Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
155 registered (36251, accordeur, A Guy, ABC Vermonter, activee, 43 invisible), 1716 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#2017004 - 01/19/13 12:19 AM Re: How good do you think Chopin's technique was? [Re: jdott]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: jdott
What's wrong with 'Freddy?'....

I thought it was pretty funny. smile

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2017982 - 01/20/13 06:42 PM Re: How good do you think Chopin's technique was? [Re: jdott]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Nobody knows when Chopin contracted TB (if that's what he had). He was having serious pulmonary trouble by the time he was fifteen if not a good bit earlier. He was fifteen when he was treated at a spa along with his younger sister who was also ill. His sister died, he got better, temporarily at least. He first used the dreaded C word, consumption, in his late 20's when he became very ill while in Majorca with George Sand. He was described as a consumptive by third parties a good bit earlier than that. And possibly diagnosed for all we know. He had a lion's heart and was a master of denial.

Chopin never concertized extensively. His lifetime total is something like thirty and almost none of them were the extensive affairs we would think of as a concert by a major artist today. You may be thinking of the killing concert schedule he was depicted as following in A Song to Remember. Blood on the keys and all that. That never happened, though ironically he did give his last concerts, a handful, in England and Scotland, when he was very ill because he was adrift after George Sand dumped him and very broke.

Chopin flat out hated playing for strangers in public. He said it suffocated him. According to George Sand, his ideal venue would've been a dark stage, an empty hall, and a muted piano.

#2018010 - 01/20/13 07:50 PM Re: How good do you think Chopin's technique was? [Re: Mark_C]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: jdott
What's wrong with 'Freddy?'....

I thought it was pretty funny. smile

Freddy Krueger was (? is) invincible, unlike Frederyk Chopin..... wink

#2018014 - 01/20/13 07:55 PM Re: How good do you think Chopin's technique was? [Re: -Frycek]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: -Frycek
....He first used the dreaded C word, consumption, in his late 20's when he became very ill while in Majorca with George Sand....

I think what they called consumption probably included the thing that is our dreaded C word, as well as TB (which was probably what it usually was) and other things.

BTW great post, Frycek -- and great to see you on here. smile

What you said about his performing is in line with what I've ever come across. And I don't think even "Song to Remember" gives much of an impression that it was otherwise, even though they have him doing that breakneck final tour.

#2018157 - 01/21/13 03:35 AM Re: How good do you think Chopin's technique was? [Re: Mark_C]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Quote:
I think what they called consumption probably included the thing that is our dreaded C word, as well as TB (which was probably what it usually was) and other things.

I've often wondered the same thing, how much of a catch all term consumption was, though I suppose even then a canny physician would have realized a difference in the symptoms between lung cancer and tuberculosis - which are distinctly different. Don't really know how prevalent lung cancer was in the early 19th century.

Quote:
What you said about his performing is in line with what I've ever come across. And I don't think even "Song to Remember" gives much of an impression that it was otherwise, even though they have him doing that breakneck final tour.

It was the breakneck final tour I was thinking about. You're right though, now that I remember, in the movie some Polish rebels/exiles (?) guilt tripped him into doing even that.

#2018247 - 01/21/13 09:29 AM Re: How good do you think Chopin's technique was? [Re: -Frycek]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: -Frycek
Quote:

It was the breakneck final tour I was thinking about. You're right though, now that I remember, in the movie some Polish rebels/exiles (?) guilt tripped him into doing even that.

As I recall, the film (which I saw a couple of years ago) was an entertaining piece of fiction which wove Chopin's hit tunes into a series of implausible vignettes. For example, the scene where Chopin first met Liszt featured the Opus 53 Polonaise which I'm certain was composed well after their initial meeting actually took place. The breakneck final tour just made me laugh. But, to its credit, "Song" increased public awareness of Chopin's music in general.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about hanno.
by activee
12/22/14 02:42 PM
How to solve psychological problem on piano playing?
by ppianist
12/22/14 02:34 PM
Moving from desert to ocean
by cullam
12/22/14 02:00 PM
CP50 noisy key...
by G. Bonner
12/22/14 12:30 PM
Partial versus Full Regulation
by MusicMagellan
12/22/14 12:22 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160057 Topics
2350547 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission