Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2018196 - 01/21/13 07:19 AM Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX
Concrux Offline

Hi.

I'm planning to buy a Roland RD-700NX. I've been reading plenty of different threads about the same subject on this board for hours, but I'm still not completely sure how to setup the sound. It seems to me (after reading different threads) that the best solution for home use is to buy two studio monitors.

Are two studio monitors all I need to get good sound from a Roland RD700NX? Can I just plug them directly in the DP and play? Will this give me stereo sound? Are two studio monitors the best solution for home use, or what esle whould you recommend?

Which studio monitors would you recommend? Mainly for home use, but I want to be able to play quite loudly as well. Here is a list of monitors which already have been recommended on this board that are in my price range:

- Studiomonitor Tannoy REVEAL 501A
- KRK Rokit 8
- M1Active MKII
- JBL Control 2

Would any of these work? Do you have any other suggestions?

In addition I will need a new headset. Here is a similar list:

- ATH m50
- Sennheiser HD595
- Beyerdynamic dt 770

Other suggestions? How many Ohms do I need to make the headset work properly on the RD-700NX?

I don't have much knowledge about this, so I appreciate all feedback I can get.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2018197 - 01/21/13 07:23 AM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: Concrux
Hi.

I'm planning to buy a Roland RD-700NX. I've been reading plenty of different threads about the same subject on this board for hours, but I'm still not completely sure how to setup the sound. It seems to me (after reading different threads) that the best solution for home use is to buy two studio monitors.

Are two studio monitors all I need to get good sound from a Roland RD700NX? Can I just plug them directly in the DP and play? Will this give me stereo sound? Are two studio monitors the best solution for home use, or what esle whould you recommend?

Which studio monitors would you recommend? Mainly for home use, but I want to be able to play quite loudly as well. Here is a list of monitors which already have been recommended on this board that are in my price range:

- Studiomonitor Tannoy REVEAL 501A
- KRK Rokit 8
- M1Active MKII
- JBL Control 2

Would any of these work? Do you have any other suggestions?

In addition I will need a new headset. Here is a similar list:

- ATH m50
- Sennheiser HD595
- Beyerdynamic dt 770

Other suggestions? How many Ohms do I need to make the headset work properly on the RD-700NX?

I don't have much knowledge about this, so I appreciate all feedback I can get.

The only thing wrong is your Rokit 8's need a subwoofer to get the best sound out of the RD700NX .... the HD595's will be great.

#2018281 - 01/21/13 10:27 AM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
Concrux Offline

Thanks for your feedback.

If I need a subwoofer for the Rokit 8, it will probably be a little bit too expensive, unless there are some decent subwoofers out there that are quite cheap. Do I need a subwoofer if I purchase any of the other monitors I listed up? Are there any other monitors you would recommend for my use?

#2018283 - 01/21/13 10:30 AM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Go with the Rokit's without the sub. Add the sub later if you think it's needed for your room, and you've saved towards it further.

#2018305 - 01/21/13 10:52 AM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
Concrux Offline

Will a KRK 10s (http://www.krksys.com/krk-subwoofers/10s.html) be a good subwoofer choice if I go for the Rokit 8s?

#2018362 - 01/21/13 12:06 PM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
If you get a sub you don't need the 8's. You can get the 6's (or maybe even the 5's) and save some money.

I had the 8's and they are decent until you get to the lowest octave or two. That's probably going to be generally true of any speaker with 8" cones or smaller, though. If you want to represent the lowest notes on the piano decently, you really need a sub.

BTW I also agree about the sennheisers. I have those and also the M50s and the senns sound much better and are way more comfortable. Though, they don't insulate you from room noise, which the M50's do.

Edited by gvfarns (01/21/13 12:08 PM)

#2018515 - 01/21/13 05:05 PM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
The current version of the Sennheiser is HD598 - they're very good, but I've never tried the 595s so I can't tell how they compare.

#2018523 - 01/21/13 05:16 PM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
If I recall correctly the difference is only aesethetic.

#2018531 - 01/21/13 05:41 PM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Will a KRK 10s (http://www.krksys.com/krk-subwoofers/10s.html) be a good subwoofer choice if I go for the Rokit 8s?

Yes that sub plus as gvfarns said ..you could get the Rokit 6's .... or you could forgo the sub and get the Rokit 10-3's but they are going to be as expensive.

#2018593 - 01/21/13 07:46 PM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Dr Popper]
Vas Online   content

Hello,

Not tying to hijack this thread but my questions is very similar to OP. I hope my questions add rather than detract.

The NAMM 2013 did not so far offer anything new to consider. So I am planning to buy a RD700NX. I will use it to record and no live performance.

I now have:

Event the original 20/20BAS and the 20/20 S250 system subwoofer. I find these on the cold side and uninspiring. Perhaps they are too flat?

Marantz 2230 with Advent and Infinity speakers. Can play either or both.

AKG K240 Monitor, K240DF, K270 Studio and Sony MDR7509.

Which if any of these should I use? Get the Rokit and sell the Events? Please comment.

#2018704 - 01/21/13 11:57 PM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Maybe although I'd like to hear the Infinity's .... might be a good fit.

#2018735 - 01/22/13 01:27 AM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Dr Popper]
Vas Online   content

My Marantz Infinity/Advent hi-fi is warm and will sound good. For recording I also need it to sound accurate. Not sure if the Event speakers are up to the task.

#2018808 - 01/22/13 05:08 AM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: gvfarns]
verbo Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Originally Posted By: gvfarns
If you get a sub you don't need the 8's. You can get the 6's (or maybe even the 5's) and save some money.

I had the 8's and they are decent until you get to the lowest octave or two. That's probably going to be generally true of any speaker with 8" cones or smaller, though. If you want to represent the lowest notes on the piano decently, you really need a sub.

BTW I also agree about the sennheisers. I have those and also the M50s and the senns sound much better and are way more comfortable. Though, they don't insulate you from room noise, which the M50's do.

Personally, I have followed gvfarns advice and bought two KRK RP6's for my RD700-NX so that I save some money and purchase a sub woofer later on, if needed. They actually sound great (even though I do not really play often on the lowest notes of the piano); however, it is in my plans to go for the RP10 in the coming year.

Current equipment: Roland XP30 | Korg PA800 | Roland RD700NX | KRK RP6-G2
Future upgrade: KRK 10s subwoofer | Behringer Xenyx 1222 FX (?)

#2019147 - 01/22/13 04:09 PM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
Concrux Offline

Thank you again for your feedback.

Just to clarify: If I buy two Rokit 8s and a Rokit 10s subwoofer, I can just plug them directly into the RD 700NX and get stereo sound? I don't need any other amplifier or something else to get sound from it? Will this be the best solution for home use?

#2019151 - 01/22/13 04:21 PM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Concrux, correct, you don't need anything else as 10s has thru terminals and the amplifiers are built-in to the speakers (active).

Edited by Amaruk (01/22/13 04:25 PM)

#2019242 - 01/22/13 06:59 PM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you again for your feedback.

Just to clarify: If I buy two Rokit 8s and a Rokit 10s subwoofer, I can just plug them directly into the RD 700NX and get stereo sound? I don't need any other amplifier or something else to get sound from it? Will this be the best solution for home use?

Yes you just plug them in.

#2019735 - 01/23/13 04:17 PM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
Concrux Offline

Thanks to all of you for your help. I've decided to go for two Rokit 6's and a Rokit 10s.

#2019738 - 01/23/13 04:21 PM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
Gatsbee13 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So Cal
youll like the rokit 6's.. i just picked them up at a stellar price during the holiday sales.. i dont have the rokit 10s,but i may consider it in the future. i have the setup in a small bedroom. also using the audio technica ath m-50s as headphones..

can i ask why you are going with the krk 6's? did you audition them at a local store and decided to buy after what you heard them?

#2019761 - 01/23/13 04:50 PM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
Concrux Offline

I live in a small town with one music shop, which doesn't have much to offer, so my purchase is therefore purely based on recommendations. Hopefully I will be content with them. :-)

#2020517 - 01/24/13 04:10 PM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
Concrux Offline

I've ordered the RD700NX and the Sennheiser HD598 now, and I started thinking about how the Rokit 6's and the subwoofer would sound to other persons in the room, taken into account that they are considered as "near field speakers". What are your thoughts about that? I understand that I will get the best sound by sitting in the "sweet spot" of a triangle, but will they sound bad if I walk around and listen to them from other places in the room? Perhaps floor standing Hifi speakers will be more suitable for my use, if I want to fill the whole room with sound? The room is 4,5 m x 4 m, by the way.

At least one thing is certain: The search for speakers is driving me crazy.

Edited by Concrux (01/27/13 09:58 AM)

#2022087 - 01/27/13 10:07 AM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
Concrux Offline

Now I'm considering to buy a pair of floor speakers. I want to be able to fill the whole room with sound, and I will not use the speakers for mixing or recording. It seems to me that a pair of floor speakers will be better at this than directional studio monitors. But I'm not sure...

Do you think a pair of Polk Audio TSI 500 floor speakers will sound better than two Rokits and a sub for my use?

#2022100 - 01/27/13 10:25 AM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In a 4x4.5m room the rokits and a sub won't have much trouble filling the room. If your at all concerned then get the 8's with the sub.... Hi fi speakers tend to "colour" the sound.

#2022123 - 01/27/13 11:02 AM Re: Monitors and headset for Roland RD-700NX [Re: Concrux]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Those Polks are superb. Nice choice.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dream Keys Complete - Your Opinion Please
by Vas
32 minutes 45 seconds ago
First tuning my piano with TuneLab
by Pablo Arturi
Today at 04:03 PM
Getting back into it
by Upside
Today at 03:32 PM
In search of my piano name Brand
by Leoni
Today at 03:05 PM
"Black Widow" - Iggy Azalea
by Zach Evans
Today at 02:13 PM
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, 255, Altair, ajames, alans, 47 invisible), 1491 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157567 Topics
2314419 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission