2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by rxd
I have had an informal rule all my tuning life. Whenever there are piano positioning problems, I look around and invariably the ideal place for the piano is where the most comfortable chair is.

I have heard many times that the piano is the 3th or 4ht most important investment at home (1st the house, 2nd the car, 3th the piano)

Last edited by Pianos & Pianos Mexico; 01/21/13 01:46 PM.

Sergio L. Ruiz Jones
Piano Tech
Pianos & Pianos
Piano tuning, service and restoration
Afinacion y Restauracion de pianos
www.pianosandpianos.com
Sergio.ruiz@pianosandpianos.com
Mazatlan, Mexico.
OP Offline
It's the OP again,
I've updated my flickr account to show pics of the entire living room.

This shows all the walls of the room.
It looks like I'll be doing this!
Covering up the bottom half of the window wioth cardboard, behind the pleatewwd shade. So the cardboard won't be visible from the inside, only from the outside of thehouse. Which I can live with.
2.) Closing the forced ait heating vent (there is no AC) and also covering it with cardboard. You won't see the carxboard since the oiano will block it.
I know these cardboard fixes sound awfully cheap of me, but I'm laying out all I have on the house! No money left!

So please tell me if either of these are a bad idea, or simply not enough of a fix. I'm not as worried about esthetics as I am about keepoing my beloved piano safe and in tune and not dried up.
Also, if oyu have any additional or better ideas, please tell me! Otherwise, it's going to be this cardboard fix-up.

I want to thank all of you for all the womnderful ideas and info you gave me. I am truly touched that so many of you were concerned enough to offer me your expertise.

Please excuse the typos. I'm having a glitch on this site and I can't move the cursor back to correct.
Check out the situation here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infinitypiano/

Infinity
Pianist and Teacher
West Orange, NJ
www.pianolessonsnj.com
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Infinity
Well, my piano gets played every day all day by my students and by myself after that. It' s more than just an heirlom. It' s my piano!
The other wall is worse, the widow being even larger and close to the door.
This is a tiny bungalo and these is no other room.
I had a near complete restoration done in 1990 and would like to protect my investment, he only piano I own (which I use to make my living) , and the only memory of my late Father.

This piano means a lot to you. You have many suggestions, some from practical experience, some purely theoretical and untried.

Stand back and take a real good look around. Ask yourself, What would your father have done.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If you're not expecting umpteens of dining guests every night, i.e. if your dining furniture won't extend too far into the lounge area, I would consider to shift the piano left of the window, after having properly blocked the higher air vent closer to the window (and possibly even the other one at floor level).

Alternately, if the wiring/cable allows, change the piano and the entertainment center around.

Personally, I'd not want my piano in the area with the two windows. I do like sunlight in my home, but not on my piano - not even indirectly.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
[Linked Image]

I would seriously put it here above all other options. Entertainment centre be damned, if the cables don't reach, get longer cables!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission