2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
I will be at a conference in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from Sat. Apr. 6 to Wed. Apr. 10. Are there any piano or music stores, or other music-related places or events, that I should consider visiting while I'm there?

I will be in Center City without a car, but I lived in Philadelphia for four years, so I'm comfortable getting around by public transportation.

I'm probably only free during the day on Saturday (and possibly Sunday), but I'll be free most evenings in case there are any interesting concerts, or stores open late, or something.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Cunningham Piano is the place to go. A must see. Just visited it for the second time.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Cunningham's is a must.

Something else is to hear the Wanamaker Pipe Organ at Macy's. Yep, the department store and it's free. On Saturdays, there is a performance at Noon and again at 5:30 pm.

Also, don't forget the Philadelphia Orchestra. It is always a glorious experience to hear one of the world's greatest orchestras. Check their website for info.

Have fun!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I agree with the prior responses. Cunningham Piano Company is a must visit--you should be able to find Rich Galassini on this Forum. If you get in touch with him, I bet he will set up one of his wonderful tours of Cunningham's piano factory and showroom for you.

The organ at the former Wanamaker's (now Macy's, near City Hall) is a great suggestion.

And by all means check to see what the Philadelphia Orchestra is performing while you are here! They sometimes have wonderful Sunday afternoon chamber concerts (I mean, the concerts are always wonderful, but they are not every Sunday).

And have a great time!

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
There is so much to see in Philly on any Saturday night it becomes a difficult choice.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Not music related, but the butter cake at Flying Monkey in Reading Terminal Market is out of this world. Seriously. It is so good I looked the bakery up online upon our return only to be bitterly disappointed they don't ship out of state.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Monica speaks truth. That cake is definitely worth it. The whole market is fun.

I'm surprised that nobody has made a crack about a bell or "Doin' a Rocky" at the art museum.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

That cake is definitely worth it. The whole market is fun.

You can say that again. If I lived in Philly I'd weigh 245 pounds. whome

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Mitsuko Uchida is playing a recital here on April 10--but maybe you'll be leaving by then. On the 7th there's a recital by a pianist I don't know, Marcantonio Barone. Both of these concerts are sponsored by the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society.

As Dave B says, there's a huge variety of musical events here--lots of vocal and instrumental ensembles, as well as the orchestra. The Philly Fun Guide online is a good source for event listings.

With all that, Cunningham's, and the Macy's organ (free every day at noon in case you have a lunch break), you'll have a lot to do!

1989 Baldwin R
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I'm leaving late afternoon on Wed., so a 1/10 concert is out. But the 1/7 concert is possible. I'll be staying very close to the Reading Terminal Market -- butter cake, here I come.

Cunningham's sounds wonderful, and I have now for the first time used the Google maps feature on my iphone that will show public transit directions. Hooray! It looks like there's a bus that runs all the way up there, although I'm going to check if the train goes close by, since that would probably be faster.

Thanks for reminding me that Wanamaker's is now Macy's. That sale happened after I had moved away. I would have been terribly disoriented hunting for Wanamaker's and not finding it.

Is there a good printed music store in the city? Or have they all fallen under the onslaught of online sales?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
There's a good printed music store in Ardmore, Calliope Music, on Lancaster Ave. It's very close to the Ardmore SEPTA regional rail station. I don't think there are any printed music stores downtown (if there are, I apologize for not knowing about them).

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Sorry to come late to this party.

Unfortunately, there is no sheet music store in Center City and my opinion is that Calliope Music in Ardmore is absolutely the best in the area. One can catch a train that puts you blocks away from them. If you stop in there, please tell Julia or George that we were asking for them.

Also, if you wish to visit us here at Cunningham I will happy to set aside a little time to show you around. We like to think that we are a pianists playground!

There absolutely will be some fine concert events happening as well.

Cheers!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Reading Terminal Market... Definitely YUM

If you have a chance, it's always a treat to check out the student recitals at CURTIS. Whether piano or not you won't be disappointed (bonus-they're free !) and it's in a nice, intimate setting just off Rittenhouse Square.

It's been a few years since I've been, but a couple of the performances I've been to were unbelievable. (Once being the Brahms Piano Quartet #3)

http://commonroom.curtis.edu/calend...3&todate=4/18/2013&view=DateTime

Regards,
c.

P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I didn't have enough time to make it to Cunningham Piano, unfortunately. Hopefully on another trip.

I did make it out to Calliope Music in Ardmore and bought a ton of music, and ordered another ton of music. It was really wonderful being able to browse in such a well-stocked music store, and talk with the really well-informed owner who had lots of great suggestions for me. It was incredibly easy and quick to get there by train.

I went to a senior recital at Curtis Institute of Music by cellist Xin Shi. He has two teachers: the cellist of the Guarneri String Quartet and the first chair cellist in the New York Philharmonic. Wow! He played sonatas by Beethoven, Poulenc, and Rachmaninoff. It was extraordinarily wonderful.

On my last night in Philadelphia, the conference had a big party with the Springsteen tribute band Bruce In The USA, so that was another great musical experience, transcendant in a different way.

I found Profi's Crêperie in the Reading Terminal Market and had Nutella-banana crêpes for breakfast every morning. Yum yum yum.

I can tell that I've only scratched the surface of the musical offerings in Philadelphia, so I'm hoping for another reason to go back soon.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Philly is a great town with much to offer. We even have a ballet company; and a great art museum, if you can get past the crowd in front of the Rocky statue.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
V
V
I bet he will set up one of his wonderful tours of Cunningham's piano factory and showroom for you.[Linked Image]

cavid beekins
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Dear PianoStudent,

So sorry that we did not get to meet in person. Next time you are in town, look us up!

Cheers,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Thank you Rich, I definitely will.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission