2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,177 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Tararex, not sure what your post above was meant to convey. If it was educational, well I knew all that. I was simply pointing out that William Mason and Otis Boise (both Americans and presumably writing in English) were so remarkably similar in their reports, even using almost the same words. ('running commentary' vs 'running comments')

I don't doubt for a moment that each of them witnessed a life-changing event, I was just curious about the coincidence of the wording.

Jason
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Wanna talk about great sight readers? Talk about John Ogdon. You know the Brahms 2nd concerto story, right?

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
So I said to Franz, I said ... what’s all this malarkey about playing a romping ditty by Fred off-the-cuff ... makes us amachurs look kind of silly ...
so, if you don’t mind ... get back to your reverent prayerful vocation ... and please use this fully paid-for (well nearly) train ticket to Timbuktu .

Yours faithfully,
Peter Sellers

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Wanna talk about great sight readers? Talk about John Ogdon. You know the Brahms 2nd concerto story, right?

You sure, OSK? I thought it was the D minor. crazy

Yes, Ogdon was a legendary sight reader, but look at the amount of 20th century British piano concertos he championed! Staggering, he must have learned them overnight.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by btb
Yours faithfully,
Peter Sellers

Or perhaps Peter Sellars?

Jason
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Sorry about that fan ... the boo-boo has been corrected ... but later re-corrected to the first copy.

Must just tell that my son has given me access to the Goon show legacy ... my latest is the "The Phantom head-shaver of Brighton" with Spike Milliagan, Peter Sellars and Harry Seacombe ... with rivetting start including the advisory of an "arab stench-recuperating centre in Stoke-Poges ... the play is considered unsuitable for people".

However, on the Goon Show site, they spell Peter's surname SELLERS ... so what about it?

Originally Posted by argerichfan
Tararex, not sure what your post above was meant to convey. If it was educational, well I knew all that. I was simply pointing out that William Mason and Otis Boise (both Americans and presumably writing in English) were so remarkably similar in their reports, even using almost the same words. ('running commentary' vs 'running comments')

I don't doubt for a moment that each of them witnessed a life-changing event, I was just curious about the coincidence of the wording.

I'm not following your logic. Two people describe the same feat accomplished at different times. Wouldn't it be suspicious if the accounts didn't sound the same?

"No features of the workmanship, contrapuntal or instrumental, escaped his notice, and he made running comments without interrupting his progress."

"Not only did he perform the scherzo in a masterly fashion, however, but also kept up a running commentary on the music—much to Brahms' amazement and delight."

Is there another way of describing the witness of mad sight reading skills while simultaneously commenting to others? If you were to ask 100 people of standard writing skill to describe a specific action accomplished by a specific person, even if repeated at 100 different times and locations, how could they not be "coincidental"?

That sameness of description of the observed skills strengthens the case that the event was as described.

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by btb
Sorry about that fan ... the boo-boo has been corrected ... but later re-corrected to the first copy.
[...]
However, on the Goon Show site, they spell Peter's surname SELLERS ... so what about it?

Peter Sellers ≠ Peter Sellars.

The former: a British comedian/actor, the latter an American theatre director. Hence the argerichfan's suggested (tongue-in-cheek?) reference to the latter.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
[/quote]

Peter Sellers ≠ Peter Sellars.

How did you get that "does not equal" sign in there?

And, OSK, I'm not familiar with the John Ogdon story. Care to share (and become a member of the 5000 post club)?

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Originally Posted by Arghhh

I wondered too.
How I'd try to do it: Find it on google and copy/paste it. Let's see if that works:

≠

Bingo!!

But I suspect Bruce has a better way.

BTW I didn't know the Ogdon story either. I don't know if it's well known. Except among those who know it. grin

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I don't know the Ogdon story, but there are credible accounts of Liszt's feats as well as those of Saint-Saens that have led to them being thought of as two of the greatest (if not the greatest) sight-readers ever.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Arghhh

I wondered too.
How I'd try to do it: Find it on google and copy/paste it. Let's see if that works:

≠

Bingo!!

But I suspect Bruce has a better way.
[...]

Not necessarily a "better" way, just a different one. I copy and paste from a character map which is pinned to my task bar. Same idea, except that I don't have to go to Google to find it.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Tararex

That sameness of description of the observed skills strengthens the case that the event was as described.

You have a valid point, no argument there, but was still curious about the similarity, not much else.

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by sophial
I don't know the Ogdon story, but there are credible accounts of Liszt's feats as well as those of Saint-Saens that have led to them being thought of as two of the greatest (if not the greatest) sight-readers ever.

Indeed, but Brenda Lucas in her bio of her late husband, reports sight reading abilities that may very well be on the level of S-S or Liszt.

Full disclosure, this bio has been highly criticized by one particular member -who personally knew Ogdon- on the Radio 3 message board. There is reportedly a new bio in the works, though I don't think that Ogdon's talent as a sight reader or as a pianist who could learn instantly will be questioned.

Jason
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by sophial

Indeed, but Brenda Lucas in her bio of her late husband, reports sight reading abilities that may very well be on the level of S-S or Liszt.

Full disclosure, this bio has been highly criticized by one particular member -who personally knew Ogdon- on the Radio 3 message board. There is reportedly a new bio in the works, though I don't think that Ogdon's talent as a sight reader or as a pianist who could learn instantly will be questioned.
That bio is quite depressing because there's much description of Ogdon's mental illness.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
That bio is quite depressing because there's much description of Ogdon's mental illness.

It was horrible reading, worse because Ogdon's diabetes was undiagnosed until too late.

Jason
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks BruceD for the explanation (Sellars: American Theatre Director)... I can just imagine that all the chaps will now be using that cunning "≠" symbol to disagree ... saves a lot of unnecessary woids.

Originally Posted by btb
Thanks BruceD for the explanation (Sellars: American Theatre Director)... I can just imagine that all the chaps will now be using that cunning "≠" symbol to disagree ... saves a lot of unnecessary woids.

Yeah, except he didn't use it to mean disagree. He used the "doesn't equal" sign to mean, doesn't equal. grin

Here's what people should use for "disagree":

[Linked Image]

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks Mark C ... I need a 2nd morning cup of tea to cotton on properly to the fine print ... but won't disagree with you too much ... so you can take your
head-shaking sign down.

Very sad story, that of Ogdon, he was a outstanding pianist

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission