2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
L
Lighten up, Pianoloverus..many people in the area may want to check this out

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lara77
Lighten up, Pianoloverus..many people in the area may want to check this out
You're completely missing my point. This was not just a question of someone posting about a dealer closing.

If you or someone like owned a store that was closing would you want it posted that you were "biting the dust"? Or would you prefer "Store X is closing and having a closing sale".

Telling someone else to "lighten up" is quite dismissive. The phrase assumes that the someone else has no sense of humor or is making something out of nothing and the person telling someone else to "lighten up" is viewing things correctly.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/19/13 04:45 PM.
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I think a comment about driving a hard bargain in a tough economy, depending on how it is phrased, could also be insensitive to dealers.

The negotiable price is the system set up by the dealers themselves. They made the bed, now they have to sleep in it.

I've yet to read a post from a dealer bemoaning the fact that some poor schmuck came into his shop and paid full MSRP.

I don't think that justifies trying to take extreme advantage of poor economy or a particular dealer's financial problems. Even if one thinks the negotiable pricing system is flawed or bad, two wrongs don't make a right as the saying goes. Since some dealer was unfair with a sale that now justifies a customer to be unfair?

Some posters seem to delight in putting the screws to piano dealers which I find unattractive. I am certainly not some highly pro dealer person but I think a reasonable amount of fairness is the ethical way to proceed.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/19/13 04:56 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
When Allans (the biggest music retailer in Australia) closed down, I remember that the article I read had something like "The Music Is Over for Allans" in the title. I thought it was a sad pun. After all, it was the biggest and oldest music retailer here. But journalists love puns in titles. frown

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Telling someone else to "lighten up" is quite dismissive. The phrase assumes that the someone else has no sense of humor or is making something out of nothing and the person telling someone else to "lighten up" is viewing things correctly.

Lighten up!

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
pianoloverus, you crack me up.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
"No one wants the wrath of a 10,000 post super user to come down on them because they offended them. . . "

Oh, I dunno. It can be fun, `specially when you know your right! Right?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
"Another one bites the dust" was a much loved and played funeral song (by Queen) when I was at the Crem. I only had to spin the disc, fortunately. It is, or has become, an accepted phrase. One might use it of an old contemporary who has .. .departed this world, in this context it is to me at any rate, rather wistful, ie that things were different. Like ya favourite pub`s closed down (moist eyes evident). (Mine did, but it`s reopened again heh heh)

"[Linked Image]"
Originally Posted by peterws
"Another one bites the dust" was a much loved and played funeral song (by Queen) when I was at the Crem. I only had to spin the disc, fortunately. It is, or has become, an accepted phrase.
Of course, it's a standard phrase but that doesn't mean it's appropriate here.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
It's perfectly appropriate and acceptable here.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom

It cracked me up for the first couple of years. Now it's just tiring. It amazes me how arrogant some people are in thinking that just because they have an opinion that they are automatically "right" in their stance. I don't think I've ever seen a poster on this site as vehement as plover in needing to have the last word. Do you think that MAYBE after 5 or 6 people comment that you are out of line or off base that you might have the good sense to take your head out of your a** and say "Gee, maybe your right. Sorry." But no. That's too much to ask from some people.
Good thing these posts are digital--or else there would be a LOT more wasted trees in the world.

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
Originally Posted by AJF
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom

It cracked me up for the first couple of years. Now it's just tiring. It amazes me how arrogant some people are in thinking that just because they have an opinion that they are automatically "right" in their stance. I don't think I've ever seen a poster on this site as vehement as plover in needing to have the last word. Do you think that MAYBE after 5 or 6 people comment that you are out of line or off base that you might have the good sense to take your head out of your a** and say "Gee, maybe your right.
Except I clearly expressed my view as an opinion each time unlike some others, mostly those disagreeing, who responded as if their opinion were fact. Those are the posts were the poster sounds like he is assuming he is right. You got it backwards.

Thus far at least one poster seems to have agreed with me about the tone of the original post because they mentioned a similarly worded ad they didn't think was appropriate. And two others at least half agreed(saying the OP was a little blunt or could be interpreted as callous or insensitive). So your comment to the effect that everyone disagreed with me is also wrong. Not that I think the number of posters who agree or disagree determines whether a opinion is true.

I certainly didn't(in this thread and rarely if ever) express my views using obnoxious("Take your head out of you a**")and arrogant language like in the above quoted post. That poster is the one assuming he is right since he did not express his views as opinions. I wouldn't expect someone using that kind of posting language to be sensitive to what's appropriate language to announce a dealer's closing.

If it was your business or a friend's business would you like that title?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/21/13 09:15 AM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Ah yes, a good use for the 'ignore' option. Some people just get all worked up into a frenzy over other folks disagreeing with them.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
For me at least, it's often difficult if not impossible, to interperate the true intent of a post. IMO, the original TITLE could be characterized as either insensitive, perhaps somewhat callous, or a clever and witty pun absent any ill-will whatsoever. The OP would know and could clarify if they wish.

fingers

Playing piano at age 2, it was thought that I was some sort of idiot-savant. As it turns out, I'm just an idiot.
J
J
This thread now appears [for me] as the third result from the google search "Cleveland piano dealer closing". Google will probably be sending eyeballs here for years.

Anyway, this dealer appears to have had several locations yet has a truly awful web presence. This makes me think a business doesn't "get it" at all. If they can't be bothered to learn to adapt to the marketplace then it doesn't surprise me that they run into difficulty. Cleveland is not exactly a booming economy right now so there's probably not huge demand for guys in suits selling fine pianos at huge markups. The dealership appears to have been quite old and I'd guess they had become complacent and I'm sorry but Steinway dealers tend to be the most arrogant and dismissive of other makes.

So, Taking the long view, a wave of Steinway dealers closing is probably a good thing as it will force Steinway to confront the fact that other pianos (particularly Chinese pianos) need to be taken seriously. Steinway will need to compete better on price / performance or learn to be content with shrinking market share. The real tell will be if some of the music schools that sign exlusive contracts to be "Steinway schools" start to drop those contracts.

The days of trading solely on the reputation of Steinway are fading. I'm happy to see any dealers relying on that biting the dust as it will lead to better competition and open up opportunities for other manufacturers to expand their own makes.

Originally Posted by fingers
For me at least, it's often difficult if not impossible, to interperate the true intent of a post. IMO, the original TITLE could be characterized as either insensitive, perhaps somewhat callous, or a clever and witty pun absent any ill-will whatsoever. The OP would know and could clarify if they wish. fingers
It's certainly possible no ill will was meant or that the OP didn't realize that some would find his title callous or insensitive. But, if he did realize this possibility, I think it's far better to choose a better title. I don't see anything that could be called a clever or witty pun in the title.

I am not a Steinway cheerleader although I think their pianos are extremely good, but I think more than a few seem to delight in any Steinway difficulties including store closings. There have been many threads with this tone in the past.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/21/13 09:06 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
well, this thread has been 5 minutes of my life i'll never get back.

"Ah yes, a good use for the 'ignore' option. Some people just get all worked up into a frenzy over other folks disagreeing with them."

Doesn`t that just mirror life? Now, what was the poster trying to say?? Bit like sport really.

Whatever the sport, when things get fraught fights get fought . . . In this case, Pianos don`t get bought

"[Linked Image]"
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by jawhitti
This thread now appears [for me] as the third result from the google search "Cleveland piano dealer closing". Google will probably be sending eyeballs here for years.

Anyway, this dealer appears to have had several locations yet has a truly awful web presence. This makes me think a business doesn't "get it" at all. If they can't be bothered to learn to adapt to the marketplace then it doesn't surprise me that they run into difficulty. Cleveland is not exactly a booming economy right now so there's probably not huge demand for guys in suits selling fine pianos at huge markups. The dealership appears to have been quite old and I'd guess they had become complacent and I'm sorry but Steinway dealers tend to be the most arrogant and dismissive of other makes.

So, Taking the long view, a wave of Steinway dealers closing is probably a good thing as it will force Steinway to confront the fact that other pianos (particularly Chinese pianos) need to be taken seriously. Steinway will need to compete better on price / performance or learn to be content with shrinking market share. The real tell will be if some of the music schools that sign exlusive contracts to be "Steinway schools" start to drop those contracts.

The days of trading solely on the reputation of Steinway are fading. I'm happy to see any dealers relying on that biting the dust as it will lead to better competition and open up opportunities for other manufacturers to expand their own makes.

It'll do no good to respond to the original post. The pecking party has already begun. "Bite the Dust" is not just a Queen song, the reference goes back as far as the 1728 and depending on how it's translated, may go all the way back to Homer's "Iliad". The OP's title may be seen as jocose or even glib but I don't read it as anyone dancing on a business's grave.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
+1 Kurt!

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission