2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by LaReginadellaNotte
As to comparing different technicians, it's true that we may never obtain a definite answer regarding who is the best, but I still think that it's interesting to discuss the topic. I enjoy intellectual exercises, especially ones that involve comparing and contrasting great musicians. For example, we may conclude that the pianist who excels in the greatest number of technical challenges is probably the top technician overall. Lhévinne was outstanding at both octaves and double notes. Argerich has excellent octaves, but her runs have never been as clearly articulated as those of Pollini, Horowitz, or Hofmann, and I have never heard her play double notes of the Lhévinne order. For those reasons, I think that Lhévinne was overall a better technician than Argerich was.
There are a lot more than two or three aspects to technique. That's why trying to rank pianists in terms of their "technique"(even if one could rank the individual aspect of their technique precisely...which one can't)is IMO fruitless. I think the best one can try to do is have some broad ranking categories for great technician.

Same thing for composers. Most would put Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, and some others in the highest category. But why try and decide if Mozart comes before Beethoven or vice versa?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/19/12 06:16 PM.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by LaReginadellaNotte
I think that Lhévinne was overall a better technician than Argerich was.

I suspect she would agree with that. As you say, it is an 'intellectual exercise', and nothing more, eh?

The point is that Argerich -like an experienced cook- has put all the ingredients together in a sumptuous recipe, and if certain pianists exceed her in double notes, scales, or octaves, what of it? That does not diminish her stature. I have no problem rating Argerich over Hofmann, Hamelin, Friedman, Lhévinne, or even Pollini. I have heard recordings of all of those pianists, but IMO they don't bring quite as much to the table as Argerich.

Charles Rosen -a student of Hofmann- claimed that he had the most effortless technique (speaking of Chopin Op 10/1), but he does not comment on Hofmann's interpretations of the masterworks. Hofmann was a pianist of his time, but unlike Rachmaninov, I don't think his recordings are more than a curiosity today.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by allegro_concerto

And don't forget Clara Haskil, Samson François and Dinu Lipatti were his students, among many others.

How could I forget? thumb

But sorry to rain (or reign) on the parade, but IMO those pianists -particularly François- have left recordings which are far greater than anything I've heard from Cortot. I guess (a) you had to have been there or (b) had to appreciate how 'musical' he was.

Cortot's pedagogical stature is not in any way questioned.

Jason
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
why so green Jason?

Everytime I see the title of this thread, my brain responds with
"he had a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad technique. There!".
I personally fail to see the relevance of these comparisons. People sound like they are discussing breeding racehorses or NASCAR drivers for fastest, recklessest and so on.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Andromaque
why so green Jason?

I don't get it. 'Green' to me is everything that George Will and Bill Kristol oppose.
I personally fail to see the relevance of these comparisons.

I don't either, though I'll 'play' along. But I do wonder if Argerich's octaves were the equal of Horowitz and Rachmaninov, would she be a greater pianist?

Jason
A
A
Originally Posted by argerichfan

And don't forget Clara Haskil, Samson François and Dinu Lipatti were his students, among many others.

How could I forget? thumb

But sorry to rain (or reign) on the parade, but IMO those pianists -particularly François- have left recordings which are far greater than anything I've heard from Cortot. I guess (a) you had to have been there or (b) had to appreciate how 'musical' he was.

Cortot's pedagogical stature is not in any way questioned.

Well, that 1919 recording impressed Horowitz and me, and it suggested to me at the height of his powers, he must have been an extraordinary pianist.

Leopold Godowsky was another pianist with extremely outstanding technique, but I could not tell this from a number of recordings we had of him today. But that does not make him a lesser pianist in my view.

I think since Chopin etc.. were all dead with no recordings, there is little point to speculate how good their technique was, it is much more productive to work on our technique instead.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Leopold Godowsky was another pianist with extremely outstanding technique, but I could not tell this from a number of recordings we had of him today.

Not his recording of the Chopin E major Scherzo? I think that is magnificent, unmatched in my experience. I have never been a big fan of Rubinstein, generally preferring Ashkenazy in this repertoire, but Godowsky was really something else.

I fail to see why you are so upset that some of us may not rate Cortot as highly as you do. It is certainly not a personal attack.

Lighten up my mate. wink

Jason
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
why so green Jason?

I don't get it. 'Green' to me is everything that George Will and Bill Cristol oppose.

Referring to your avatar darling. Or whatever the little green or yellow heads next to user names are called. The green one you are sporting (unknowingly?) is decidedly sickly, dengue or ebola or something of the sort.

Bill kristol? why waste your time?

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Referring to your avatar darling. Or whatever the little green or yellow heads next to user names are called. The green one you are sporting (unknowingly?) is decidedly sickly, dengue or ebola or something of the sort.

Oh. I see what you mean, not terribly appetizing. Since returning from Paris last May I have lost a lot of weight, does PW track this? laugh

Better we leave Kristol alone... what an evil warmonger, but I digress. blush

Jason
L
L
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

There are a lot more than two or three aspects to technique. That's why trying to rank pianists in terms of their "technique"(even if one could rank the individual aspect of their technique precisely...which one can't)is IMO fruitless. I think the best one can try to do is have some broad ranking categories for great technician.

Same thing for composers. Most would put Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, and some others in the highest category. But why try and decide if Mozart comes before Beethoven or vice versa?

Obviously, there are a lot more than three aspects of technique. Perhaps the most reliable method of assessment would be to list as many technical aspects as possible and to determine which pianist(s) excel in the greatest number of aspects. In some cases, it will be obvious that one pianist- in practically every conceivable way- is a better technician than another. I think that we can all agree that Argerich and Horowitz are/were much better technicians than Brendel is.

However, even when assessing supervirtuosi, sometimes we can conclude that one person (at least in certain aspects) is superior to another. For example, in Rachmaninov's biography, it describes an octave contest between the composer and Lhévinne. They were trying to see who could play the fastest octaves, and Rachmaninov won. That suggests that Rachmaninov had better octaves than Lhévinne did. In addition, Rachmaninov declared that Horowitz had the fastest and loudest octaves, which suggests that Horowitz had better octaves than either Rachmaninov or Lhévinne.

Also, we could compare Horowitz to Volodos (an extraordinary technician in his own right). Volodos recorded Horowitz's transcription of the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody #2, and- for the most part- Volodos' technique doesn't compare to that of the Maestro. Horowitz plays the runs more evenly and easily than Volodos does, and the Maestro's octaves are much more sonorous and exciting than Volodos' octaves. There is one repeated note passage that Volodos plays more cleanly than Horowitz does, but overall, Horowitz displays better technique. My point is that even when comparing virtuosi of extremely high calibers, we may find solid evidence that one is better than the other.

The point is that Argerich -like an experienced cook- has put all the ingredients together in a sumptuous recipe, and if certain pianists exceed her in double notes, scales, or octaves, what of it? That does not diminish her stature. I have no problem rating Argerich over Hofmann, Hamelin, Friedman, Lhévinne, or even Pollini.

I definitely agree that Argerich is an extraordinary pianist. She is a particular favorite of mine, and I definitely like her playing better than Pollini's. Few people can generate as much visceral excitement as Argerich does in virtuoso repertoire, but she is also surprisingly good in Bach.

Recent Repertoire:
Liszt: Concerto #1 in Eb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dY9Qw8Z7ao
Bach: Partita #2 in c minor
Beethoven: Sonata #23 in f minor, Opus 57 ("Appassionata")
Chopin: Etudes Opus 25 #6,9,10,11,12
Prokofiev: Sonata #3 in a minor
Suggestion diabolique
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by acortot
piano-technique can be based on muscle-memory, founded on hours of mechanical repetition until the phrases sound 'perfect' and beyond criticism
All the great pianists of every age have this kind of technique. It is not something negative.

it can also be based on artistic thought, where the technique is under the pianist's complete control
Muscle memory isn't under a pianist's control?

Chopin could improvise for hours. This to me means he had a very strong technique, in the sense that he played what he envisioned...
Anyone can improvise for hours. While we can assume Chopin's improvisations were very great and at at high technical level this doesn't mean his improvisations were at the technical level of his compositions.

'muscle memory' technique has more of an athletic approach. The pianists who practice endless repetition may play correctly but I would not call their technique good because it has been tainted by the physical aspect of playing
All the great pianists have very good or great muscle memory technique in addition to their great musical understanding. All of them practiced endless repetition. As Alexander Braginsky has said playing the piano is half athletic and half mind(of course, he didn't mean exactly half and half...he just meant there is an important athletic part)

yes of course muscle memory is necessary but a technique which is based on endless repetition, perhaps while reading a book, is not in the same league as a technique developed with absolute concentration (which is far more energy-consuming mentally)

This is why Chopin got very angry if his students studied more than a couple of hours a day, and perhaps why he suggested that students take rests every once in a while to regenerate their mental energies

Jazz players have to concentrate fully on their playing because they are constantly improvising, so that influences the WAY they study.. this is what I meant

Max di Mario
A
A

Leopold Godowsky was another pianist with extremely outstanding technique, but I could not tell this from a number of recordings we had of him today.

Not his recording of the Chopin E major Scherzo? I think that is magnificent, unmatched in my experience. I have never been a big fan of Rubinstein, generally preferring Ashkenazy in this repertoire, but Godowsky was really something else.

I fail to see why you are so upset that some of us may not rate Cortot as highly as you do. It is certainly not a personal attack.

Lighten up my mate. wink

Actually I am not upset at all, I am actually not a big fan of Alfred Cortot myself, but I do have a lot of respect for him as a pianist and as a teacher. I just felt some comments relating to Cortot were unjustified, hence my comments etc...

That recording of Chopin E major Scherzo was very well played, with brilliant technique and I have never heard of this recording until just now.

It seems strange we have one (?) brilliant recording of Godowsky and not so great recordings elsewhere, and similarly for Cortot, but then Cortot is regarded as a "bad" pianist...

I reckon if I had a fraction of Godowksy or Cortot's talent, I can die happy.

Online Content
piano-technique can be based on muscle-memory, founded on hours of mechanical repetition until the phrases sound 'perfect' and beyond criticism
All the great pianists of every age have this kind of technique. It is not something negative.

it can also be based on artistic thought, where the technique is under the pianist's complete control
Muscle memory isn't under a pianist's control?

Chopin could improvise for hours. This to me means he had a very strong technique, in the sense that he played what he envisioned...
Anyone can improvise for hours. While we can assume Chopin's improvisations were very great and at at high technical level this doesn't mean his improvisations were at the technical level of his compositions.

'muscle memory' technique has more of an athletic approach. The pianists who practice endless repetition may play correctly but I would not call their technique good because it has been tainted by the physical aspect of playing
All the great pianists have very good or great muscle memory technique in addition to their great musical understanding. All of them practiced endless repetition. As Alexander Braginsky has said playing the piano is half athletic and half mind(of course, he didn't mean exactly half and half...he just meant there is an important athletic part)
yes of course muscle memory is necessary but a technique which is based on endless repetition, perhaps while reading a book, is not in the same league as a technique developed with absolute concentration (which is far more energy-consuming mentally)
Your reply seems to have little to do with my comments. Who said anything about reading a book or not concentrating? All I said was that the athletic part of piano playing is an important one.

Some very great pianists did practice technique while reading a book and it worked for them although it may not be a good idea for most. As long as one's technique allows one to do whatever one wants, I don't think it matters how it's achieved.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/21/12 07:44 AM.
J
J
I read many biographies on Freddy in my youth, and history indicates that he was the complete package. His volume range, particularly ppp was unmatched. Before he contracted TB, he concertised extensively. Also, he supposedly took Liszt to task often for adding fireworks to Chopin's compositions.

Originally Posted by jdott
I read many biographies on Freddy in my youth, and history indicates that he was the complete package. His volume range, particularly ppp was unmatched. Before he contracted TB, he concertised extensively. Also, he supposedly took Liszt to task often for adding fireworks to Chopin's compositions.

thumb Well said!
Although, I'm not sure about the "extensive" concertizing. It depends what we mean by concerts. I imagine he played dozens or maybe hundreds of "salons," "soirees" etc., but I recall reading that he probably didn't play more than about a couple dozen what we'd now call concerts. (Not sure I'm right about this, but I think that's what I saw.)

edit: I checked it out a little and this appears to be so.

Last edited by Mark_C; 01/18/13 02:52 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

"Freddy"? Really?

I would like to know where you get this information. It has been documented in the biographies that I have read that Chopin gave relatively few concerts in his adult years. In some of which he did give, he was criticized for having a weak tone that did not project well.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by BruceD

"Freddy"? Really?

I would like to know where you get this information. It has been documented in the biographies that I have read that Chopin gave relatively few concerts in his adult years. In some of which he did give, he was criticized for having a weak tone that did not project well.

Regards,

In those days, opera was the primary entertainment for the masses, so I imagine any critic would have been expecting the operatic approach to projection. Chopin's music is unusually intimate and gentle, and he played with a very wide tonal palette, so it's easy to imagine that the comment about a "weak tone" is based on the tastes of the day. It only takes a read through one of his Preludes compared to Liszt's to understand how far ahead of the curve he was. That's not to say he wasn't frail, but it has never taken a lot of physical effort to play loudly, certainly not on pianos of the day.

Online Content
Not according to what I've read.

Any biographies or articles I'm familiar with make a point of how few concerts he gave in his life. And many of them, while praising his playing to the skies and commenting on his control at very soft levels, talk about his very soft overall playing which would imply a lack of dynamic range in his playing. This second aspect of his playing we can't ever be sure about because "dynamic range" can depend on the standards of a particular time or the personal definition of those who commented on Chopin's playing.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Although the subject of Chopin's technique is very interesting to me, it's a shame we will never know for sure. I'm just glad he wrote his stuff down.

Where exactly did you read that Chopin concertized regularly before catching TB? I've never heard that.

J
J
I said before he contracted TB, which, if memory serves, was in his early twenties. I believe he was in his late teens when he toured Europe, then spent most of his time in Paris. What's wrong with 'Freddy?'. He wasn't a God; he was a great composer.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission