Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 126 of 238 < 1 2 ... 124 125 126 127 128 ... 237 238 >
Topic Options
#2032272 - 02/13/13 04:51 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Wait, wait, you have an Avant Grand? Why would you ever need to go shopping? Are you going to buy a 100k+ concert grand?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2032283 - 02/13/13 05:54 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Allard]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
No, I like my Avant Grand N2, but I miss the feel of an acoustic piano. I am looking for a small grand, around 158 cm. I had a Mason Hamlin BB in the US, and I really miss that mellow, rich sound. I do not have the space (or budget) for anything nearly that big or powerful. The AG is an excellent practice piano, but I find it does not have the touch or tone that I would like. It is a compromise that is perfect living in an apartment. I intend to keep it as well for silent practice. However, if I can have a small grand, that would be wonderful.

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2032288 - 02/13/13 06:17 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Yay, I can finally post an achievement! I can now say that I'm officially done with Alfred's book 2!

I will keep practicing a few favorite pieces, but starting next Monday I will be on book 3. I sketched a plan for the rest of the year featuring a mix of Alfred's + sight-reading + technique + ear playing and I'm pretty excited by it smile

#2032313 - 02/13/13 07:46 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Pareto principle...sure that makes sense that it works with piano as well. I haven't had a lesson in weeks...work interferes with my Friday morning time slot. I've still be assigning myself challenges. Last week when I was at the Piano Celebration at the university I met a woman who teaches. We talked about what we're working on and I shared that I have picked up the level 2 book to accomplish those simpler pieces up to tempo (I'd never had even a little Mozart or Beethoven up to tempo). Her opinion: "can't be done, you can't accomplish speed as an adult". Taken aback I chose to disagree with her because I believe that with practice, correct technique and brain plasticity...anything (well almost) is possible. My accomplishment??? The Mozart Menuetto I in C Major is at 112 bpm. Whooohoooo. The Beethoven? It's in 2/4 time so only at half time so far. I think it's progress.

Love to learn

#2032339 - 02/13/13 08:40 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: WiseBuff
Her opinion: "can't be done, you can't accomplish speed as an adult". Taken aback I chose to disagree with her because I believe that with practice, correct technique and brain plasticity...anything (well almost) is possible...

Her idea of speed may be quite different from ours.

Good work ignoring her and working on tempo!

#2032342 - 02/13/13 08:43 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Thanks Malkin...I don't imagine being a virtuoso BUT would like to play intermediate pieces at the tempo in which they were imagined. My fingers start to jumble it up when I get going. Reminds me of being on the ski slopes and the "whoa wait a minute I'd get from the brain" when I'd go too fast. My brain must like a more leisurely tempo. LOL

Love to learn

#2032385 - 02/13/13 10:14 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Oh my - so many posts, I can't keep up!

Gandalf, how could we be disappointed? Get serious my boy!

Was it SwissMS or Saranoya who made their first video? Congrats--- I know you're both in the recital and I'm looking forward to your pieces.

For all the new comers to the recital---Relax! :)Your pieces will be well received!!

Jim- congrats on being passed on your Moonlight!

Wisebuff - I really disagree with the woman who told you that as an adult you can't work at speed. Of course there will be differences between an adult beginner and someone who starts at a later age, but just yesterday my teacher was going on about "when we get to faster pieces" "when you have to play 16th notes at tempo" and so on.... so he FULLY expects me to play a lot faster than I do now. (the mere thought of if terrifies me! ack!!!)

I am now working on giving some better phrasing and expression to Melody, and (haning head) have not made much progress on the barocque piece. I had a lot of trouble getting my head around it. I'm "just" starting to feel that it can and will come together. AFter next week I hope to put them both aside (in terms of "homework" ) and buckle down with the Stephen Heller piece...which I find very intimidating.

#2032390 - 02/13/13 10:19 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Ah, and Torquendale...of course! If I have a party you'd be invited..you were one of the 3 I was talking about! lol

I don't think very many of us have much experience playing in public - especially in Italy. It is harder for an adult to get to play in a "saggio".
Thank goodness we have our PW ABF Recital!

#2032402 - 02/13/13 10:45 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
..Of course there will be differences between an adult beginner and someone who starts at a later age...
You mean, like my age? laugh

#2032416 - 02/13/13 11:13 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
WiseBuff - I'm with you - what a thing to say about tempo! It's a good thing nobody ever told me that - I wouldn't have been able to play for dances ever! Pfftt! laugh

Cathy

#2032445 - 02/13/13 12:08 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: jotur]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Originally Posted By: jotur
WiseBuff - I'm with you - what a thing to say about tempo! It's a good thing nobody ever told me that - I wouldn't have been able to play for dances ever! Pfftt! laugh

Cathy

And I'm with you, Cathy. I appreciate my teacher for more reasons than I can count (which is rather remarkable, given the fact that we've known each other for all of five months), but one of the main ones is that she has only ever told me "I believe you can do this."

I played a tiny, rather cute Mozart minuet at the Christmas recital (at 135 BPM, as written). She'd never heard me play it without some kind of mistake *somewhere* (I tend to be very nervous in class, with her as my audience of one, which leads to many mistakes I otherwise don't make), and yet she kept telling me I could do it. At the recital, I did do it, and I've been able to play that piece note-perfect, with or without an audience, ever since. That's largely because my teacher never stopped believing in me.

When I asked her if I could do the first movement of Moonlight, she said it wasn't exactly easy, but that we coud definitely work on it. And then last week, when I expressed my doubts about whether I'd be able to do the second movement, too, she said again: of course you can do it!

So if this woman we are talking about has adult piano students, I pity them. They'd be better off with someone who didn't have such preconceived notions about what adult learners can and can't do.

On the other hand, in general, the best way to get me to do something quickly and decisively is to tell me I'm incapable of it. But then the pressure is on to prove whoever said that wrong, and in my piano studies, I fear that kind of pressure would make me into my own worst enemy.

So thank God for the teacher I found. She's definitely a keeper!

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2032464 - 02/13/13 12:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Saranoya]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Saranoya

And I'm with you, Cathy. I appreciate my teacher for more reasons than I can count (which is rather remarkable, given the fact that we've known each other for all of five months), but one of the main ones is that she has only ever told me "I believe you can do this."

Saranoya, I completely agree with you on this. The right teacher can make all the difference. I am also so thankful for my teacher because she enthusiastically challenges and believes in me. This is my second teacher since moving to Switzerland and she is a keeper. With my former teacher I often left my lesson feeling very down, like I could never do well enough to please her. This teacher has the attitude that if I am willing to put in the practice time, she is willing to take me where I want to go. She is always talking about what I need to work on in my technique to get the skill for the next level. She certainly doesn't see adults as "limited" students in speed or anything else. Her faith in me helps me believe I can do it.

#2032497 - 02/13/13 02:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I (and my teacher) are really happy at the speed that I'm picking up the Chopin Nocturne in Eb. It's hardly performance ready but I can play the first two pages and some of it even sounds right wink

(Caveat: The third page has the hardest runs in the piece ...)

Kawai K3

#2032502 - 02/13/13 02:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Allard]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
"Variations on a Theme From Pachelbel's Canon in D Major"

Oh, Allard thanks again and again and then some more. I have been working on this for an hour or so today and I can play the first 12 measures BH and the next four with the RH alone. yippie. This score is from Alfred's Book six that she copied for me. Not a big AOTW but just wait, I'm not quite as good as David Lanz of course and have about as much chance of that as Custer had at the Little Big Horn. grin I think it get a touch harder now!

Edited by Ragdoll (02/13/13 02:25 PM)

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2032572 - 02/13/13 04:38 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Ragdoll, you're learning to play this? Awesome! I can play... uhm, the first measure, ha Pretty sweet that it's in one of the Alfred books. I don't know if the score differs from the Sacred Road book I have. The first page looks fairly easy. The double notes then are still a bit tricky for me. And those FF 16th notes six pages in look scary. Good luck!

#2032589 - 02/13/13 05:07 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: zrtf90]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
..Of course there will be differences between an adult beginner and someone who starts at a later age...
You mean, like my age? laugh

I think you're fishing for compliments smile Ok! Happy to oblige smile

You're not that much older, if memory serves - and you're certainly a great example of what the possibilities are for a laterR starter.
smile

#2032722 - 02/13/13 09:07 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
My AOTW - although it was not intentional I managed to corrupt the find recital thread.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2032739 - 02/13/13 09:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
My AOTW - although it was not intentional I managed to corrupt the find recital thread.

smile

Kawai K3

#2032834 - 02/14/13 02:00 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

..but it has made for some very interesting reading, though!

#2032912 - 02/14/13 09:28 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Allard]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Pretty sweet that it's in one of the Alfred books. I don't know if the score differs from the Sacred Road book I have.

Yes I'm going to attempt this, though certainly not by Spring Recital.

I'm not familiar with the book "Sacred Road" but I doubt the score is the same as there's no six pages to mine smile. It's only 48 measures in 4 pages. It's the first piece in Alfred's book 6...not to say I have completed the other 5. I still work in several books skipping merrily around trying to find things that both challenge and are interesting or both.

Thanks for your kind words, it will take me awhile to learn this to be sure.

#2033398 - 02/14/13 10:09 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Hmm, not an achievement, but it got me excited.

Today's lesson was very fun. There are a lot of different music sheets of chopins nocturne c-sharp minor, because the original manuscript is lost.

Now we discussed whether a note should be a f-sharp or d-sharp and all the other differences. So much fun. Normally a piece is very clear about it.

Somehow it made me realise that after all those baby steps, there is some understanding of music, otherwise I could never discuss it.

Playing since May 02 2009

#2033650 - 02/15/13 10:42 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Chris, glad you had a wonderful lesson. It's amazing how understanding hits us from time to time. Unlike children, that's something brings joy to adults and get us going.

I don't have any achievement yet but am happy that I managed to get a time off today. Was a hard week. It's amazing I got recovered from bad cold I had last week. I have lots of things to do today to prepare for my party but it's all fun thing (yay!). I don't need finish critical presentation while listening to a conference call and also Instant Messaging with my reports. And there is a beautiful day outside:)
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2033689 - 02/15/13 12:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Ragdoll - sounds like you are really working to experiment and try out new kinds of music - what fun - and what fun you will have with each piece - they all have something wonderful to teach us!

Chris - isn't that exciting! To know enough about something to discuss it, compare it to other pieces with things in common - to be able to look at it with new eyes and hear it with educated ears. Really, it is just thrilling.

Farmgirl - you sure did sidetrack the recital thread!
But let's be fair... you had a lot of help !!!
I can't wait to hear all about your piano party!
Best wishes for a fantastic time!

#2033720 - 02/15/13 12:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PattyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Well, this isn't one of those "Eureka!" moments but just a tiny progression that makes all the fun of practicing so worth it.

I practice each hand separately before putting a piece together. In fact, since I have a DP and recording and playback are so easy, I record each hand alone and play the other hand along during playback. Last night I decided it was time to put the piece all together. So, I set the metronome waaaaay down, and had at it. Woot! Made it all the way through, albeit slowly, but with no mistakes and a great feeling of accomplishment. grin Now it's just a matter of bumping up the tempo a little till she's up to speed.

Ah, the little victories in life!

A tired dog is a good dog.

#2033811 - 02/15/13 03:53 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Ragdoll - sounds like you are really working to experiment and try out new kinds of music - what fun - and what fun you will have with each piece - they all have something wonderful to teach us!

Thanks Cas, yah my taste in music is very eclectic and at this stage (read decrepitude) in my life, if it isn't fun I'm not doin' it! grin

#2034073 - 02/16/13 02:14 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Not an achievement but answering to popular demand: here it is.

She has her own mind.

#2034172 - 02/16/13 09:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Not an achievement but answering to popular demand: here it is.

She has her own mind.

I love it! laugh

My girl doberman used to lay on my feet, which made pedaling a little interesting, but she never tried to play piano!

#2034185 - 02/16/13 09:54 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
Cute dog!

My achievement of the week is simply surviving it. Work pressure meant I only got to do about 15 minutes of piano each day and now I'm away for the weekend so no chance to practice until Monday.
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

#2034193 - 02/16/13 10:14 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

That's a nice Lab FarmGirl and her cry for attention is sweet. I caught that frame of "her" piano? My granddaughter outgrew her tiny piano and now it belongs to my dog. Yours/hers looks like a Schoenhut?, so's Jessie's but it's little polished ebony upright. Erm, maybe not so polished now. smile

#2034226 - 02/16/13 11:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Farm Girl - great dog-person smile Have a great party this weekend, and post pictures and videos!

Cathy

Page 126 of 238 < 1 2 ... 124 125 126 127 128 ... 237 238 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
Today at 03:43 AM
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
Today at 03:11 AM
Lindblad Steinway rebuilt pianos
by brahms
Today at 02:54 AM
Got the VPC1! Hooked up the Ivory! Played Brahms.
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:13 AM
Pianos of Downton Abbey
by Almaviva
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Who's Online
58 registered (bennevis, arX, beeboss, angga888, Beemer, 13 invisible), 1079 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158436 Topics
2326673 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission