work. Sometimes I take a faster rhythm and cut the speed in half. I think I played Misty around tempo 68 or 70. When I play using the rhythm section I use the base and drums and put in my own left hand piano parts. I have a roland gx piano with the nx piano card and also the nord ex stage and I like the kawai better than both of thoes. Its a great sounding piano at a lower price.

#2025925 - 02/02/13 02:02 PM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: pianomike]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianomike
dmd, Im not around my es7 at the moment but I have used the rhythm section on the es7 while playing Misty and it sounded nice to me.I can,t remember which rhytym I used but Im sure that there are a few different one,s that will work. Sometimes I take a faster rhythm and cut the speed in half. I think I played Misty around tempo 68 or 70. When I play using the rhythm section I use the base and drums and put in my own left hand piano parts. I have a roland gx piano with the nx piano card and also the nord ex stage and I like the kawai better than both of thoes. Its a great sounding piano at a lower price.

I probably am just not experienced enough at playing with those accompaniments. I have been trying some of them now and I have found one that would seem to work (Fast4beat). I dialed it down a bit.

#2025964 - 02/02/13 04:38 PM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
pianomike Offline

dmd, I was just playing Misty with the es7 rhythm sections , I used ride beat #58 at tempo 64 and then jazz rock , 8 beat 3 , ballad 2 and 3 they all work just decide which rhythym you like the best, there are probably alot more that will work I just didn,t go through all the rhythms. I see you Live in Pa. , I live in Cecil county Maryland.

#2025978 - 02/02/13 05:16 PM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: pianomike]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianomike
dmd, I was just playing Misty with the es7 rhythm sections , I used ride beat #58 at tempo 64 and then jazz rock , 8 beat 3 , ballad 2 and 3 they all work just decide which rhythym you like the best, there are probably alot more that will work I just didn,t go through all the rhythms. I see you Live in Pa. , I live in Cecil county Maryland.

Thanks, Mike. I will check those out.

Just knowing that someone else thinks they work will help me work with them.

#2026873 - 02/04/13 12:18 PM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
500 Post Club Member

#2031226 - 02/11/13 03:12 PM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
mabraman Offline

Hi mates, today I tried to test some new sounds and uploaded four songs: https://soundcloud.com/mabraman

Settings:
-Concert Grand1/Mellow Grand1 layered 2:8.
-String res. 10.
-Mech. noises off.
-Touch normal.
-Voicing Mellow2.
-Layer dinamics 7.
-Reverb room D2/T2.
-Rec. gain +5db and then +13db via Audacity.
-EQ: honestly, I think it was off but won't bet one of my arms on it wink. I've been playing with midcut for a while (and the hiss has almost gone!!) and then with some bass gain.Who knows wich one I recorded. blush

I think this layering is a little strange, but interesting. The bass is sometimes muddy, isn't it? And maybe the mids sound metallic. The recorded sound is not exactly what you hear when playing, it lacks some brilliance and I'm not sure the decay is well captured, too.
Please try to ignore my faults (it's been a loooooong afternoon playing and tweaking) and just listen to the sound, any comments will be appreciated.
By the way, the recording of the Bach's one failed and I uploaded on purpose for you to listen to it. It´s the second time it happens. I guess it's normal, just a corrupted file. Has anyone ever experienced the same issue?
And another question: what is Layer Dinamics for? I can't hear any difference when I change the settings.

Thank you in advance,

Isra.

Edited by mabraman (02/11/13 03:15 PM)

#2031233 - 02/11/13 03:22 PM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
South "yugoslawic" dance is a piano piece from Microcosmos Book 2 by Bela Bartok (not Dvorak).

#2031263 - 02/11/13 04:04 PM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
mabraman Offline

True! I'll edit it. Thanks.
...and about the sound?

#2033060 - 02/14/13 01:56 PM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
500 Post Club Member

#2035654 - 02/19/13 04:13 AM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: Marko in Boston]
mabraman Offline

Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston

Very enthusiastic.Talks like a salesman.

Last night I played with some sounds and made comparisons between them, in order to determine which one is more useful for different kinds of music. I like the layered sounds of CG1/MG1 and CG2/MG2 more each time, though I still haven't been able to get a perfect setting.I tend to charge the weight on the mellow side (8 to 2). Everything that you touch has pros and cons. At least, I realized that some -1/-2b in the mid range, along with a little more bass,works fine for me. Layer Dynamics set to low value.
What I don't know, and here I'm asking for some help, is what to do with:
- Studio Grands. I find them very strange, whining to say something. Has anybody found a good setting for them?
-And Rock piano...I just don't understand that sound, though I figure it must be useful cutting throug a pop mix or something. By itself, it sounds like a toy to me.
What I do with these two sounds is: when I get tired of Concert Grand or whatever, I play with Rock or Studio for a while and then go back to the main AP sound, and...wow! I love it! laugh

-Mellow Grands : If I was able to make them sound a little clearer and less boomy, these would be my favourite APs (here it is why I layer them with CG). They are so warm! And choosing bright2 voicing you can hear those nice strings.

And finally, reverb. Yesterday something strange happened: I liked small hall along with bright voicing and a confident touch. Perhaps I'm understanding something, after two months of work.

...out of the box, they say... crazy

Edited by mabraman (02/19/13 04:16 AM)

#2035724 - 02/19/13 08:59 AM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mabraman
Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston

Very enthusiastic.Talks like a salesman.

Last night I played with some sounds and made comparisons between them, in order to determine which one is more useful for different kinds of music. I like the layered sounds of CG1/MG1 and CG2/MG2 more each time, though I still haven't been able to get a perfect setting.I tend to charge the weight on the mellow side (8 to 2). Everything that you touch has pros and cons. At least, I realized that some -1/-2b in the mid range, along with a little more bass,works fine for me. Layer Dynamics set to low value.
What I don't know, and here I'm asking for some help, is what to do with:
- Studio Grands. I find them very strange, whining to say something. Has anybody found a good setting for them?
-And Rock piano...I just don't understand that sound, though I figure it must be useful cutting throug a pop mix or something. By itself, it sounds like a toy to me.
What I do with these two sounds is: when I get tired of Concert Grand or whatever, I play with Rock or Studio for a while and then go back to the main AP sound, and...wow! I love it! laugh

-Mellow Grands : If I was able to make them sound a little clearer and less boomy, these would be my favourite APs (here it is why I layer them with CG). They are so warm! And choosing bright2 voicing you can hear those nice strings.

And finally, reverb. Yesterday something strange happened: I liked small hall along with bright voicing and a confident touch. Perhaps I'm understanding something, after two months of work.

...out of the box, they say... crazy

I usually just use Concert Grand all of the time but your posting has me looking into some of these options. Thank You for bring this topic up.

BTW ... I am unfamiliar with the phrase
Quote:
some -1/-2b in the mid range
. Could you explain please ?

#2036037 - 02/19/13 06:10 PM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
mabraman Offline

Yes, I wrote it bad. I meant lowering mid low/mid high at -2db. I do it with every AP sound, 'cause my ears can't stand the default settings and they start ringing as soon as I play forte.
But every little change in a frequency, though producing a better or more pleasant overall feeling, affects to individual notes that begin to sound weird.I'm closer to my sound, but damm, still can't get it!
About layering: I find that equally layered pianos don't work (weird, not reallistic sound), so I set them at 7:3 or 8:2. Do you think the same?

Cheers.

#2036046 - 02/19/13 06:36 PM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have been working with sound options (blending, layering, EQing, etc ...) for a few years, now, and have found that there may not be anything that qualifies as a "perfect" sound. They are all just different. Even the ones I think are great begin to fade from favor after awhile. Other forum members have found the same thing. That is why you will see various posters indicating they would like to hear how someone feels about their "perfect sound" after another month or more. The way we feel about sounds seem to vary with time.

Right now, I am very pleased with almost any sound I get with most of my blendings or just straight ES7 Concert Grand sound. That may be a testament to my sound equipment and/or the sound generated by the ES7. That may not last, but for now it is very enjoyable.

Edited by dmd (02/21/13 06:06 PM)

#2037358 - 02/22/13 07:02 AM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
500 Post Club Member

Check out this clip of the ES7 in a live audience performance at some club. You cant really see the piano but clearly hear it. Not bad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-iXI2nZcgc

#2037370 - 02/22/13 07:53 AM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: Marko in Boston]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Blimey Mark, is that you? Playing the piano I mean . . . Sounds good, man. And the lady kept her kit on . . ! What can ya say? A good time was had by all . . .

""

#2041162 - 03/01/13 03:50 AM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
mabraman Offline

I've noticed that, when recording via USB stick and then using Audacity to amplify the track, there is only one waveform displayed (mono?)when I record in wav. format, but two (stereo) when I do it in MP3.

Does it mean that WAV recordings are mono (in order to reduce the file size?), or is there anything I've missed?

Thanks.

Edited by mabraman (03/01/13 03:56 AM)

#2041163 - 03/01/13 04:08 AM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Hmmm...that dooesn't sound right. The USB audio recorder should create stereo files for both WAV and MP3 formats.

How are you opening the WAV file in Audacity?
What happens if you open the file properties for the file (using Windows Explorer or Finder on a Mac)?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2041165 - 03/01/13 04:21 AM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
mabraman Offline

Hi James, I just create a new project. Though there's only one waveform displayed on the screen, I can see two channels going at different sound levels on the soundbar. File properties indicate it's stereo, thanks. (some of these days I won't be a technodonkey anymore).

#2051194 - 03/20/13 05:26 AM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
Re experimenting with different sounds: I too have tried all sorts of combinations. FWIW, I have settled (for now at least) with EQ Low -1, Mid low 0, Mid high +1, High +2; Mellow1, normal touch curve, damper res 10, damper noise 5, string res 10, key off effect 5, fallback noise 5, hammer delay 3, equal (piano) temp, wide stretch. Works well in a room about 12 feet by 12 feet with composers between Bach and Brahms. When I come to Rachmaninov I need to wheel out the concert grand.

My experience with blending mellow and concert grand - to tone down the concert brightness and add a bit of bite to the mellow - was disappointing in that somehow I can hear the two voices and it ends up sounding artificial.

The ES7 is a great piano. Note the word "piano", not "digital piano". I'm still amazed that I can play Bach without the sustain and find it satisfying. Kawai are getting there with capturing the resonance of an acoustic piano.

#2051213 - 03/20/13 07:21 AM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: sandalholme]
mabraman Offline

Originally Posted By: sandalholme

My experience with blending mellow and concert grand - to tone down the concert brightness and add a bit of bite to the mellow - was disappointing in that somehow I can hear the two voices and it ends up sounding artificial.

The ES7 is a great piano. Note the word "piano", not "digital piano". I'm still amazed that I can play Bach without the sustain and find it satisfying. Kawai are getting there with capturing the resonance of an acoustic piano.

When I blend two pianos I always have to make some changes on the Layer Dynamics (Key Settings menu) and Layer Volume.
The first is for avoiding what you pointed before (2 pianos sounding toghether) and getting just a little of the character from the layered one, but keeping the tone of the main one at the forefront.
And as a said some posts before, equal blends don't work. It has to be 2:8 or 3:7 maximum, other way it sounds awfully (unless I'm missing something, as usual smile ).

Now, a question for you, ES7 owners: anyone hearing middle E natural (Concert Grand 1) sounding waaay more metallic than the other notes, as it should be if the attack was forte?
Not a big problem, but sounds ugly enough to make me prefer Mellow Grand almost always. It doesn't happen there.
I was wondering if it's normal, or there is something that could be fixed via update. It's just one note.

Saludos.

Edited by mabraman (03/20/13 07:21 AM)

#2051327 - 03/20/13 12:11 PM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mabraman
Now, a question for you, ES7 owners: anyone hearing middle E natural (Concert Grand 1) sounding waaay more metallic than the other notes, as it should be if the attack was forte?
Not a big problem, but sounds ugly enough to make me prefer Mellow Grand almost always. It doesn't happen there.
I was wondering if it's normal, or there is something that could be fixed via update. It's just one note.

Yes, I hear the same exact thing.

Actually, I do not seem to notice it all of the time but most of the time.

Like you said, it is not a biggie but it definitely is there.

#2051745 - 03/21/13 04:57 AM Re: Kawai ES7 user thread [Re: mabraman]
mabraman Offline

Yep, and in the Studio Grand voice, this happens on middle F, but it's less noticeable due to the overall twangy sound, which disguises it.
This is the reason why I blend mellow with concert grand, keeping mellow at the forefront. Central scale sounds pretty better on the mellows. But who cares, it's just the one you play the most!
IMO, there are three possible explanations for that:
-A deaf person is checking the sound, or
-A deaf person was tunning the Grand, or
-It's all about realism, to avoid a sterile sound wink

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mark your calendars!
by Rich Galassini
11/26/14 07:30 AM
Why single tone intonation came from Russia but not USA?
by Hakki
11/26/14 06:46 AM
Problem with mothergoosetools.com website
by daniokeeper
11/26/14 02:33 AM
New piano student
by IWG.
11/26/14 01:18 AM
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
11/25/14 11:07 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159361 Topics
2340946 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission