2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
It is intresting that the musical term has been so corrupted by its use in the digital world. In musicology and theory, polyphony and voicing would not be confused or interchanged.

Not just in digital grin.

I was brought up on classical music, and always thought 'voicing' meant the weighting of individual notes within chords or rapid passages where the melodies and counterpoints ('polyphony') etc are within their midst.

Then I came upon some posts by jazz pianists and realized they meant something completely different......

If music be the food of love, play on!

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
You can also think of voicing in terms of choice in choral composition or orchestration. But, it remains separate from polyphony.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
You can also think of voicing in terms of choice in choral composition or orchestration. But, it remains separate from polyphony.

Yes, and in jazz voicing refers to how you distribute the notes of your chords. ie, inversions, closely spaced/widely spaced, omitted notes etc. There are a lot of terms in music that require us to have very good understanding of the context and application.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jefinho

The N1 was slightly different. I still got the "grand piano feel" - but it wasn't as good as the N2 and 3.

I was a bit disappointed in the NU1. I really looked forward to trying this one out cause I read lot some positive stories in this forum.

That's because it does have an upright action. If you compared it to an acoustic upright like the U3, it's actually pretty similar. So if you went into the NU1 thinking it is an upright piano, your impression would be much better. Also, the positive sentiment has a lot to do with its price. The N1, N2, N3 are so much more expensive, my expectation would be also much higher. Value is always part of any evaluation whether or not people mention it. In other words since the P85 is only $500, it's absolutely awesome - at that price it just has to work to be great. For an $80K Steinway, it had better move heaven and earth for me, or else it's not a good deal.

jefinho Offline OP
OP Offline
Look I was predicting the N3X in 2013! smile

Steinway & Sons M (Hamburg), Kawai MP11SE, Rösler 108
Past: Yamaha N3, Kawai MP8, Kawai CA51, GEM RP3, F. Schmid & Co.
I happen to be lucky enough to own awesome acoustic pianos. I love them. That being said, the the N3 is no slouch. I get 95% of the acoustic piano experience with 0% of the hassle. Sit down, play one, and see what you think. Or bring out your checkbook for a truly amazing acoustic piano that can do better.

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

Practice: Bosie 200, Yam N3
Live: Nord Piano 4, Stage 3 Compact
Amps: QSC K.2s, RCF TT08-s, FA 12-ac, CPS SSv3
Support: STAY stands, X-Air mixers, Vent II, etc
C
C
Originally Posted by jefinho
Look I was predicting the N3X in 2013! smile

I hadn't heard about the N3x till I read this. It doesn't appear to have changed much—apart from sampling the CFX instead of the CFIII, the only thing that really stood out in the specs was that it can record 10 songs instead of one, with 550 kb per song instead of 300kb. And the number of speakers went down by one, but the power of some of the speakers increased (although the largest are still 80W).

Have you tried one out yet to compare with yours?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My opinion FWIW - there is no digital piano YET on the market that is an exact analog to a good acoustic piano, well tuned, regulated and voiced.

Why buy a hybrid?

It's the cost of that "well tuned, regulated and voiced" qualifier.

I can think of several reasons related to teaching in a university.

1) The recurring maintenance cost of tuning is reduced to zero. I'm unaware that these instruments will ever need voicing; I would think that regulation would be somewhat less costly than for an acoustic piano. This is a big deal for today's cash starved music departments at all but our best and well financed schools. I argue that an N2, or an N3, is a better practice piano than a poorly maintained acoustic grand, and many schools simply do not have the budget for proper maintenance.

2) The footprint of the piano, e.g., the N2, is smaller than a concert grand, and there are times, e.g., as an orchestral piano - NOT as a concerto solo piano with orchestra - when the sound will be (more than) good enough to suffice in performance. At UMW, our orchestra performs on a stage which is a bit on the small side. If we can keep our concert grand in its locker off stage, we have more room for the rest of the orchestra on the stage. We can also plug an N2 directly into our house sound system.

I think the N2 is the "sweet spot" in the Avant Grand lineup from a price/performance point of view.

As for the NU series, they have an action that emulates an upright vs. a grand in them. I can see a use for them in the classroom as well as in practice rooms used by music students other than piano majors. I'd rather have them working on a grand action

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission