Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2013098 - 01/11/13 09:27 PM New Age Piano...
Sandra M Offline

Hello and yes I am a lady and elder at that. So why am I here? I love composing and as a hobby I compose New Age piano solo music. Always love minor chords and now exploring 2 and 4 Suspend chords. Next polytonal as I read this used by many New Age composers. Input please as to how I can improve? Sandra M

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2013354 - 01/12/13 10:33 AM Re: New Age Piano... [Re: Sandra M]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Immersion is a good way to force a person to write more. Writing more will almost surely lead to a big improvement, especially if a person has never done that before. The next big Internet event is in February, write an album in a month. It is a community. Most participants are guitar playing singer-songwriters. However, there are more than a few instrumentalists and other kinds of songwriters and composers. It is also a good place to find collaborators and to get exposed to a lot of creative people.

http://fawm.org/

The subconscious mind is powerful. If a person joins a group where everyone sets a goal of writing and recording 12 to 18 works in one month, the subconscious mind can take a person there. Yes, I know it seems impossible for most, or unpleasant to think about churning out that kind of output. And yes, there will almost always be some low quality work in the mix. The other side of this is the ratio of "good work" usually remains near constant. So more output means more good work.

I will again point to Bach, who had a job where he was expected to compose, transcribe with primitive equipment, and have rehearsed with the musicians, 25 minutes of new music every week.

A similar immersion group is what jump started me as a songwriter. My participation in 50 songs in 90 days, took me from writing one song a year, only when inspired, to writing 25 songs in 2 months. Like others reading this, I thought it impossible before I tried it. Really I had no intention of writing so much, I just was curious what others were writing. Once I joined, the creative juices started flowing. Setting aside blocks of time every day were another key.

Other things a person can do are to take music appreciation, music history courses. There are also music theory, and composition courses and books as well. Some are online, some are at local schools. Each person will find varying value in the books and courses. Personally, I favor music appreciation and history. The theory usually gets too heavy into jargon (which makes my eyes glaze over), and composition too heavy into sheet music (where I am at a first grade level or below so can not follow the discussion).

The analogy I use is that studying will give a person more vocabulary, but the act of writing will improve a person's writing skills. There is a balance in there, especially for novices. However, most would-be songwriters and composers would do well to write more and study less.

/edit to add:
For those interested in courses, here are two that I have done. The first is a free course focused on classical music appreciation:
http://oyc.yale.edu/music/musi-112

The second is a multipart (like 20 parts) 10 minute per segment, series on Youtube. I believe it was broadcast on PBS and/or BBC. The link is to Part 1 of How Rhythm Works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_jEkNiYFNc

Edited by Sand Tiger (01/12/13 10:55 AM)

#2013856 - 01/13/13 10:18 AM Re: New Age Piano... [Re: Sandra M]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I found a Youtube video from a man named Torley on how to play romantic piano music. What he calls romantic, many would call New Age. Torley deconstructs some Yanni, Glass, and Tiersan pieces, and then teaches some simple parts for a person to use in their own compositions. For the theory folks there are trills, austenatos, octave chords, something he calls a pirouette (four note closed arpeggio).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AKw16S2jfY

I found it very interesting. There are some simple tips, but even more valuable is the process of deconstruction and learning from popular pieces that a person might admire.

Good luck on your journey Sandra. I read some of your other posts and look forward to hearing some of your music. On the beginners forum, there is the monthly Piano Bar, and the quarterly recital. Here on the composer's forum there is the monthly thread for sharing new work.

#2013983 - 01/13/13 04:04 PM Re: New Age Piano... [Re: Sand Tiger]
Sandra M Offline

SandTiger... A huge THANK YOU... Cannot wait to hear your music later tonight. ADDED AFTER HEARING YOUR MUSIC... I did listen to your music and I must say to be self taught you are exceptional. I hear much talent. My piano teacher told me if someone is talented it never goes anywhere. So no matter what age it will come through as yours does. Thank you again so much for all your great information and sharing your talent with us too. Sandra M

Edited by Sandra M (01/13/13 07:59 PM)

#2014187 - 01/14/13 01:50 AM New Age Piano... [Re: Sandra M]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Sandra M
. . . So why am I here? I love composing and as a hobby I compose New Age piano solo music.

So, Sandra,

If you are ready, I think it is time for you to post the score from one of your compositions, so we can see how you are working.
Ed

#2014279 - 01/14/13 08:06 AM Re: New Age Piano... [Re: LoPresti]
Sandra M Offline

Hello, I love discussing composition and learning more than performing at this time. I will share with you later but now I am wanting to learn from all of you. Sandra M

#2014512 - 01/14/13 03:24 PM Re: New Age Piano... [Re: Sandra M]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Sandra M
. . . I love discussing composition and learning more than performing at this time. I will share with you later but now I am wanting to learn from all of you.

Sort of like Harvey Keitel in the movie THE PIANO:
Originally Posted By: Harvey Keitel on playing the piano
I want to learn by watching . . .

#2017280 - 01/19/13 01:58 PM Re: New Age Piano... [Re: Sandra M]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here's another YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACRefvVPHQ

Bill Hilton on what he calls an Advanced Comping Exercise for Ballads. It says advanced, but some of the techniques covered are easy enough for beginner composers and pianists. It says Ballads, but again, the techniques can be adopted and modified.

Hilton talks about rocking split chords, and then moves on to coloring chords with suspended 2nds and 4ths. He uses offset rhythms and simple one note and two note left hand harmonies while playing the rocking or colored chords on the right hand.

I have no connection with any of the Youtube links or lesson links that I have referenced. I am sharing part of my journey and some things I might find interesting or useful.

#2017293 - 01/19/13 02:18 PM Re: New Age Piano... [Re: Sand Tiger]
Sandra M Offline

Sand Tiger... Thank you and I made a note in my journal and will look up Bill Hilon now with the comping exercises for ballards... Comping for a singer was my next piano project. This is great information and thank you again. Sandra M

#2018234 - 01/21/13 09:05 AM Re: New Age Piano... [Re: Sandra M]
Justplay Offline

Oh this is awesome!! It would be so cool if Piano World had a "New Age" Forum. Thanks for all this info!

#2034490 - 02/16/13 09:24 PM Re: New Age Piano... [Re: Sandra M]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Susan Capestro demonstrates a New Age Improvisation in D flat major:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6g6YYc0Nco

I put this lesson to immediate use and recorded two minutes of meditation music, Casio PX-150 on Vibraphone:
https://www.box.com/s/cazpz7k3todipcqkk2mg

This upload also fits in with my recent theme of a Pentatonic scale on the black keys only. I have tried to play meditation music in the past, and found it to be elusive.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
Today at 03:43 AM
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
Today at 03:11 AM
Lindblad Steinway rebuilt pianos
by brahms
Today at 02:54 AM
Got the VPC1! Hooked up the Ivory! Played Brahms.
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:13 AM
Pianos of Downton Abbey
by Almaviva
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Who's Online
58 registered (AliAlkhiro, arX, beeboss, angga888, Beemer, 14 invisible), 1085 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158436 Topics
2326676 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission