Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2018153 - 01/21/13 03:08 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
It sound to me like this isn't a problem with the fact that the terminology uses the same words, but that the students either aren't retaining the information or didn't comprehend it in the first place.

So my guess is you're barking up the wrong tree with latching onto the fact that the word "half" is used for different things. I think the problem may be more that they are confusing intervals (steps) with cadences and note types.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2018236 - 01/21/13 09:14 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: ezpiano.org
I am sorry for late reply.
Here is the order of presentation (the length of lesson is approximately and differ from students to students)
Half note is two beat by 2nd month of lesson.
Eighth note is half a beat by 5th month of lesson.
Then some student would confuse that half note is only half beat, or call eighth note a half note.
Half step by about 8th month of lesson.
When asked what is a half step, some students will tell me half step is 2 beats. In that case, I would then play a half step then a whole step on piano then ask him which one is a half step, the student would get it right.
Mostly those that confused will get the right answer if I provide them some choices in the answer, but they won't get it right without choices.
Half cadences by 2 years of lesson.
When asked what is half cadences, again, some students will tell me 2 beats. In this case, then I have to provide them the list of V-I, or I-V, or IV-I, then they will get the right answer for half cadence.
So, again, those confused will get right answer only if I provide the choices. They can't get it right if I only ask: "What is half cadence?"
I hope I make sense here.

I am less concerned that a student can tell me verbally what a minim is, and more concerned that they hold it for the correct amount of time. Again, as long that they can find F# for me, it doesn't matter too much that they forget what a semitone is.

But what I am discovering is that I really need to test and assess them on concepts I expect them to know. It's not enough that I taught it, and that they knew it, they need to keep on knowing it. So one thing you could do, is test they know what they should know, and if they don't consistently give the right answer, don't teach the new concept yet.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2018244 - 01/21/13 09:27 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ten left thumbs]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs

I am less concerned that a student can tell me verbally what a minim is, and more concerned that they hold it for the correct amount of time. Again, as long that they can find F# for me, it doesn't matter too much that they forget what a semitone is.

TLT, am I guessing right that you would start mentioning these terms on and off as they work on music with you over the months and years, so that if they move up a half step, you might use the word "half step" or whatever and the word gels after a while? I understand that teaching theory actually begins at a concrete, practical level. The student has played lots of V7-I chords with a grand finish long before ever working theoretically with "cadences" for example.

#2018278 - 01/21/13 10:22 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Yes, the drip drip approach. I would not use 'half step' so I don't get that particular confusion. But I'm distinguishing between understanding the concept and knowing the name for it.

I don't have anyone advanced enough for cadences.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2018285 - 01/21/13 10:31 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I am sorry for late reply.
Here is the order of presentation (the length of lesson is approximately and differ from students to students)
Half note is two beat by 2nd month of lesson.
Eighth note is half a beat by 5th month of lesson.
Then some student would confuse that half note is only half beat, or call eighth note a half note.
Half step by about 8th month of lesson.
When asked what is a half step, some students will tell me half step is 2 beats. In that case, I would then play a half step then a whole step on piano then ask him which one is a half step, the student would get it right.
Mostly those that confused will get the right answer if I provide them some choices in the answer, but they won't get it right without choices.
When asked what is half cadences, again, some students will tell me 2 beats. In this case, then I have to provide them the list of V-I, or I-V, or IV-I, then they will get the right answer for half cadence.
So, again, those confused will get right answer only if I provide the choices. They can't get it right if I only ask: "What is half cadence?"
I hope I make sense here.

They may not be listening properly. If a student answers "two beats" to the question "what is a half step" then I would say "No, that is a half NOTE. What is a half STEP?" Perhaps even take out some flash cards or a board to draw on and show them a half note and say this gets two beats. Then draw a series of half steps on the staff using all different kinds of note values they are familiar with and show them that a half step can involve any kind of note value.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2018343 - 01/21/13 11:39 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: Morodiene]
ROMagister Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bucuresti, Romania
Half step ;-) In guitar or MIDI it's THE step.

It's an artefact the diatonic scale, and so of the almost universal keyboard, that 5 of the 7 second intervals in an octave are really a whole step (or 2 MIDI steps).

Piano/keyboard forms a different kind of challenge. Of adapting hand positions to scales in the 12 different keys.

In guitar one has to form any diatonic scale 'by hand' (1 or 2 frets at a time) but then transposition is just mechanical shifting. But that's still not what one reads in traditional notation... if something's confusing to many, THAT's confusing.

Who had that grand idea to make a diatonic-independent piano keyboard, forming scales 'by hand' but then transposing mechanically ?
(Or maybe with 6 black keys per octave ? BUT that would lose the nice recognizable pattern of 2, 3, 2, 3 helping orientation)

#2018353 - 01/21/13 11:56 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA

Here's your problem: You are introducing half cadences way too soon! How old are these kids? Seven?

Also, knowing V-I, I-V, or IV-I does NOT equate the understanding of these cadences. The students are just associating a bunch of Roman numerals with the names of the cadences.

Why don't you ask these confused students to draw a half cadence in F major?

#2018396 - 01/21/13 01:05 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Quote:
They may not be listening properly.

Yes, maybe is the listening problem. Once they hear the word "half" first thing they think is 2 beats and without paying attention to if it is a cadence, or step, or note.

As I said, only a few of my students are constantly confused, not all of them.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2018397 - 01/21/13 01:08 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Why don't you ask these confused students to draw a half cadence in F major?

Yes, given a work book of Peggy Odell, Level 2 at the cadence section, these confused students are able to draw a half cadence.

As I said with visualize aid they are capable of giving correct answer, and with given choices of the answer to choose from, they usually get it right.

#2018399 - 01/21/13 01:09 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Also, knowing V-I, I-V, or IV-I does NOT equate the understanding of these cadences. The students are just associating a bunch of Roman numerals with the names of the cadences.

Agree with you, that is why they also play these cadence at the side in technique part. During lesson in regular repertoire or method book, I pointed out what is half cadence if I can find one.

#2018400 - 01/21/13 01:11 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Here's your problem: You are introducing half cadences way too soon! How old are these kids? Seven?

Yes, maybe that is my problem. But as I said so many times, only a few students in this age group (6, 7, 8, 9 and 10) that confused this. I do have 6YO totally cool with cadance, no confuse, but it is just a few students confuse.

#2018505 - 01/21/13 04:30 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
But as I said so many times, only a few students in this age group (6, 7, 8, 9 and 10) that confused this. I do have 6YO totally cool with cadance, no confuse, but it is just a few students confuse.

shocked
You must have the most gifted bunch of little kids.

#2018525 - 01/21/13 05:23 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Why bother at all with the terminology at this point? Use only what terms are necessary.

#2018866 - 01/22/13 08:47 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I also wonder at why it's necessary to teach them cadences at this point. Really, they can play very well if you just say "Ok it's the end of the phrase/idea, so let's give a little lift after it..." or whatever suggestion that is suitable in that instance. Get them used to the function of the cadences, and you can even talk about how this sounds like it ends in a question (half cadence) and that the answer happens right after it. I don't think that would confuse them because the terms are being left out, and you're focusing on how it sounds. The terms can come much later, and it will be easy for them because they will know the sound of a cadence when they hear it.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2018888 - 01/22/13 09:36 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
half step
half note
half cadences
eight note is half a beat

They are not the same thing, but somehow some of my students keep thinking they are related.

Any tips when deliver these concepts?

Make sure the kids know the category that each one belongs to.

Say something like: We are talking about intervals.
This is a half step. This is a whole step; this is a third,
etc.

Then there will be no need for any other use of 'half' anything else.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
recording digital piano
by johan d
26 minutes 16 seconds ago
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
Today at 01:10 AM
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:28 PM
Who's Online
64 registered (AZNpiano, András Lieber, andwi, Banshee, angga888, 16 invisible), 1167 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158407 Topics
2326259 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission