2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 5 invisible), 1,304 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Whizbang

It is what it is. But I wonder what it was that changed my unselfconscious performances at the age of 10 into anxiety-ridden ordeals at 12 and older.

It could simply be the developmental stage. As adolescence approaches, it is natural for a child to become more self conscious and more aware of how others might perceive him/her. I've heard from some of the music teachers who I know that it is not uncommon for kids entering middle school to be nervous about performances if they haven't got used to it by then.

J
J
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by jc111
My son just had his 3rd recital today. His first one was only 2 months after he started lessons.

Unless the student is a true musical prodigy, I would never put a student in a recital after 2 months of lessons. What is there to "recite" after 2 months of lessons, seriously? Mary Had a Little Lamb? Twinkle Twinkle?

We did have young students do Twinkle Twinkle and I think they did great. I made a mistake about the time of the 1st recital. It was 3 months after he started lesson. He played 2 pieces from Hal Leonard Book 2 for his first recital. According to the teacher he did learn very fast and progress quickly. For this third recital he played Russian Folk Song and Emperor Waltz. I don't think he is musical prodigy but he really likes it.

Here are the YouTube links to his recital videos:
1st recital
3rd recital

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Lately we’ve been to some recitals that have lots of beginners and “average” students, if one dares to use the word. The easiest pieces that I’ve heard in these recitals are a five-finger pattern, played RH and then LH, and a violin piece that has only a G arranged in various rhythmic patterns. I honestly enjoyed these performances as well as the performances by 6 year old little wizards. I’m confident that most if not all parents in the audience feel the same way--I think audience who go to these recitals know that they are not going to hear world-class performances, they will hear kids, some more advanced than others, but are nonetheless all kids, learning to interpret and share music and appreciate others' music. Student recitals are not simply a progress report or an opportunity to show off, everyone should be able to share their music and get to know the joy of it. The vast majority of students taking instrument lessons will not grow up to be professional musicians, and they should be able to enjoy sharing their music without having to worry about whether it’s worthy of sharing in other people’s eyes.

Last edited by childofparadise2002; 01/20/13 01:16 PM.
Anyone should have the opportunity to perform. Performance is an integral part of the pianist discipline, yet only a small percentage of pianists will be able to perform regularly.

The only thing I can compare it to off the top of my head right now is the difference between talking to one person versus talking to a large group of people versus making a speech. Pianists need opportunities to grow in different ways and find their own styles through that medium.

Trauma or stage fright isn't a good excuse. Really, if you never do it, you'll never know, and you'll never get better.

Tons of people are self-conscious even in everyday life and years of living doesn't fix it.

Amaruk Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Very interesting stories/suggestions/explanations! Thank you!!

For now there is nothing we can do as we like our teacher, who by the way is an active musician with gigs now and then.

Our son has only taken 3 lessons so far but I noticed right away that he is picking up things very fast. He can now play the main themes of Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, and some more songs from memory as I taught him for two months before he enrolled with this teacher (I simplify arrangements for him and he does not read music that well yet so he copies my playing for now). I do this as I want it to be fun for him to play the piano. Our teacher fully supports it and wants me to continue doing this on the side which is great.

Last edited by Amaruk; 01/24/13 10:43 PM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission