2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 193 of 341 1 2 191 192 193 194 195 340 341
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
and btw, thanks for introducing me to Pilc. Those masterclasses of his are amazing.

He said in one of them:
Some people have a hard time singing lines. Some people have a hard time playing them. 2 different skills. Why did I never think of that? Do you see the part where he plays 4 notes and a walking bass, and you have to play it back? Interesting, no?

I'm going up to NY in a couple months, I've been trying to reach him to see if I could hook up. Any hint? I'd love to take a quick lesson.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
There's a bit of power since I get the gigs and I can change the musicians around if they're a problem. Some singers I've dumped. As I meet new singers, my standards get better and I dump the lesser performers. It's a tough call sometimes.

But I am also responsible for the band's image. So oftentimes it goes beyond my own performance. I might turn into a bit player for the benefit of the group.

Trust me, you don't need to know the melody to "Fever". I'm so sick of Summertime now too that I wish I didn't know the melody. Anything the vocals do is not a tune I particularly energized to blow on. If I try to develop an idea, they'll just cut me off anyway and come back in.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
and btw, thanks for introducing me to Pilc. Those masterclasses of his are amazing.

He said in one of them:
Some people have a hard time singing lines. Some people have a hard time playing them. 2 different skills. Why did I never think of that? Do you see the part where he plays 4 notes and a walking bass, and you have to play it back? Interesting, no?

I'm going up to NY in a couple months, I've been trying to reach him to see if I could hook up. Any hint? I'd love to take a quick lesson.

I've never seen Pilc, but Ari and Johannes Weidenmueller (Bass Player) -- who I've talked to, both teach at the New School in NYC. So maybe Pilc teaches there too.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The luxury of playing without a singer. Summertime and Valentine hardly ever get called. It's almost refreshing when they do.

Did you see the vid of Ari where he says "if you can't play by yourself, you can't play with others" ? Coming from a drummer. That's very interesting.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I'm starting practice on a trio. I'm going to work on this all next year. But trio is hard work. You have to carry the whole thing, other than for the break with the bass solo. I'm not good enough to be the focus.

The good news with a trio is that I would work on tunes I know well.

My Jazz Blog

R
R
ah the perils of playing with a singer! I tried it and gave up. Most of them do have that prima donna ego thing and if you play anything out of line they give you a death stare! For my sanity I gave up bothering playing with them. They can't seem to grasp the fact that they need you more than you need them.

There are a few singers I do like, Gretchen Parlato, Esperanza Spalding, Laila Biali, Sophie Milman. The guys, hmm.. Jamie Cullum is ok. I like how he's transforming jazz. Harry Connick Jr and Tony Bennett, not really into. and Michael Buble, blah! how that guy ever got mainstream is beyond me. the girls love him though.

R
R

A funny andedote I read, when Tony Bennett was recording his new Duets 2 album, he cut a track with Herbie Hancock.

It ended up not making the record as Tony said Herbie's playing was "too out". Man if Herbie couldn't please him I don't know who could.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Apparently, lady gaga was good enough ...

This looks more like a straight up pop album, but even Herbie is killer at this pop stuff. All other collaborators are singers though.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Redux

A funny andedote I read, when Tony Bennett was recording his new Duets 2 album, he cut a track with Herbie Hancock.

It ended up not making the record as Tony said Herbie's playing was "too out". Man if Herbie couldn't please him I don't know who could.

Tony's not as hip as you would think. He's coming straight from total swing, out of Sinatra and all. It's show biz not Jazz..Many a serious Jazz player couldn't hang on that gig--Joe Labarbera, Bill Charlap and other less name guys. Herbie probably sounded like Stravinsky to TB.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Joe Labarbera stuck with him though. I think right after Bill Evans died.

I didn't know Charlap was his pianist...interesting side stories.

BTW - that's what vocalists do. Show Biz, not jazz. That's why they get on my nerves. I had an argument with a vocalist at a jam session last time. This woman wanted to control all the songs and not give us an instrumental turn. To her, we're still playing. It doesn't matter to her that we'd choose Stella and Footprints, and she'll choose Fever and Summertime.

She calls Route 66 and cuts me off at one chorus and starts back with the head. BLUES -- ONE CHORUS. 12 bars was all I got.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Singers. Love to play with them, I really enjoy playing accompaniment - being the orchestra behind them. On the other hand, good jazz singers are far and few between.

About practising; two weeks ago I made the decision to always use a metronome when practising - and to add 5 bpm per day.
Boy o boy what a difference it has made! It's extremely annoying though. beep beep beep beep!
But well worth it.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
What tempo did you end at? And did you do 2/4?

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
practice never ends. smile
though the higher i get the slower the increments are, need to let the intrinsics acclimate themselves.
you mean 2 and 4, simulating a tall-boy backbeat?
no i don't. i don't want to fall into a 2-4 feel, more a 6 over 4 in tempo on time.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I've focused my practice often to the uptempo side and it's showing now in a little bit of technical facility. I needed to do this because at jams, someone will just make the tempo creep up and it used to panic me.

Maybe I should shift back to the slow side now. For awhile the slow side was harder but perhaps not so anymore.

Fortunately, no other person in the jams would count down anything faster than 200. But for some reason the bass player does it with me. Maybe because I don't back down smile

Mr PC at 240. Damn, I can't say what I play is musical anymore. Kind of like Solar. The form is so short that it just becomes a blur.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
There are just so many rhythmic things to practice, fast, slow, different grooves and subdivisions, claves, talas, crossrhythms, metric modulations etc
I am trying fast 5/4 at the moment. It is difficult not to get lost and it takes a long long time to really sink in.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
are you working on 5 or on 3+2?

something i've found beneficial, is having the metronome on 1 2 3 4 but with no accent on the 1, and practice shifting 1 2 3 4 > 1 2 3 > 1 2 3 4 5 > etc

Last edited by chrisbell; 11/28/11 01:16 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Re Singers: this is something that I enjoy doing.

Last edited by chrisbell; 11/28/11 01:38 PM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by chrisbell

are you working on 5 or on 3+2?

Ha, no, actually I am trying NOT to play 3 and 2. More like trying to play freely across the beats and bars but without getting lost. Maybe I will post something up soon to give the idea of what I'm doing.

Originally Posted by chrisbell

Re Singers: this is something that I enjoy doing.

Is that you in the video Chris? Sounds very nice.

I must admit that I try to avoid doing jazz with singers but I do some other stuff with singers, like this …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0vSu87rIOg

(i must learn how to make the youtube show up as a video ratehr than a link. how do you do it?)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss

Ha, no, actually I am trying NOT to play 3 and 2. More like trying to play freely across the beats and bars but without getting lost. Maybe I will post something up soon to give the idea of what I'm doing.
I see, maybe doing So What in 5 would be a challenge then . . . I don't either like the 3 + 2 (it all sounds too much like Take Five) . . or a very bad Balkan orchestra.

Yes it's me in the video clip, wearing my Jazz Black Armani shirt smile
----------------------------------------------
You do it like this (switch to Full . . choose the icon with the blue screen - fifth from the left):

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Btw. How do you end up on Turkish tv?

Page 193 of 341 1 2 191 192 193 194 195 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission