2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
Here's some Sierra Boggess clips (she has played both Fantine & Christine) for your viewing/listening pleasure:

From the very old musical "Show Boat", which goes way back to the 1920s - Jerome Kern composed the beautiful music for Hammerstein's lyrics, this being before he teamed up with Rogers):

From "The Sound of Music" (I think this song didn't appear in the Broadway production, but was written for the movie):

And from "Carousel" (the song I always thought was their most gorgeous...until I heard "Some Enchanted Evening"):

I have never heard Sierra B sing, she does have a lovely voice.
However, I had to stop listening to "Something good" after about 6 seconds, because Julie Andrews OWNS this song.
I just can't even listen to anyone else sing it....

(dang, I didn't realize how picky I am about this stuff! Yikes and yowsa!)

Last edited by piano joy; 01/18/13 11:33 AM.

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by rnaple

I personally want hard core love. The kind of love that loves in the face of destruction. The kind of love that is greater than death.

Good luck with that.

Would you settle for a death that is more needless and tragic than most?

(note my defiance to use multiple quotes in one post...)

Philip Quast does this character justice, in my opinion.
Perfect voice for this song, too. A +

Ron, I do so hope you love the live performance of Les Mis because NOW your expectations are very, very high!
Maybe you should listen to some REALLY BAD singing before you go....

Last edited by piano joy; 01/18/13 11:34 AM.

-the Beatles

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piano joy

I have never heard Sierra B sing, she does have a lovely voice.
However, I had to stop listening to "Something good" after about 6 seconds, because Julie Andrews OWNS this song.
I just can't even listen to anyone else sing it....

"Something Good" is such a soft, sweet and serene song and it's so easy and heartwarming to listen to - you're right that Julie does own this song - always has, always will - and yet...and yet...Sierra does have a lovely voice and she handles it romantically and delightfully, and I think Julie herself would smile and applaud...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ron - I've been meaning to tell you for awhile that back when I suggested you attend "Les Mis" in Michigan after looking at the tour schedule I was straining to recall my grade school geography and had this vague picture of it being closer to you than Colorado - right after you told us you got tiks to a Colorado performance I checked a map and discovered to my surprise and dismay that my recollection of the physical relationship of the states to one another had become grossly distorted over the years laugh Funny how that happens...at least to some of us...

Also, I wanted to tell you that I've been watching the 25th Anniversary Concert on YT lately and have gradually come to the conclusion that Samantha Barks is better than I originally thought - much more so in this than in the movie - there's magic in the live performance!).

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 01/18/13 05:52 PM.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

R
rnaple Offline OP

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
...Ron, I do so hope you love the live performance of Les Mis because NOW your expectations are very, very high!....

I am thoroughly enjoying the book. I remember reading that when they came out with this play. They were scorned, hated, slandered by all the critics and tabloids. The same happened with the original play in France. They said there was no way a musical could do Les Mis justice. But the audiences disagreed, 100 percent.
I live, listening to people's hearts. All they have to do in the play is put all their heart in it. This is what attracted me to the music from the play in the first place. My first video was Lea singing I Dreamed a Dream.
This is also why I wasn't as harsh as some on the movie.

...Maybe you should listen to some REALLY BAD singing before you go....

Got that covered. I got a recording of Trapper singing: Master of the House. smile smile smile Then, he goes from bad to worse singing her part of the duet. smile smile smile

Ron - I've been meaning to tell you for awhile ... in Michigan ...you got tiks to a Colorado performance I checked ...

Most people have to think about anything in SD being close to Denver. Their first impression is usually; "surely you jest". As you saw. I'm in the far south west corner of the state. That's close to Denver. If I were in (wannabe NY) Sioux Falls (little tiny wannabe NY). smile Then Michigan might work. It's about a 6 hour drive to Minneapolis, St. Paul. Da Hills are a very special place. Very unlike anything else in South Dakota.

...have gradually come to the conclusion that Samantha Barks is better than I originally thought ...

I have found I really like many who have done parts in Les Mis. All they have to do is put all their heart into it. Samantha does this. She is one of the few from the play in the movie. Saw an interview of her's on the movie. She did a very good job of being diplomatic, courteous, and kind toward all the movie was.
I understand about live. I think it has to do with a person repeatedly perfecting a personal masterpiece. Also I just gotta say it... I think Samantha is adorable.

Last edited by rnaple; 01/19/13 06:57 AM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

...Maybe you should listen to some REALLY BAD singing before you go....

Got that covered. I got a recording of Trapper singing: Master of the House. smile smile smile Then, he goes from bad to worse singing her part of the duet. smile smile smile

Well, "Master of the House" indeed - I can be pretty sleazy and "tell a saucy tale" and "peek into the "occupied bridal suite" too like him - but listening to that should set you up nicely to appreciate the "slightly better" or "more polished" performances you'll see in the show - hey, but I'm at least as good a singer as Russel Crowe, which should give you a big clue about just how really bad I am... smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Last night on the local PBS station in our area they broadcast the special 25th Anniversary Performance of "Phantom of the Opera" from the Royal Albert Hall in London from 9pm to near midnight - I stayed up to watch it, although it was way past my usual bedtime of 10 pm or so - it was well worth it!

Excellent production and outstanding performances - Sierra played Christine and Ramin Karimloo played the Phantom - both were superb - here's a clip:

And you must see this - after the show some former "Phantoms" serenade the audience (and Andrew Lloyd Webber) - one of the Phantoms is Colm!!! Sara Brightman and Michael Crawford were also there, although strangely Michael didn't sing?!?

And here's Sierra talking about the show:

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 01/19/13 10:43 AM.

R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
Darn it! NBC Universal went and blocked my 25th anniversary encore finale of Les Mis on YT! I liked that! Looks like I'm gonna have to buy it early. Not even sure I can find the right one. Some I see on amazon have german writing and such. Gonna have to be careful. Gee.... I've been planning on buying the 10th and 25th. Wanted to wait to get a Mac first. I already got: The Complete Symphonic Recording on hard copy. You don't suppose NBC Universal would change their mind until I get my new Mac, do you?

Gee Trapper... Is interesting watching Sierra interviewed. She is actually a very real gal. Doesn't at all seem full of herself. Even though a person would prejudge that with her looks. I'm liking her more and more.
Glad you got to see the 25th Anniversary Phantom. Should have been great. That play is another one I want to see.
Oh yes Trapper.... You definitely have a much better high falsetto cow moo than Russel. Definitely adds humor to her part of the song.

Ron
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I don't know...doesn't sound right to me if M.Crawford is not singing THE part....just not right, I don't care how good the other voices sound!

The only thing R.Crowe had going for him was his looks- are his looks, I mean.
I do think he's a great actor (what was that movie about the schizophrenic mathematician...??) but should reserve singing for the shower- like the rest of us!

wish I had caught that 25th anniv special, darn!

-the Beatles

R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
I don't know...doesn't sound right to me if M.Crawford is not singing THE part....just not right, I don't care how good the other voices sound...

I am in the camp that thinks the Phantom needs to have a stronger bottom end. M. Crawford and the rest just aren't as good as I think the Phantom could be. I'll need to demonstrate one day. smile

BTW: I went ahead and bought the 25th Les Mis concert. I got the electronic version on amazon. I didn't need to wait for my new Mac. They keep it there. I just log on and play it. Didn't cost alot either. Noticed they brought in the original cast at the end. Did a couple songs. That was nice. Colm and everybody. Also...have to admit...even on my computer it is a whole lot better quality than YT.

Also the schitzophrenic mathmatician and Russel. That movie was "A Beautiful Mind". About John Forbes Nash Jr. A Nobel Prize winner. When my father saw this. He said that reminded him of me. I'm always viewing things from a different point of view than everyone else. Yes that's true. But I have used my mind to find greater answers. I know where Mr. Nash's sickness came from and it won't happen to me. I also know the flaw in his Nobel prize winning theory. This thinking is where I get ideas for original songs.

Last edited by rnaple; 01/19/13 10:32 PM.

Ron
R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
I keep getting these messages on my computer that say: "Three people have unfriended you."

Now who the heck told them to friend me in the first place?

Ron
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Gee Trapper...
Glad you got to see the 25th Anniversary Phantom. Should have been great. That play is another one I want to see...

Me too - it was - you should must!

I think you could relate to or identify with the Phantom rather closely and smartly - talk about a love greater than death - with him I'm not sure if it's love or a psychotic obsession (although there is sometimes a very fine line of distinction between the two laugh )...

Speaking of that, one of the non-musical scenes in the movie version of "Phantom" that I liked best, and which I thought was a stroke of artistic genius, was near the end when it was about 50 years after the events depicted in most of the movie and the old Count was being pushed by a nurse in a wheelchair in the quiet cemetery where his late wife Christine was buried - he pauses in deep thought for awhile and then places the "musical monkey" that had once belonged to the Phantom on her tombstone, and then as he is about to turn away and leave he notices out of the corner of his eye a single red rose lying on a corner of the stone...the implication being that it had just been recently placed there by the Phantom, who was still alive yet (he was assumed to be dead all these years) and still passionately in love with Christine...leaving a single red rose for her after each performance had been the practice of the Phantom whenever Christine had sung at the opera so many years before...what a warm and tender and inspired scene... Here it is:

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 01/20/13 08:23 PM.

R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
...places the "musical monkey" that had once belonged to the Phantom on her tombstone, and then as he is about to turn away and leave he notices out of the corner of his eye a single red rose lying on a corner of the stone...the implication being that it had just been recently placed there by the Phantom, ...

I think I mentioned it to you before.
Notice what the Count brought to the tombstone? A very dear, personal possession of the Phantom's.
All the count was able to give Christine was shallow. The Phantom gave her deep down riches. He taught her how to sing. The Phantom also showed them both deep down love that the Count was just now beginning to comprehend. That love it took to let the Count go and tell them to "get out".

I'm learning one thing by reading the Les Mis book. If you want to tell society off. Write a book. Hugo didn't leave anyone out. Told them all off. All of them who's hearts are in the shallow meaningless things of this world.

Last edited by rnaple; 01/20/13 09:50 PM.

Ron
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

All the count was able to give Christine was shallow. The Phantom gave her deep down riches. He taught her how to sing.

So the story goes...and she thought he was the "angel of music" her deceased father had promised to send to her from heaven - but she was young and naive and innocent and the Phantom relentlessly stalked her and spied on her and tried to control her body and mind and spirit, i.e., possess her in full, gruesome totality - this is, in the final analysis, nothing more than, nor other than, obsessive psychosis - not to mention pathetically criminal - he deserved a fate far worse than he got, like maybe hanging from the famous chandelier - wow, what a spectacular ending that would have been (worthy of it's own special song)!

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 01/21/13 07:39 PM.

R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
...this is, in the final analysis, nothing more than, nor other than, obsessive psychosis - ...

In the final analysis. Obsessive psychosis does not release them from his complete control and tell them to get out.

Ron
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

From the wonderfully delightful "Fiddler on the Roof" one of Broadway's most beautiful tunes:

And not your average "line dancing" at the reception:

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
re: above

Heavy sigh....so, so lovely...
Who even writes lyrics like that anymore?
Sunrise, Sunset is so well suited for the piano ,too.

Ok, I'll bite ( wink )
This violin solo below is sheer beauty. I've heard it say the piano sings and the violin cries. This makes me *almost* wish I played violin instead of the piano (well, it WOULD be much easier to lug around!)

-the Beatles

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I can understand your strong attraction for the violin pj - especially played like that!

I just ordered the following from sheetmusicplus.com - not sure why I haven't been playing from it for a long time now, but I will make up for lost time...

Les Mis songbook

R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
Been busy reading a book. smile
Thought you all might enjoy this parody. Anne is the odds on favorite at the Oscars.

I wish they'd do a show with all the commercials from the superbowl. I can't tolerate football just to see those highly creative commercials.

I keep getting these messages that my arrest record is online... just click here to see it.
How did I get an arrest record? Doh! crazy

Ron
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ron - even a good parody of a really bad performance would be painful to watch - this is not necessarily a good parody...so, somehow there's a double sin here...

What is it exactly that possesses some stars in their warped, twisted, exaggerated image of themselves as entertainers that they insist on singing a song that they must know has been done so much better by others, and that in so doing they are simply making themselves out as fools by looking so incredibly bad by comparison? Why on earth would they do this?

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission