2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 114 of 341 1 2 112 113 114 115 116 340 341
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
But how did you choose this particular piece? More or less randomly?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well it is the first in the book. smile
It's also RH dominant, and as the RH pattern starts on an off-beat it's easy to get a "jazz vibe" from it.
The ètude is also about getting a wide - broad -sound and as Jazzwee writes: it's great for the 4-5 fingers.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Good to know, thanks--

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Apparently Chopin had some interesting chops. In some of his pieces you use your thumb to play two notes at once.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Random choice? No. I don't want to play a lot of classical. No time. So for jazz, you have to figure on technique builders. Chopin Etude 10/1 is apparently the most difficult Etude and I've seen it discussed over and over on Pianist corner and saw it was about arpeggios.

Another staple is Chopin Prelude in Em. This is good for jazz chord balance. For soft playing.

So I'm picking only classical for technique building, not for performance. And easy to memorize.

Perhaps Bach might be an option too but harder for me to memorize.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> Perhaps Bach might be an option too but harder for me to memorize.

That's what I was gonna say. Playing these pieces can be daunting if you're not a great reader. It just takes too much time.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
LOL. That's one of the reasons I liked 10/1. Ever look at it? Also the Em Prelude. Both very easy to read...

I have to say though, that my reading is getting better. My teacher actually put music in front of me and for the first time, I didn't freeze.

I think it's because of the jam sessions. At the last jam monday, every tune I played was sight reading. The keys were either changed for a Sax player or vocalist or brand new tune. Man, it's hard to think about a nice solo when I'm barely able to look away from the sheet music.

I think several times there I just played by ear because I didn't know where we were in the changes. I'm so curious about how bad I sounded in the recordings.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
So what happened? I mention a little Classical etude and everyone goes away?

What do you guys use for technique building?

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, I'm still here . . . just knackered getting this production to the printers in time.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> What do you guys use for technique building?
I've been using the omnibook for a good while. Gonna do some Bud Powell now. Doesn't it qualify as classical? Yeah, I think so.

++

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
>> What do you guys use for technique building?
I've been using the omnibook for a good while. Gonna do some Bud Powell now. Doesn't it qualify as classical? Yeah, I think so.

++

Great stuff. I look at it as a vocabulary builder though, not technique in itself.

I've got to do more of that myself.

Are you a pretty good reader Knotty? Fortunately, these are mostly single line. My reading has improved so now I'm no so afraid to tackle this stuff.

A friend from the Jam went to a classical teacher and he's being pounded with Bach.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> Great stuff. I look at it as a vocabulary builder though, not technique in itself.
You can use the omnibook for many purposes.
* ear training. Meaning you sing all the lines. It's tough
* Technique. As you approach Bird's tempo, it's really violent. Lots of wide intervals followed by small ones. Plenty of slides, weird fingerings. Makes your hand work.
* Phrasing, theory, swing. As you sing along, you pick up the articulation, swing and phrasing. You get better sense for what constitutes a good solo. Also, you get to see how he uses common tones and extensions, in very clever ways, and you can't help but steal a few ideas and try to apply them to various progressions.

>> Are you a pretty good reader Knotty?
No. Even single line is hard to read. The omnibook doesn't have key signatures, and that kinda makes sense, but it's also tough reading the odd rhythms and abundant accidentals. That said, I'd imagine sight reading Bach is tough.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
But classical offers the different side which is important to my playing. Dynamics, evenness, relaxation, stretch, control, etc.

Those cannot be found in older jazz players except maybe for Bill Evans.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
>> Are you a pretty good reader Knotty?
No. Even single line is hard to read. The omnibook doesn't have key signatures, and that kinda makes sense, but it's also tough reading the odd rhythms and abundant accidentals. That said, I'd imagine sight reading Bach is tough.

I can't sight read, but at least I can read an memorize now even with accidentals. I used to be at 2 seconds a note. Now I can handle 2 or 3 per second. smile heck of an improvement but hardly qualifies for sight reading. LOL.

I've been practicing with this Ipad app. And it tracks your progress with time response.

This is the most difficult thing for most us learning jazz smile The other hard part is that I can't look at sheet music while improvising. And once your eyes get off the page, it's hard to find where you are.

At my last jam session, everything I played was sight read chords. I didn't know the tunes. It's miraculous that I could even improvise over those. I just kept it simple. I'm really curious to listen to the recordings and see if I really messed up. Didn't lose myself on the chord sight reading I don't think.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm still here too. Just been busy. smile

I learned alot of classical as a kid, but my teachers never really taught me about dynamics, evenness, phrasing, control etc. I got alot of this my first 2 years in college though, when all I did was classical. I've also worked through all of the Hanon exercises... but I don't think they really helped much. For me, the most useful technique exercises seem to have been scales and arpeggios, and transcriptions.

Working on classical could help with technique, as long as it's done correctly. But, truth be said, I just don't have the interest in learning classical anymore. I can read alright but I just don't like it. I figure, the best thing I can do for myself is just keep learning new stuff and record and listen to my playing to find and correct control and evenness issues. I'm happy with not being a "refined" player. It gives me my own sound. cool

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
But classical offers the different side which is important to my playing. Dynamics, evenness, relaxation, stretch, control, etc.

Those cannot be found in older jazz players except maybe for Bill Evans.

You're kidding, right? How about every great pianist that preceded Evans? Surely they knew something about everything that you suggested above. All of the great stride pianists (Fats Waller, JP Johnson etc), not to mention Art Tatum do all of this and more. Ahmad Jamal, Phineas Newborn, George Shearing, Hank Jones, as contemporaries of Evans also shouldn't be forgotten.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta
...But, truth be said, I just don't have the interest in learning classical anymore. I can read alright but I just don't like it. I figure, the best thing I can do for myself is just keep learning new stuff and record and listen to my playing to find and correct control and evenness issues....

Scott, if you're a good reader, you really owe it to yourself to check out Scriabin. Amazing tunes, and will really teach you about inversions, substitutions, and modern voice leading techniques. And, to boot, he's written some very, very beautiful tunes.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Tunes? Scriabin? They'd kill you for that in the Pianist corner. Lol.

Tatum et al are obviously the best speed demons.

But you could say that Evans brought in things like touch and tone into jazz playing. Nowadays its something we expect of KJ, Mehldau, etc.

I like this style a lot.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Tunes? Scriabin? They'd kill you for that in the Pianist corner. Lol.

Man, sounds like a dangerous place there. But really, Scriabin wrote some cute little ditties.

Tatum et al are obviously the best speed demons.

Well there's quite a lot more to their playing than just speed. I'd think that trying to do any of their transcriptions would give you an equally challenging workout as Chopin might.

But you could say that Evans brought in things like touch and tone into jazz playing. Nowadays its something we expect of KJ, Mehldau, etc.

I like this style a lot.

I like this style too, but I'm not sure that the other pianists lack touch or tone necessarily. I think they are different styles more than anything.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I call this style "pianistic" jazz where some elements of classical piano are brought in. Most the top players of modern times play like this, starting with KJ of course.

A bit of contrast to Monk, Wynton Kelly, Garland, Garner who had a more raw sound that jazz was well known for.

Of course, I don't discount what Tatum, et al. have done in the past. I mentioned speed since the question was of technique not content.

Although I have never really been a fan of pre-bebop. When I started appreciating jazz, it was more because of Herbie and Miles. And that eventually led to everything else.

I remember telling one of my early teachers I wanted to learn Maiden Voyage and I was pretty much laughed at -- like what guts do I have to ask that before I even knew the basics smile It all seemed so easy at the time. Modal music sounded so cool to me.

My Jazz Blog

Page 114 of 341 1 2 112 113 114 115 116 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission