Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2016776 - 01/18/13 03:11 PM My students is so confused...
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
half step
half note
half cadences
eight note is half a beat

They are not the same thing, but somehow some of my students keep thinking they are related.

Any tips when deliver these concepts?
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2016787 - 01/18/13 03:43 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: ezpiano.org
half step
half note
half cadences

They are not the same thing, but somehow some of my students keep thinking they are related.

How are you presenting them presently, and in what manner are they confused?

#2016789 - 01/18/13 03:47 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I've never encountered this problem before. I've seen kids who confuse finger numbers with beat numbers (counts).

Hold off on explaining note values and beats until the kid has had learned division and fractions in school.

You don't have to explain all the concepts if the student struggles. One can still play the piano fine without knowing what a half cadence is. In the grand scheme of things, it's really no big deal if the student doesn't know what a half step is.

#2016795 - 01/18/13 04:05 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: keystring]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keystring
How are you presenting them presently, and in what manner are they confused?

This might be a problem with understanding multiple denotations. Some kids automatically shut down when they get overwhelmed with too much information.

#2016807 - 01/18/13 04:38 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
For once I'm grateful for UK-speak.

What's a half-cadence then?

Students will confuse anything, given half a chance.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2016808 - 01/18/13 04:42 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Wikipedia says a half-cadence is "any cadence ending on V" and says an alternate name is semicadence.

What do you call it in the UK?

I had to look it up because I have never yet succeeded in memorizing all the cadence names (apart from plagal), partly because every time I try, I soon find another source which uses a different set of cadence names. I think what I need to learn is the function and significance of different cadence patterns, regardless of names, and then it would be easier for me to hang names on them.

#2016841 - 01/18/13 06:09 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
drumour Offline
500 Post Club Member

It's generally referred to as Imperfect Cadence or Half-close.

#2016854 - 01/18/13 06:51 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
half step
half note
half cadences

Where I am it's:

Semitone
Minim
Imperfect cadence
quaver is half a (crotchet) beat

No worries. (well, not the same worries, anyway) smile

#2016890 - 01/18/13 07:53 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

half step
half note
half cadences

If a student is unsure about what is a half-step, or that a 1/8 note is half a beat (but not in 6/8 or 12/8 time!), then the concept of a half cadence is too advanced for them. For them it is rocket science.

Stick with the fundamentals until they are well established.

#2017067 - 01/19/13 03:44 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

As has been said, if a cadence ends on V, it is imperfect.

I'm with rocket, surely by the time they are on to cadences, they have internalised the rest?

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2017068 - 01/19/13 03:44 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm with rocket, surely by the time they are on to cadences, they have internalised the rest?

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2017183 - 01/19/13 10:48 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]

Nobody has talked about this, which concerns me:

Quote:
eight note is half a beat?

An eighth note is NOT a half beat. No note in and of itself is any proportion of a beat. That depends on the time signature.

What happens is that students get music in the beginning that always has 4 in the signature: 4/4, 3/4, 2/4 They learn that the "quarter note gets the beat", and they associate the quarter note with the beat. They think the quarter IS the beat. Then when they get 3/8 etc. it is mass confusion.

An eighth note is half of a quarter note. Two eighth notes fit in the time of one quarter note. If the quarter note gets the beat, then two eighth notes will fit into that beat, but the relationship is with the quarter note, not with the beat.

#2017221 - 01/19/13 11:57 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Rocket addressed it above.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2017228 - 01/19/13 12:16 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ten left thumbs]

Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs

I see what you are referring to - this:
Quote:
If a student is unsure about what is a half-step, or that a 1/8 note is half a beat (but not in 6/8 or 12/8 time!),

But this involves compound vs. simple time. Also, the same kind of terminology is being used, that equates notes with beats. When teaching rudiments I make very sure that the student makes a difference between relationship between note values, and beats. They tend to fuse, and they shouldn't.

#2017241 - 01/19/13 12:43 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I didn't get into a thorough dissertation about the fact that a note is not a beat because that is not the topic of this thread. (Good catch, though, Keystring!)

The topic as I see it is that a teacher appears to be teaching a somewhat advanced concept (half cadences) to students who are so ungrounded in the basics that they are confused about elementary things such as a half-step and a half-note, and perhaps also with whatever other musical terms happen to begin with the word "half".

#2017243 - 01/19/13 12:53 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: keystring]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

But this involves compound vs. simple time. Also, the same kind of terminology is being used, that equates notes with beats. When teaching rudiments I make very sure that the student makes a difference between relationship between note values, and beats. They tend to fuse, and they shouldn't.

If the student confuses half notes with half beats, then this simple vs. compound meter stuff will just fly over her head. I steer clear of explaining simple vs. compound meter until the student is in the 4th or 5th grade (or later).

#2017245 - 01/19/13 12:57 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ten left thumbs]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Well, "perfect" vs. "imperfect" cadence means a totally different thing here in the states. You want to look that up, too?

#2017307 - 01/19/13 02:29 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wikipedia gives definitions using the set of terminology where perfect and imperfect refer to types of voicing of a V-I cadence. Unfortunately, the article doesn't seem to talk about the different sets of terminologies where the same words mean completely different things. Here is a page using the set of terms where perfect vs. imperfect refers to V-I vs. I-V, but it doesn't say if there are any terms in that set to describe the voicings of V-I cadences, in particular to distinguish the bass & soprano = tonic from the other voicings.

#2017325 - 01/19/13 02:44 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: AZNpiano]

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano

If the student confuses half notes with half beats, then this simple vs. compound meter stuff will just fly over her head. I steer clear of explaining simple vs. compound meter until the student is in the 4th or 5th grade (or later).

My point was that compound vs. simple meter was being stressed, but that is not the problem. The problem is in stating that a NOTE VALUE EQUALS A FRACTION OF A BEAT. It doesn't. (emphasizing - not shouting smile )

#2017328 - 01/19/13 02:48 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: AZNpiano]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Well, "perfect" vs. "imperfect" cadence means a totally different thing here in the states. You want to look that up, too?

Good to know, thanks for alerting me. According to this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadence_(music)
and imperfect cadence can be a kind of 'authentic' cadence (which I would have called a 'perfect' cadence).

Confusion abounds!

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2017329 - 01/19/13 02:48 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: AZNpiano]

Could you clarify, AZN? What does it mean in the US?

In RCM we learn that a "perfect" cadence is the type that ends a phrase, i.e. it ends on I. V-I, V7-I. Then there are subgroups such as the "authentic" where the melody note is 1.

"imperfect" ends on V, such as I-V and IV-V - it gives a pause or idea that there is a second half (other phrase) and similar.

"plagal" is the "amen chord"

"deceptive cadence" fools you ... you think you're going to I, but instead it goes to vi ... V-vi.

These are basic concepts taught over here. How do they compare to the US? I have never heard of a "half cadence" before this week.

#2017344 - 01/19/13 03:13 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The Wikipedia page I linked to earlier gives the terminology that I believe AZNPiano is referring to, where perfect/imperfect refer to voicings of a V-I cadence, and V-I cadences vs. I-V cadences are called authentic vs. half cadences.

This is helping me, because I had never quite realized that the different terminology might be English (Commonwealth) vs. American. I have a variety of harmony books; now I'm curious as to which terms they use, and if it correlates with where they were published.

#2017345 - 01/19/13 03:15 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Am I imagining this, or are V-I cadences sometimes called closed cadences, and I-V cadences are sometimes called open cadences?

And if I-V cadences are called half-cadences in one system, why aren't V-I cadences called full cadences in that system?

[ETA: yikes! I just spotted what keystring said about authentic cadences in the system she learned. So in both systems a V-I cadence with the melody ending on the tonic is a perfect authentic cadence, but in one system perfect means V-I and authentic means melody ends on tonic. And in the other system it's exactly the reverse: perfect means the melody ends on tonic and authentic means V-I. Horrible, horrible, horrible. No wonder I've always been confused when I tried to learn the terminology.]

Edited by PianoStudent88 (01/19/13 03:20 PM)

#2017425 - 01/19/13 05:38 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

LOL

This thread has truly evolved. Way OT.

I did not know what a perfect authentic cadence is, either, until some kid put that answer on his CM theory test, and the entire grading room was clueless, so we had to consult the expert. It turns out that perfect/imperfect (at least in the American system) is used to describe the voicing of the final chord, to have the tonic on the top and bottom. So the kid's answer was actually correct. The concept of perfect/imperfect is not part of the CM curriculum.

Now who's confused???

#2017435 - 01/19/13 05:53 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]

Ah, I found the half cadence in my (literally) dusty Sarnecki.

Perfect - V-I
denotes resolution. (So if in the start of your music you have a bunch of V-I-V-I-V-I to establish the tonic, that's note a cadence).
- If the I chord has the melody end on the tonic, then it is "closed" and it's the strongest kind of cadence. Well obviously, if a song ends on the tonic that's pretty final.
- If the melody ends on the 3 or 5 of the I chord, then it is "semi-closed". In other words, you expect the music to continue.

Perfect is also called "authentic" in this system.

Imperfect of Half Cadence (here's where they use this) I-V
- It's designated as "open" because you expect the music to continue even if a section might be finished.

So the kid's answer was actually correct.

So kid got his mark for the answer, I take it?

I am guessing that Sarnecki is being "bilingual" or "bi-geographic" by using Perfect as well as Authentic, and then Imperfect as well as Half. Are Authentic and Half used in the US?

(This might be a question for Kreisler).

Edited by keystring (01/19/13 05:54 PM)

#2017461 - 01/19/13 06:41 PM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I learned about perfect and imperfect authentic cadences back in my college days. Not that I really have much use for that information, 30 years later . . .

#2017678 - 01/20/13 06:11 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]

We have not yet heard back from ezpiano, to find out exactly where the problem lies, or how these things are being presented.

#2017711 - 01/20/13 08:22 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
Morodiene Online   content

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL

I see what you are referring to - this:
Quote:
If a student is unsure about what is a half-step, or that a 1/8 note is half a beat (but not in 6/8 or 12/8 time!),

When you are first introducing note values to a student, you are going to tell them that a quarter note gets one beat, half note gets, two, etc. Same with 1/8 notes. Issues of compound meter opens up a whole new can of worms that the student may not be ready to process yet, and so I see no problem avoiding the topic altogether by speaking only in the time signatures that the student is currently working with when learning a new note.

With that said, why are they learning about cadences at this point? I can see learning how to play I IV V I progressions, but I wouldn't introduce the word "cadence" at all for a while.

Same goes for half steps, although these can be introduced as long as they are taught alongside whole steps. Then there is little room for confusion with half notes. It's half step vs. whole step. And neither should be taught prior to a good understanding of intervals, IMO.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2018130 - 01/21/13 01:52 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: ezpiano.org]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
I am sorry for late reply.
Here is the order of presentation (the length of lesson is approximately and differ from students to students)
Half note is two beat by 2nd month of lesson.
Eighth note is half a beat by 5th month of lesson.
Then some student would confuse that half note is only half beat, or call eighth note a half note.
Half step by about 8th month of lesson.
When asked what is a half step, some students will tell me half step is 2 beats. In that case, I would then play a half step then a whole step on piano then ask him which one is a half step, the student would get it right.
Mostly those that confused will get the right answer if I provide them some choices in the answer, but they won't get it right without choices.
Half cadences by 2 years of lesson.
When asked what is half cadences, again, some students will tell me 2 beats. In this case, then I have to provide them the list of V-I, or I-V, or IV-I, then they will get the right answer for half cadence.
So, again, those confused will get right answer only if I provide the choices. They can't get it right if I only ask: "What is half cadence?"
I hope I make sense here.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2018152 - 01/21/13 03:00 AM Re: My students is so confused... [Re: keystring]
musicpassion Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
I am guessing that Sarnecki is being "bilingual" or "bi-geographic" by using Perfect as well as Authentic, and then Imperfect as well as Half. Are Authentic and Half used in the US?

No it's not repeating the same thing.

In the U.S. the term Authentic is describing the harmonic movement of V-I. Perfect is describing how the chord is voiced, specifically that the tonic is in the upper or soprano voice in the I chord. So a Perfect Authentic Cadence means the harmonic progression is V - I, and the ending I chord has scale degree one in the soprano voice. (It seems you have the terminology of calling this a "closed cadence"?) An Imperfect Authentic Cadence would still have the harmonic movement of V - I, but would have either scale degree 3 or 5 in the soprano voice.

So the student on his CM test knew exactly what he was talking about.

The Aldwell/Schachter Harmony and Voice Leading also identifies "semicadence" as another name for "half cadence", but I've heard "half cadence" used more often by U.S. educated musicians.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Besides Evenness, Any other tips for good Trilling?
by Paul678
15 minutes 25 seconds ago
October Piano Bar
by ladypayne
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Kimbal Viennese
by Jennymomofboys
Yesterday at 10:40 PM
Taking the hammers with you to do voicing.. ?
by InfiniteClouds
Yesterday at 08:19 PM
Pop instrumental
by Michael Forbes
Yesterday at 08:05 PM
Who's Online
110 registered (aceydawg, Abby Pianoman, A Guy, 38 invisible), 1451 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157901 Topics
2319020 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission