2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2016812 01/18/13 05:49 PM
D
Devnor Offline OP
OP Offline
D
My father passed away recently, he was a piano teacher in the Ft Worth TX area. His piano is a 1985 Steinway B, 6' 10" artist piano, impeccably kept/tuned. I'm curious what you think it might be worth.

Mom needs the cash and I plan on keeping his 7' Yamaha grand when she passes away. This has always been the plan. Dad always thought I was not "artist" enough to deserve that Steinway. Must be those synthesizers and guitars I love to play.

Thank you for any input.

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
You should search online for other Steinway Bs from the 80s that are offered for sale. www.pianobuyer.com has classified ads (linked to PianoMart) that should have several "comps'.

Keep in mind that the prices asked on pianos you see are going to be somewhat above the market. If they were at the market, they would be sold.

Also keep in mind that dealers generally can sell for more than a private party, as they provide additional services and a warranty.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

J
J
Have you tried googling "1985 Steinway B for sale". Doing so suggests 40-50k as a really rough estimate of "typical" asking prices.

The price you'll get is directly proportional to how long you are willing to wait to sell it though.

You might want to talk to a tech; it may be worth putting new hammers and/or a new action on it to help make it stand out in the crowd; it might equally be a complete waste of money. I'm not qualified to say, but at 30 years it's worth considering, especially if your father played a lot.

Last edited by jawhitti; 01/18/13 06:13 PM.
D
Devnor Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Mom already googled the 50K. I just can't see it selling for that, in this economy esp like you said with possible wear and other factors. He was a piano tech when he was younger and always maintained all 4 pianos. If something was up he would have fixed or otherwise taken care of it. Probably.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Devnor
Mom already googled the 50K. I just can't see it selling for that, in this economy esp like you said with possible wear and other factors. He was a piano tech when he was younger and always maintained all 4 pianos. If something was up he would have fixed or otherwise taken care of it. Probably.

Seems a more reasonable asking price for a 28 year old Steinway B would be between $30 - $40K. And I've even seen some of that vintage on the internet with asking prices in the high 20s.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
First of all, how long has it been since it was tuned? Someone considering an S&S-B will not put up with less than a fresh tuning. It's just part of the marketing plan. To do the tuning, you might choose a qualified piano technician and do a full inspection and appraisal for a sale. Many techs provide the service, knowing your area, and can be located through the Piano Technicians Guild.

www.ptg.org

Good luck with the sale.

BTW - $44-48K would be my guess for a "B" in perfect condition.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
J
J
Run it past your local dealers. Many of them will take pianos on consignment but they usuallly want about a 30% commision, I think. Even if you don't list with them they'll give you an idea of what to expect. You'll probably have better luck if you're in or near a large metro area.

In any case have a tech check it out. I'm kind of envious that you have such a Steinway - and you're looking to get rid of it! Nice problem to have...

Last edited by jawhitti; 01/18/13 08:52 PM.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
It depends. A new satin ebony Steinway B in 2013 sells for $90,000 and a total factory-rebuilt model B is valued by the company at $76,000. Low 30's is an appropriate starting point, but you will need to have it properly evaluated for a more precise figure. Anything higher than $40,000 is just wishful thinking, IMO.

FWIW, consigning a piano at a dealer is usually not a good idea. They often use consigned Steinways to lead customers into their store, and then try to sell one of the brands they carry, instead.

L
LFL Offline
L
In my recent piano search, I was offered a well-refurbished/reconditioned, approximately 1985, S&S B for around 40-45K. This was "refurbished" with Steinway parts, by a reputable, ex-Steinway technician. It was an excellent instrument. Just for comparison, then, I suspect yours may not be able to bring the 40K if it has not been at least "refurbished". I would not think you would need to consign it, unless it is too much of a hassle to sell it on your own, given that it is a Steinway, and even more because it is a popular model--the "B". I consigned a much lesser piano (compared to your Steinway) because I had to move; the dealer charged 40%....he did, however, sell it rather quickly.

Shigeru Kawai SK5L
D
Devnor Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you everyone for the input.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission