Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2017395 - 01/19/13 04:33 PM First time poster - First time piano owner !!!
TBAF Offline

Loc: Liverpool, UK
Hi everyone.

I've been a 'lurker' on this fine forum for many months now. Ever since I got serious about learning piano again, following a 20 year break coinciding with me finishing school.

Long evenings at home while my wife is at work, and my near 4-year-old Son is in bed, I found myself plucking away at my guitar, and rekindled some sort of serious interest in learning to play music again. While I've always been able to turn my hand to a guitar, I've always been extremely envious of anybody who was able to play piano. I've finally decided I'm going to go for it.

I find some of the stories on here of people returning to piano after many years really inspirational, and it was part of the driving force which made me go out and finally buy my new digital piano today. I hope I will be able to continue to find solace and a bit of inspiration when I inevitably 'hit the wall' at some point.

I've gone for the Yamaha P35. I've read the mixed reviews on both here and other sites, but weighing up what I need, what I can afford, and what are merely bells and whistles to the beginner ear, I think I've made the right choice. We don't have the space in our house for anything which can occupy a permanent space, so this is the only option I could convince my sceptical wife of!!!

I'm not in a position to have lessons with a local teacher yet. So I've managed to lay my hand on the complete set of 'Play It Today' piano course, on cassette and booklet. Published by Orbis Publishing in the UK back in the '80's, I had the first couple of editions as a kid, but the lack of a proper piano at home and school limited my ability to practice enough, and I quickly packed it in (to much regret). Now though, it's something which I think can keep me on the straight and narrow while I learn the basic skills.

Wish me luck!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2017417 - 01/19/13 05:14 PM Re: First time poster - First time piano owner !!! [Re: TBAF]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Welcome!

You may notice as I have as you travel around 'pool that there are a heck of a lot of pianos everywhere you go, in pubs community centres etc.

They are out of tune but once you look you see them everywhere.

#2017418 - 01/19/13 05:19 PM Re: First time poster - First time piano owner !!! [Re: TBAF]
TBAF Offline

I have actually. It's like you subconsciously look for them.

I reckon the street-pianos in Liverpool City Centre last summer reignited some kind of desire to play again within me.

#2017489 - 01/19/13 07:31 PM Re: First time poster - First time piano owner !!! [Re: TBAF]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Welcome TBAF! I'm in the Pool as well! I thought the street pianos last summer were nice to see- many people playing them. Hope you have many great evenings with your Yamaha.

I also like the piano in Mello Mello- it actually gets tuned!

And there's an old Van Gruisen, Liverpool made piano ( same make as mine) upstairs in Leaf Tea.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (01/19/13 07:32 PM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2017518 - 01/19/13 08:36 PM Re: First time poster - First time piano owner !!! [Re: TBAF]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Welcome to the forum TBAF. The Yamaha P35 sounds like a fine choice given your situation (4-year kid, no permanent place for the piano).

Good luck on your journey.

#2017679 - 01/20/13 06:14 AM Re: First time poster - First time piano owner !!! [Re: TBAF]
Euphonatrix Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hessen, Germany
Welcome TBAF - good luck but first and foremost: lots and lots of FUN!
Enjoy your piano journey.

#2017770 - 01/20/13 11:03 AM Re: First time poster - First time piano owner !!! [Re: TBAF]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Hello TBAF smile
If you've been lurking here I'm sure you know what a great and friendly place you have found. Congratulations on your new piano. I hope that it gives you many years of great joy. And who knows, your son may even get the bug to play too when he sees your example. Anyway, a hearty welcome to the forum and wishes for a successful piano journey ahead.

#2017896 - 01/20/13 03:22 PM Re: First time poster - First time piano owner !!! [Re: TBAF]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum, TBAF! smile What kind of music do you want to most learn to play?

#2017913 - 01/20/13 03:55 PM Re: First time poster - First time piano owner !!! [Re: TBAF]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
Welcome TBAF. I'm an off and on lurker myself.

#2017923 - 01/20/13 04:10 PM Re: First time poster - First time piano owner !!! [Re: Monica K.]
TBAF Offline

Thanks Monika.

Initially, it's to be able to play along to pop/folk songs (Coldplay, REM, Ray Lamontagne etc). I'm a Paul Weller fan. My wedding dance was You Do Something To Me, and I'm setting a goal to play that for my wife on our next anniversary in August (soppy, I know)!

As a schoolboy, I sat music exams, and would love to learn more skilful classical pieces. The popular Moonlight Sonata has always been a favourite.

So a mix of targets really. It's got to be challenging, but enjoyable too.

#2017925 - 01/20/13 04:13 PM Re: First time poster - First time piano owner !!! [Re: fizikisto]
TBAF Offline

Thanks for the message fizikisto.

I must admit, I intend to be a bit more proactive in encouraging my children (we have another on the way) to take up music and learn instruments. I think it makes people generally more rounded.

It also helped as a bargaining tool in laying out the cash to buy it!!!

Edited by TBAF (01/20/13 05:00 PM)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Schoenberg's Kammersymphonie Op. 9 (for piano)
by jeffreyjones
29 minutes 17 seconds ago
Old Schumann Upright
by UnrightTooner
52 minutes 34 seconds ago
For sale: stand & monitors (used with MP11)...
by mrmacmusic
Today at 07:38 AM
Modern Jazz Pianists and Compositions
by b4ggy
Today at 07:07 AM
Interview with Leon Fleisher
by vlhorowitz
Today at 04:27 AM
Who's Online
134 registered (anamnesis, Al LaPorte, ajames, amt976, 37 invisible), 1386 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76385 Members
42 Forums
157917 Topics
2319197 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission