2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
btb and kreisler, what are your opinions on me learning this sonata? Would it be wise and beneficial for me to choose it over Op 27 2 and Op 78? smile

By the way, you may be correct when it comes to the spirit of the single movements of Op 26, but he has certainly abandoned the sonata form in this piece, the work starts with a slow movement, which is rather unconventional smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Franz Beebert
btb and kreisler, what are your opinions on me learning this sonata? Would it be wise and beneficial for me to choose it over Op 27 2 and Op 78?

I think the benefit that comes from a piece comes from how you approach it, not the piece itself. Pick whichever one you feel you can best devote your attention to, the one that you find most attractive and that isn't so technically demanding that you can't engage it on a musical and spiritual level as well.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It’s comforting to hear that Kreisler likes my pitch regarding the first movement of the Beethoven Sonata Opus 26 ... which revisits the old days of Haydn and Mozart ... but having just played those first measures to get a grip on the context ... I shot off to the kitchen for a cup of tea (so as to recover from the maudlin hangover) ... and then immediately returned to the keyboard to trundle over the wonder of the Moonlight Sonata Opus 27/2.

The opening of the Moonlight spun off a treat ... and the syncopated 2nd movement brought a smile ... it was slowgoing through the 3rd movement
(which needs time to build up the necessary tempo).

But back at the ranch ... nothing wrong in revisiting the Opus 26 ... but in dreaming back of my sprog years, the Moonlight was my first adventure into classical music, and therefore holds a special memory ... but each to their own poison.

But, would you believe it ... the first piece of music that I memorized was
“Smoke Gets In Your Eyes” by Jerome Kern ...
and can still play it at the drop of a hat.

You chaps don't have to listen ... my dog likes my
rendition ... sometimes it's good to be deaf.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
PS Beethoven is in an experimental mood in Opus 78 ...
which kicks off in Adagio cantabile tempo with an upward chordal ascent over a broad chordal bass ...
only to brisk up after 3 measures to Allegro ma non troppo.

The inconsequential rippling treble from m17 against a chordal bass with initially changing mid-chordal notes doesn’t make it a favourite for me.

My reference book says of Opus 78 in F-sharp major

“ This slight two-movement sonata hardly justifies the composer’s high regard. Certainly few will agree with him in rating it above the C-sharp minor sonata,
as we know he did. We may regard it as a minor product of Beethoven’s maturity. Many of my colleagues admire it more than I am able to, and it is by no means a stranger to concert audiences.
Indeed, it is easy enough to surrender oneself to the amiable melodic lines of the Allegro ma non troppo, or to the graceful caprice of the Allegro vivace.
I defer respectfully, therefore, to more enthusiastic judgments than my own.”

I’m off for a round of golf ... even though it’s raining.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by btb

My reference book says of Opus 78 in F-sharp major

“ This slight two-movement sonata hardly justifies the composer’s high regard. Certainly few will agree with him in rating it above the C-sharp minor sonata,
as we know he did. We may regard it as a minor product of Beethoven’s maturity. Many of my colleagues admire it more than I am able to, and it is by no means a stranger to concert audiences.
Indeed, it is easy enough to surrender oneself to the amiable melodic lines of the Allegro ma non troppo, or to the graceful caprice of the Allegro vivace.
I defer respectfully, therefore, to more enthusiastic judgments than my own.”

IMHO the only "minor" or "slight" aspect of Opus 78 is that it is in two movements instead of three or four. Otherwise it certainly holds its own with the best of Beethoven's output for solo piano.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Op.54 is also in two movements, and Cooper doesn't see it as a "minor" sonata... He just says that it is unusual for Beethoven (although Haydn and other earlier composers had used two movements in their sonatas), and that it is in the middle of two mountains, the Waldstein and the Appassionata. Not as good as those sonatas of course, but not a minor sonata either.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission