Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
126 registered (accordeur, Anne H, anamnesis, Alan Cyr, 36251, acollins, 30 invisible), 1687 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2017498 - 01/19/13 07:55 PM Chance to buy a Steinway. Price I should pay?
Ezra Offline

Loc: New York
Hi all. Still hunting for a piano for our home. Came across an 1890 upright Steinway (48" height). Had it evaluated and comments from tech was as follows:

Action in good condition
Hammers OK but show signs of wear
Tuning pins are tight; will stay in time
Soundboard good condition; one crack but not separated from ribs
Bridges in excellent condition
Keys original, fair condition
Case in fair/good condition

Sooooo - my only real concern is the soundboard issue. Will it get worse? Thoughts?

For $1800, is this a good deal for a first / starter piano for my son who has outgrown his elec keyboard?

One other question - I'm also considering a Weber 1990s with a middle muted/practice pedal. The Steinway doesn't have that, but what are my options to muffle sound if buy it?

Thanks

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2017514 - 01/19/13 08:28 PM Re: Chance to buy a Steinway. Price I should pay? [Re: Ezra]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Unless the piano has had some rebuilding work done on it, I think it would be highly unusual for a 113 year old piano to be in the condition you quoted the tech as saying. Did he say if he thought work had been done on the piano?

Did he say if any work would be needed to put it in decent or, better yet, good playing condition? For example, what's the problem with the keys? If work is required, then you should get an estimate of what it would cost.

How does the piano sound? If it's presently way out of tune I wouldn't buy it just because it's a Steinway. I would have it tuned, and then see if you like it.

Edited by pianoloverus (01/19/13 09:52 PM)

#2017540 - 01/19/13 09:37 PM Re: Chance to buy a Steinway. Price I should pay? [Re: Ezra]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Less than $1,000.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2017542 - 01/19/13 09:38 PM Re: Chance to buy a Steinway. Price I should pay? [Re: Ezra]
Steve Cohen Online   content

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
If it is indeed as described I'd buy it for that price...and re-sell it for more.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2017598 - 01/19/13 11:51 PM Re: Chance to buy a Steinway. Price I should pay? [Re: Ezra]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Ezra
For $1800, is this a good deal for a first / starter piano for my son who has outgrown his elec keyboard?

Ezra - with all due respect, if your son is really serious about learning to play the piano, why would you buy an un-refurbished antique that is 113 years old??

Quote:
One other question - I'm also considering a Weber 1990s with a middle muted/practice pedal. The Steinway doesn't have that, but what are my options to muffle sound if buy it?

It's my understanding that any upright piano can be fitted with a special "muffler rail" (strip of felt between the hammers and the keys) that is activated by a lever instead of a pedal.

#2017612 - 01/20/13 12:33 AM Re: Chance to buy a Steinway. Price I should pay? [Re: Ezra]
backto_study_piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Bear in mind that a mute isn't a good move. It changes the tone dramatically. It isn't a good way to practise, if you get used to a muted sound - and have to "belt" it to get some volume, then when you get to play without it, it's a matter of re-learning.

I'm not sure of the accuracy of this next information, but I've heard that the heavier touch used can damage a piano.

#2017701 - 01/20/13 08:02 AM Re: Chance to buy a Steinway. Price I should pay? [Re: Ezra]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I would keep looking. An old piano like that hasn't been refurbished will most likely need work soon or need to be replaced soon. I think for that money you can get a newer piano that will last you longer.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2018146 - 01/21/13 02:32 AM Re: Chance to buy a Steinway. Price I should pay? [Re: Ezra]
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
In your location (NY) I would want some kind of explanation from the tech how a piano this old could possibly be in the good condition he described.

In CA we see some amazingly well-preserved pianos, but an 1890 in that kind of original condition would be a shock even here.

#2018322 - 01/21/13 11:16 AM Re: Chance to buy a Steinway. Price I should pay? [Re: Ezra]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
Ive played 2 Steinway uprights thats about 100 yrs old. they both sound really bad. (mean while a 100 yrs old steinway grand still sound amazing). i would consider a used yamaha/kawai studio upright.

#2018443 - 01/21/13 02:07 PM Re: Chance to buy a Steinway. Price I should pay? [Re: Steven Y. A.]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Steven Y. A.
i would consider a used yamaha/kawai studio upright.

I think you're moving in the right direction !!!

#2018476 - 01/21/13 03:28 PM Re: Chance to buy a Steinway. Price I should pay? [Re: Ezra]
ju5t1n-h Offline

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia
A steinway is a great piano, but one this old and being upright I do not think that it is worth it. You could buy a much better piano that is newer and in better shape. Don't buy just because of the name - you wouldn't buy a 100 year old car just because it is a good brand over something newer and more reliable?

#2018556 - 01/21/13 06:39 PM Re: Chance to buy a Steinway. Price I should pay? [Re: Ezra]
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Mateo, CA
I hope this may help you.
Your approach to purchasing a piano IMO is not going to lead you into anything but to put good money after bad.
If this very same piano was offered to you for $1800 and it had a different name on it; you will think the seller is crazy.

Be objective with you priorities and realistic in your budget.
If your son has shown interest and abilities to play the piano, he needs a piano with good action and tone and most important your support by showing your confidence and commitment to the process.
Think about this: If your kid decided to quit elementary school; you will find the reason and the solution to the situation, you won't just go find something else for him to do in the mornings.
Same with the piano: I don't see why a kid that is motivated to play the piano cannot receive this kind of commitment from the parents and be supported to achieve such a great skill for life.

You already wasted a bit of your son's time by having him practice on the keyboard. If you are considering a piano for $1800 you probably have available about $2300 for this purchase, since you will have to pay delivery and tuning.

You can buy a lightly used or new piano for about $4800.
Take all that money buy a decent instrument and make payments.
There are many alternatives to help your kid learn, you just need to be resourceful and committed.

Best Regards, smile

Edited by Kurtmen (01/21/13 06:42 PM)
Kawai Digital Piano, Pianodisc.
<a href="http://sanmateopiano.com" style="color:#FF0505;font-size:10px;font-family:Times New Roman;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank" >http://sanmateopiano.com</a>

#2018606 - 01/21/13 08:10 PM Re: Chance to buy a Steinway. Price I should pay? [Re: Kurtmen]
Ezra Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Kurtmen

You already wasted a bit of your son's time by having him practice on the keyboard. If you are considering a piano for $1800 you probably have available about $2300 for this purchase, since you will have to pay delivery and tuning.

You can buy a lightly used or new piano for about $4800.
Take all that money buy a decent instrument and make payments.
There are many alternatives to help your kid learn, you just need to be resourceful and committed.

Thanks for the advice/comments. Only piece I disagree with (and I think others would agree) is about wasting my son's time. Not at all. I had the Yamaha YDP-223 (which is a very fine weighted-graded-simulated-action elec piano) which not only he, but my older girls enjoyed too before moving on to flute (piano was their base instrument to learn some basics of music). Only he has shown serious interest and an ear for music whcih translates easily for him to bang out tunes at the keyboard that he hears in real life, school, etc. Ergo, I'm finally moving up to an acoustic for him.

Apart from that - yes. I'm ditching the idea of getting the Steinway klunker. I'll end up with a nice Knabe or Kawai, I believe. Thanks.

#2018653 - 01/21/13 09:58 PM Re: Chance to buy a Steinway. Price I should pay? [Re: Ezra]
ruiomichlet Offline

it is indeed as described I'd buy it for that price

#2018670 - 01/21/13 10:40 PM Re: Chance to buy a Steinway. Price I should pay? [Re: Ezra]
RickG1 Offline

Loc: TX
Ezra, you have made the right decision. :-)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Compare Steinway, Estonia & Shigeru Kawai
by Nxwang
11/23/14 07:20 PM
Do you ask Santa for piano music?
by Stubbie
11/23/14 07:16 PM
Brahms Sonatas, Op 120 (clarinet/viola & piano): Editions?
by DaveInJapan
11/23/14 07:03 PM
Friction in actions
by Withindale
11/23/14 06:55 PM
Nord Electro 2
by Auver
11/23/14 06:23 PM
Forum Stats
77023 Members
42 Forums
159302 Topics
2340055 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission