2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 217 of 370 1 2 215 216 217 218 219 369 370

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

My first posting today is "Symphony No. 4 in B flat Major, Part 1" by Michael Haydn. It is performed by the Slovak Chamber Orchestra under the direction of Bohdan Warchal.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

My next post is "Malaguena" by Ernesto Lecuona from the Suite Andalucia. Thomas Tirino is the solo Pianist.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

My next post came about through a delightful set of unexpected discoveries and coincidences. It is the "Requiem Mass in D Minor" by Gabriel Faure. I happened to be listening to another work by Faure on the radio the other night and remembered Recaredo's and Rossy's postings. I decided to explore more of Faure's works and discovered this beautiful choral work. Folks who follow my postings on RST know that choral music is every much a part of my personal music history as is the piano.

Here is the Requiem presented by the Oxford Schola Cantorum chorus and the Oxford Camarata Orchestra under the direction of Jeremy Summerly.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

My final selection today is another choral piece. "Chariot Jubilee" is a composition of Afro-Canadian composer Nathaniel Dett. It is based on an old African American spiritual, "Swing Low Sweet Chariot." AimeeO and I did a segment last autumn on the music of Dett if you want to explore further.

Here is Chariot Jubilee performed by the Nathaniel Dett Chorale of Toronto.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

That's it for me today. I'll be around today to check in. I'm looking forward to hearing from others. Right now, It's brunch time followed by piano practice. Off I go.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Carl

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

Today's rainy, cold and gloomy....back to a normal early spring, I guess. We had a couple of beautiful, even hot!! days last week.

Sandy

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
You've done it again, Griffin! I'm barely over BB King and John Lee and you hit me with this selection.

I have just finished enjoying Michael Haydn's symphony. It makes one wonder why his brother and Mozart stand so tall, doesn't it? It's clearly later than than anything from the Mannheim school and it shows that he is well able to handle keys. It could easily be mistaken for anything by the other two yet he and his contemporaries, eg. Salieri and Vanhal, walk so far behind.

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Griffin, It's nice you have remembered Michael Haydn. That was a beautiful symphony.

Fauré’s Requiem is an impressive work, where the death is treated sweetly. It’s a really moving piece of music.

I also enjoyed “Malagueña”. I’m glad you finally found a good version on Youtube wink.

I still remember the excellent posts that you and Aimee made about Nathaniel Dett. Thanks for posting his music again, Griffin.

Hey Sandy, that was a good music!. I enjoyed that trumpet playing with five pianos. I had never heard such combination. Very good posting!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Just found this today, Tracey emins desert island discs with sue lawley...

Interesting..

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Griffin, I LOVE Faure's Requiem. I have the EMI recording. Nice to check others out.

Rossy, thanks for the Emin. Did you hear Anna Ford's last week? The Jamie Cullum one this week was funny (though I'm not a fan). He said he'd failed piano grade 4, and decided not to take a piano to his desert island!

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Eglantine, I had never heard the Requiem or any of Faure's works until last week. I've played the Requiem several times since then.

Richard and Recaredo, I have also been amazed at how Michael Haydn's compositions oftentimes take a back seat to his brother and Mozart. I will be posting more of his music in the future.

Recaredo, I chose the Malagueña because the quality of the You Tube recording was the best. I'm still planning to go with your suggestion because I like to listen to variety of interpretations of this magnificent piece.

Rossy, I just sent a PM. I will be around today. I will probably do a post later. However, I have to have some quality piano study time today. My piano lesson is coming up later this week. I'll check in later.

Have a good day!

Carl

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hi, Griffin, the Haydn symphony was my favorite, too and have never heard it before.
A bit OT, but too embarrassed to ask other than here - does anyone recognize this piece? It's so simple, yet peacefully beautiful. I feel like I should know what it is but don't, eek! (and ,yes, it's the background music to the Knabe website).

http://www.knabepianos.com

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Sorry I can't ID that, piano joy.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
The night skies are wonderful at the moment. Around nine o'clock we have in Ireland a gorgeous view of Venus, Jupiter and the crescent moon in the west and Orion slighly to the south gazing directly into my front door as he prepares to fade from the winter skies.

Where I am in the Wicklow hills there's very little light pollution and even my tired old eyes can enjoy a glorious Andromeda through a pair of 10x50's. After debating Art and Forgery with the eponymous hero of our thread last night I spent a few minutes doing just that. Orion and company had already gone to bed at that stage.

It's at times like this, looking into the night sky, that Beethoven's Adagio floats round my head. It's as if my head is up there in the vastness of space.

Kempff's version is preceded here by the short Scherzo; the Adagio starts at 2:40. The last two minutes is sheer bliss.

Richard
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Eglantine, sorry I missed Anna ford, I really like her as well, I will be so happy when the BBC has all their back catalogue online, which is slowly happening with DID!!

Griffin, Onto the PM tonight at some time.

Pianojoy: I dont recognise the piece either, but there is a contact form on their website, you could try asking on the contact question form? worth a try.

Zrtf90, The Moon in its first quarter looks impressive with venus and jupiter, and I get to see it really well on these clear nights, did you spot Jupiter and venus with the last full moon?
That was really something.
The way our neighbours roof is angled, venus and jupiter set parralell to the roof, I should get my video cam out and take some footage or at least a few stills.

it was so clear last night I could count the individual stars in the pleiades, which is a rather rare occurance as it is usually too cloudy.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Rossy, I tend to follow the planets as soon as they appear in the evening sky until they disappear again. I had the thrill a couple of years ago of seeing Mercury and Venus together through a friend's eight inch Celestron.

Yes, I saw them with the full moon but I'm too old now to enjoy the night sky with a full moon. My pupils won't open wide enough to see anything else of interest so the crescent is a much more beneficial experience.

I can onyl jsut see wlel engouh ot tyep!

Richard
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Deary me, quick before any one notices, Please can you specify what "a friends 8 inch celestron" is?

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
It's a large Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope with computer controlled 'goto' functionality. About £2000.

Richard
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by zrtf90
It's a large Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope with computer controlled 'goto' functionality. About £2000.

ah, yes, of course, who doesn't know that?

smile

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
There was me and a small boy in outer mongolia who obviously doesnt get out much, Now that I know what it is I have to do five things:

( a.): decide if I need one. ( unlikely unless planet nibiru is real)
(b.): if the answer to (a.) above is "Yes" check ebay out for 99p BIN mispelled items.
(c.): write a letter to the boy in outer mongolia explaining what he has been missing,and apologise for his misfortune, blaming it on western decadence or a wayward camel.
(d.): start an exclusive club for the six people who did know what it was, quickly before Patrick Moore dies of asphyxiation due to the waistband of his pants strangling him.

(e.): remember not to get richard to explain what technical stuff is, it didnt help.

relax and write a note to self... self when you are older do not let the waistband of your pants get ridiculously high, it looks silly before the armpit area is reached.

I vote chris linton to take patricks place when he exits this mortal coil for the base on mars.

Last edited by Rostosky; 03/27/12 07:53 AM.

Page 217 of 370 1 2 215 216 217 218 219 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission