Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 226 of 240 < 1 2 ... 224 225 226 227 228 ... 239 240 >
Topic Options
#2065112 - 04/15/13 06:06 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Mark...]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: Mark...
I like Jazz!!

Don't you like Jazz?

I LOVE Jazz!!!...and lots of other music. Mark, I've been real busy, and haven't been posting lately. Thanks for both postings. I do hope you'll post some more. It's true that I oftentimes give a warning when I'm going to post it so that Rossy is prepared. However, it's not required. smile

We all have a variety of music interests. BTW, I loved both of your posts today. I'll try to return the favor with a contribution of my own. I'll be back shortly.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2065119 - 04/15/13 06:12 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
please let it be your usual standard Griffin and not any more J today, two in one day is enough for my hemerhoids.

Six days and counting to mendelssohn,and reading up on the dude, he was quite an interesting and very gentle type of gentleman dude.

We will be interspersing the pieces with some good and interesting mendelssohn facts from some source books, plus some piccies of him.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#2065127 - 04/15/13 06:45 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: Rostosky
please let it be your usual standard Griffin and not any more J today, two in one day is enough for my hemerhoids.

I don't know what my "standard" is Rossy. However, I do like this piece with Van Morrison and John Lee Hooker. I think you might enjoy it. If not, perhaps Mark and others will.

Here they perform "Gloria."

Edited by griffin2417 (04/15/13 06:47 PM)

#2065132 - 04/15/13 07:09 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Greetings everyone! It's a good thing I didn't have to go to work today, or I'd really be in a grumpy mood right now. My day started off with having to cancel my piano lesson (which I was really looking forward to) because my car had a flat tire, and it couldn't be repaired. I was just thrilled with having to pay for new tires cursing

Things did get better by the time I got home from the tire shop. I decided to listen to Rupak's ICM recording from yesterday while I had my cup of green tea. THANKS RUPAK!!! That was just what I needed today.

I'll listen to the other postings later this week. Well, off I go. I will check in later this weekend. It's going to be a hectic week!

Later!

Edited by griffin2417 (04/15/13 07:11 PM)

#2065167 - 04/15/13 08:34 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
What's ICM?

#2065196 - 04/15/13 09:53 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs
What's ICM?

Hi Wayne. ICM stands for Indian Classical Music. I just realized that you were away from the thread for several months. During that period Rupak introduced us to traditional classical Indian music (ICM). Rupak often presented them on Satuurdays. One of his postings yesterday is but one example.

I highly recommend you explore some of Rupak's postings of ICM. I learned a lot!

#2065327 - 04/16/13 02:34 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
not any more J today, two in one day is enough for my hemerhoids.

Calm yourself.

#2065384 - 04/16/13 07:47 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: griffin2417

I don't know what my "standard" is Rossy. However, I do like this piece with Van Morrison and John Lee Hooker. I think you might enjoy it. If not, perhaps Mark and others will.

thanks Griffin!

#2065654 - 04/16/13 05:42 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
I think it's interesting the idea of making music videos from arias or any kind of vocal piece written by the great composers, as long as that piece can work alone. Here is a touching example on Monteverdi's music.

Night!

My website

#2066184 - 04/17/13 07:05 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ah, I see Griffin, thnx smile

I saw this question (in a FB quiz) and didn't know the answer "What does ‘coda’ mark, in a musical piece?" Googled it and I still don't fully understand. Is it about "transition"?

#2066186 - 04/17/13 07:06 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

or ending?

#2066494 - 04/18/13 11:19 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
One of the users here at piano world...a great player! Enjoy!

#2066710 - 04/18/13 06:57 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Griffin, during the staggered 'BIG (Mendelssohn) ONE ' recital, you should be able to sit back and enjoy postings from us PW contributors - helping to balance all those Sunday postings you did for us until recently.

The submissions are streaming in now. I really enjoy the chance to learn about people's personal experiences getting the pieces ready for submission.

#2066835 - 04/19/13 12:36 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Wayne, I thought it was the ending, but I am totally useless with theory-things.

I should be practicing but I have an interview I'm excited about in the morning and am having trouble concentrating!

Here's my new Beethoven addiction.. There's something so gloriously smug and haughty about it. Especially around 4:17. I love love love Kempff's Beethoven. He gets it the same way I do.

#2066914 - 04/19/13 05:02 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Possibly the most Iconic album cover ever?

Storm Thorgerson, whose album cover artwork includes Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon, has died aged 69, the band's management has confirmed.

A childhood friend of the founding members of the band, he became their designer-in-chief, fashioning a string of eye-catching creations.

He designed the cover showing a prism spreading a spectrum of colour for The Dark Side Of The Moon.

His credits also include albums by Led Zeppelin, Peter Gabriel and Muse.

His family released a statement saying he died peacefully on Thursday surrounded by family and friends.

"He had been ill for some time with cancer though he had made a remarkable recovery from his stroke in 2003," it said.

"He is survived by his mother Vanji, his son Bill, his wife Barbie Antonis and her two children Adam and Georgia."

Pink Floyd guitarist and vocalist Dave Gilmour released a statement in which he said the artworks Thorgerson created for the band had been "an inseparable part of our work".

He said: "We first met in our early teens. We would gather at Sheep's Green, a spot by the river in Cambridge and Storm would always be there holding forth, making the most noise, bursting with ideas and enthusiasm. Nothing has ever really changed.

"He has been a constant force in my life, both at work and in private, a shoulder to cry on and a great friend. I will miss him."
'Simple idea'

A statement on the Pink Floyd.com official site said: "We are saddened by the news that long-time Pink Floyd graphic genius, friend and collaborator, Storm Thorgerson, has died.

"Our thoughts are with his family and many friends."

Thorgerson began his career with UK design group Hipgnosis, founded in the late 1960s and his distinctive style made him one of the industry's most recognisable artists.

There was the mournful-looking cow on the front of Atom Heart Mother, the burning businessman on the sleeve of Wish You Were Here, the giant pig flying over Battersea Power Station and the prism spreading a spectrum of colour across The Dark Side Of The Moon.

He told the BBC in 2009: "It's a nice but simple idea. Refracting light through a prism is a common feature in nature, as in a rainbow. I would like to claim it, but unfortunately it's not mine!"

The idea was sparked by Pink Floyd's keyboard player, the late Richard Wright, he explained.

"He said, somewhat provocatively, 'Let's not have one of your photos, we've had your photos before. Can't we have a change? A cool graphic - something smart, tidy, elegant.'"

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#2067594 - 04/20/13 12:20 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Greetings everyone! I'm just stopping by briefly. I was hoping to have more time to visit. My workload is still mighty huge. However, I do have a little music to share. I will soon be attending a concert in which one of our local celebrities will be paying tribute to Etta James.

This piece was originally written and performed by blues singer Big Mama Thornton. It later became a big hit when it was performed and recorded by Janis Joplin in th 1960s. I just discovered this performance by Etta. Here is "Ball and Chain."

#2067597 - 04/20/13 12:30 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Mark...]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark...
One of the users here at piano world...a great player! Enjoy!

Thanks Mark! "Moanin" was one of my favorites in high school.

#2067603 - 04/20/13 12:45 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

I am looking forward to the Themed Recital. What an undertaking!

Rossy, as you will recall, I filled in for you briefly with doing the postings last fall for the Eric Satie extravaganza. I know what a big job you've got...along with doing your own performance! wow

I must be off. It's going to be another busy day. I miss not being able to spend more time here. However, that retirement date will be here before long. I don't know when I'll be back here again to post. In the meantime have a lovely day and enjoy this piece by Bill Withers!

#2067624 - 04/20/13 02:07 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Same here, really looking forward to this smile

#2067855 - 04/21/13 03:21 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Whilst visiting a friend yesterday, I was sat in the garden and he opened the windows and put some music on inside the house so we could listen in the garden.
All was well, it was not loud enough to annoy the neighbours, after a while something awfull came on and I said to my friend: "is that jazz"

And he answered without any hesitation, and I quote " It cant be, because it has cohesion"

I fell about laughing and told him I was going to use that quote on the first available opportunity.

Thanks dude, a sane voice in an otherwise insane world.

#2068541 - 04/22/13 10:04 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy.

Vital statistics ; born 1809 into a Jewish background but when his father converted to Christianity the name "Bartholdy" was added to make a distinction from the Jewish branch of he family.

From childhood he had a rigorous private education that started at 5 am in the morning.

A series of Grand tours completed his education.

A quote from Schumann ; "Who has not sometimes, at twilight, sat at the piano and, while improvising, unconsciously sung a soft melody? Now if, by chance, one can link the accompaniment with the melody in ones hands alone, and if, most of all, one is a mendelssohn, there comes forth the most beautiful songs without words"

Songs without words consists of eight books of six pieces, put out from 1829 onwards, the last two books being published posthumously.

It was intended largely for amateur pianists within a domestic situation and avoiding technical extremes.

Mostly mood pieces, some of which were written as personal messages from mendelssohn the pianist to appreciative ladies in society with whom the composer mixed, some were written for the ladies personal albums, five of the six books were dedicated to fashionable ladies.

(Source, The Great musicians, Mendelssohn part three page 34. and The new Oxford companion to music.)

Mendelssohn as a young man:

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 10:39 AM)

#2068542 - 04/22/13 10:04 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There was a feeling that I'd 'bitten off more than I could chew' after I decided, a month ago, to take on one of the pieces no one wanted to do, as well as this one.

So, at a moments' notice, Beric offered to help. After studying the music for a few minutes, he played this rendition, unrehearsed.

I apologise to everyone for not being able to do this myself, and to Beric I'd like to say 'thanks Dad' for this and all the other occasions when you've helped me out.

Dipsy.

Opus 19 no.1 played by Beric.

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 10:47 AM)

#2068546 - 04/22/13 10:05 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Next up is opus 19 no.2

This time played by RagnhildK.

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 10:51 AM)

#2068547 - 04/22/13 10:05 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Onto opus 19 no.3

Played by EvelynS who hails from Indonesia and had this to say:

"This is the first time I'm learning a piece by myself. With so many pieces assigned by my teacher, it is almost impossible to focus solely on this piece. And I have been preparing for a competition so everything gets harder.

The hardest part is probably deciding the tempo. I can't possibly play as fast as how it is marked so I hope this will suffice."

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 10:55 AM)

#2068548 - 04/22/13 10:06 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Opus 19 no.4.

Played by Beric; this time being one of his chosen pieces!

Recorded at a moments notice, this is the better of only two takes as Beric had to go into Hospital the next day.

Factoid: Beric is probably the most senior ( we think) contributor to the recital !!

But its not up to me to let you know how young he is!

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 11:03 AM)

#2068549 - 04/22/13 10:06 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And hailing from Norway ! We have ganddalf's playing of opus 19 no.5.

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 11:06 AM)

#2068572 - 04/22/13 10:39 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And to round up opus 19 we leave the cold Norway behind and hop over to sunny Spain!

Recaredo had this to say about his chosen piece opus 19 no.6

"Learning this piece has been a huge effort for a beginner like me, struggling with hard times, even thought that I wouldn’t be able to submit. But I love this music and really wanted to participate in this outstanding project. So I believe the long learning process has been worth it.

For the video I chose a couple of paintings of my father, since he loved to paint boats and rivers, together with the sheet music of this song without words.

I hope you like it."

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 11:11 AM)

#2068645 - 04/22/13 12:48 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Opus 19 no.1 played by Beric: Great work with no rehearsals! This is such a beautiful piece and you really brought out the lovely melody

opus 19 no.2 played by RagnhildK: I'm not familiar with this one, but what a gem! I really enjoyed how you played it, too - nicely polished!

opus 19 no.3 Played by EvelynS: I really enjoyed the energy you played this with. I wasn't bothered at all by the tempo, not ever having heard it before. I'm now inspired to learn this one (I have a feeling I'm going to be adding a lot of these pieces to my already extensive list of pieces to learn) wink

Opus 19 no.4. Played by Beric: This is one of the few SWW I had previously played. Thanks for sharing this with us and reminding me this is yet another great piece to play smile

opus 19 no.5 played by ganddalf: Wow, way to show off with memorizing your music - and with all that chromaticism! Nicely done with this perpetual motion piece

opus 19 no.6 played by Recaredo: Your hard work really paid off. Thank you for your very sensitive playing of this piece!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2068674 - 04/22/13 02:08 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This is great!!!! smile Congrats to everyone, gonna have a second listen wink

#2068719 - 04/22/13 02:55 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Thanks Morodiene and Wayne for your comments!

Wow, I feel proud to have participated in this big themed recital among such great pianists. Thanks so much folks for making possible this amazing project.

Can’t wait to listen to the next opus!

My website

Page 226 of 240 < 1 2 ... 224 225 226 227 228 ... 239 240 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Kawai CE220
by Dr John 48
09/16/14 09:23 AM
Piano covers
by Jamie
09/16/14 08:51 AM
Yamaha U3
by RGibson
09/16/14 06:58 AM
VPC1 Order Cancelled
by EmptySpace
09/16/14 06:16 AM
Baroque Pitch - The Well-Tempered Clavier
by Badinage
09/16/14 02:25 AM
Who's Online
146 registered (albumblatter, Almaviva, accordeur, AndresD, ando, ajames, 42 invisible), 1130 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76219 Members
42 Forums
157558 Topics
2314262 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission