Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2017979 - 01/20/13 06:37 PM Alfred's self Teaching Adult Piano Course
Vince R Offline

Can someone offer me advice, please ?

I am looking at purchasing the Adult Self teaching course (with CD). The suggestion is once finished with this book to go on to 'Alfred's Basic adult Piano Course' book 2. I
have see there is a level 2 and level 3. Are these the same as book 2 and book 3 ?
Is there a book 4 etc. ? I am just looking to learn and play well enough for fun and entertainment. I do want to read music and be able to play popular songs.

Also, I am also looking at the e-media course 'deluxe' vesion that seems very interactive and user friendly. Anyone using or have used this course ?

I nee to make a decision as I want to start playing.

Thank you for your help
Vincent

Please advise

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2018042 - 01/20/13 09:04 PM Re: Alfred's self Teaching Adult Piano Course [Re: Vince R]
BillTheSlink Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
There are actually two versions of the self teaching Alfred's course. The one I have is "Alfred's Self Teaching Adult Piano Course" and the other is "Teach Yourself Piano". The first has a gold tone cover with a grand piano on it. It is the same thing as "Alfred's Adult Basic Piano Course Book 1" with a couple of extra songs and a good measure of explanation for each piece. Books 2 & 3 are continuations of the series. I believe in time the Basic Books 2 & 3 will be out in "Teach Yourself" form, as they are already out in digital format. I cannot comment on the digital form, but the book form is nice, but the CD, as in the entire Alfred's series, is poor. They use all types of real and synthetic instruments for the piano part and it is often overpowered by the accompaniment. No worries though as you can find entire playlists on YouTube that covers the books. If you do want to even get to an intermediate level you're going to need to do all three levels and there will still be work to do.

Just so you know the Alfred's Adult All in 1 book 1 thread here pretty much matches The Book your asking about so you will be able to get plenty of help.
Good Luck,
BTS

EDIT: As of now there is only book 1,2,3.

Edited by BillTheSlink (01/20/13 09:08 PM)
Currently I am without a piano, but when I get mine back I will be working on "The Complete Piano Player", as well as Neely's "How to Play from a Fake Book. I am spending my time working on theory and learning how to construct chords currently.

#2018092 - 01/21/13 12:23 AM Re: Alfred's self Teaching Adult Piano Course [Re: Vince R]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
You could check with the folks contributing to the ALFRED'S BOOK 1 Thread. I think they use THIS BOOK with or without the CD.

#2018114 - 01/21/13 01:31 AM Re: Alfred's self Teaching Adult Piano Course [Re: bluebilly]
BillTheSlink Offline

Originally Posted By: bluebilly
You could check with the folks contributing to the ALFRED'S BOOK 1 Thread. I think they use THIS BOOK with or without the CD.

Basically the self teaching book is that same book minus some theory, plus a lot of instruction on technique.
Currently I am without a piano, but when I get mine back I will be working on "The Complete Piano Player", as well as Neely's "How to Play from a Fake Book. I am spending my time working on theory and learning how to construct chords currently.

#2018221 - 01/21/13 08:26 AM Re: Alfred's self Teaching Adult Piano Course [Re: BillTheSlink]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: BillTheSlink

Basically the self teaching book is that same book minus some theory, plus a lot of instruction on technique.

It gets complicated, especially if anyone's trying to follow the Alfred's threads on this forum. Do the books contain the same list of pieces?

#2018222 - 01/21/13 08:30 AM Re: Alfred's self Teaching Adult Piano Course [Re: Vince R]
scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Whichever book you choose from the Alfred series, make sure you get one with a DVD. At the beginning, seeing someone else play the pieces was quite helpful.

I started with Alfred's Teach Yourself to Play Piano: Everything You Need to Know to Start Playing Now!, but switched to the All-In-One series as it seemed more comprehensive. I am also trying to learn theory as I go.

I'm new too. It's tough on your own. You have to be patient and work at it. But I can't get enough of it!

Yamaha P-155

#2018430 - 01/21/13 01:51 PM Re: Alfred's self Teaching Adult Piano Course [Re: Vince R]
    klaviero Offline

Loc: Canada
    I am currently learning with Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-One Course and I think it's great. There is a good mix of theory and exercises and I feel I am progressing at a regular pace. I don't have the CDs though but the book alone is very good for beginners and when I want to know how a particular piece is supposed to sound, I just search it on Youtube.

I would recommend these books to anyone who is just starting on the piano. smile

#2018631 - 01/21/13 09:16 PM Re: Alfred's self Teaching Adult Piano Course [Re: bluebilly]
    BillTheSlink Offline

Originally Posted By: BillTheSlink

It gets complicated, especially if anyone's trying to follow the Alfred's threads on this forum. Do the books contain the same list of pieces?

Exactly the same, plus two or three additional. Of course page numbers will be different.

#2213668 - 01/12/14 09:46 PM Re: Alfred's self Teaching Adult Piano Course [Re: Vince R]
    sretsbor Offline

Well, with life getting in the way, it took me about a year from my first post here to get my keyboard but I picked up a used Yamaha P95 in great shape and I just received my Alfred Adult All in One Level 1 course and I have a teacher lined up to start giving me lessons in a few weeks. Whew, that was one long sentence!

I'm 54 years old, brand new to the piano but have about 6-7 years on guitar under my belt. I know very little guitar theory other than basic chord constructs and I'm looking forward to learning a little music theory on the piano and blending in the theory between piano and guitar. Anyway just wanted to say hello and introduce myself to the thread.

Rob

Edited by sretsbor (01/12/14 09:47 PM)

#2213718 - 01/12/14 11:00 PM Re: Alfred's self Teaching Adult Piano Course [Re: Vince R]
    earlofmar Online   content
    1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
    best of luck in the coming months sretsbor. Don't let life get in the way again lol

#2213724 - 01/12/14 11:07 PM Re: Alfred's self Teaching Adult Piano Course [Re: sretsbor]
    dmd Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
    Originally Posted By: sretsbor
    I have a teacher lined up to start giving me lessons in a few weeks.

Congratulations on this very important aspect learning to play.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#2213773 - 01/13/14 01:16 AM Re: Alfred's self Teaching Adult Piano Course [Re: Vince R]
    sretsbor Offline

Whoops. Sorry to post in your thread Vince, I thought that I was in the Alfred Book 1 thread. See, I told you I'm a beginner smile

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
    What's Hot!!
    Our latest Issue is available now...
    Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
    -------------------
    HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
    -------------------
    Sharing is Caring!
    About the Buttons
    -------------------
    Forums Rules & Help
    -------------------
    ADVERTISE
    on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
    (ad) HAILUN Pianos
    Hailun Pianos - Click for More
    Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
    Knabe Pianos
    Sheet Music
    (PW is an affiliate)
    Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
    (125ad) Dampp Chaser
    Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
    (ad) Lindeblad Piano
    Lindeblad Piano Restoration
    Who's Online
    95 registered (a-z0-9, AndrewJCW, ando, aDino, aesop, 29 invisible), 1321 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    75581 Members
    42 Forums
    156275 Topics
    2295041 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
    New Topics - Multiple Forums
    Impromptu in A
    by Ritzycat
    07/30/14 12:42 AM
    what do you think piano teachers about it?
    by Maximillyan
    07/30/14 12:15 AM
    picking a fight: how many movements in op.110?
    by beet31425
    07/29/14 11:36 PM
    Old Wurlitzer (circa 1940s) baby grand, Worth Picking Up?
    by Paul678
    07/29/14 10:38 PM
    Swamp Cooler and Air Conditioner- Use only One of them!
    by Paul678
    07/29/14 10:33 PM
    (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
    | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
    | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
    | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
    No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission