Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2018568 - 01/21/13 07:05 PM The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this?
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Currently I am teaching our son to play the scales and teaching him how many sharps and flats each scale has.

It was during one of these sessions that I realized that if you start with C (C major scale has no sharps/flats) and move 7 steps up it takes you to G and the G major scale has one sharp. If you go another 7 steps you land at D and D major has two sharps... This pattern works all the way up. And it even works in reverse, if you go 7 steps down from C it takes you to F and F major has one flat, another 7 steps takes you to Bb and Bb major has two flats. This pattern works all the way down too. Does anybody know why it works out this way???

I am very curious to learn more about this interesting side of music theory so any inputs are very welcome!

Edited by Amaruk (01/21/13 07:11 PM)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2018578 - 01/21/13 07:26 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
you answered your own question in the title of your post: magic.
plain and simple musical sorcery, someone was trying to keep it from you, but you found out and will now be accepted into elite musical circles, well done sir.

Could you just run it by me again?

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#2018589 - 01/21/13 07:39 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Circle of "Fifths" ---
A perfect fifth has 7 half steps (or 8 if you count the starting note).

Not much of a mystery here. Think of the Perfect Fifth to keep this simple. Otherwise, we'd have to rename this to the "Circle of 7 Half Steps"

#2018595 - 01/21/13 07:56 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And whats so wrong with the "magic circle of 7 half steps?" it sounds so mysterious and clever at the same time.lol

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#2018600 - 01/21/13 08:00 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: jazzwee]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzwee
Circle of "Fifths" ---
A perfect fifth has 7 half steps (or 8 if you count the starting note).

Not much of a mystery here. Think of the Perfect Fifth to keep this simple. Otherwise, we'd have to rename this to the "Circle of 7 Half Steps"

Great! Thanks for explaining this JazzWee!

Edited by Amaruk (01/21/13 08:01 PM)

#2018604 - 01/21/13 08:05 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rostosky... too funny! smile Sounds like something from Stonehenge... Perhaps that is what Stonhenge was all about; Music Teory!

#2018609 - 01/21/13 08:21 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Now that you mention it, it does sound like some sort of "morris dance" can you believe that actually still goes on here?

"stupid noise of the week" or "morris dance " starts at approx 29 secs in...

In this clip they are using the "magic circle of 6 quarter steps" so it may be slightly off topic, but here it is anyways..

#2018676 - 01/21/13 10:48 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
First I thought you were talking about seventh chords, the magic of them. Maybe the magic of them is that they are the quickest way to add some extra "color" to your chords. Besides, they are a sort of a bridge between major chords, when shifting from one chord to the next.

Edited by Pianotehead (01/21/13 10:50 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2018695 - 01/21/13 11:33 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Actually, the first time I read it I thought it was really MAGIC. Amaruk said move 7 steps.

Well -- I had to think about that. Moving seven SCALE steps will always bring you back to the same note. C to C. laugh

And then it dawned on me -- CHROMATIC steps (half steps).

Sorry to kill the magic laugh

#2018754 - 01/22/13 02:36 AM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY

#2018766 - 01/22/13 03:05 AM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
The perfect fifth interval represents a vibration frequency ratio of 3:2. With a tempered piano (where the frequency ratio of every half step is exactly the same) the perfect fifth is impossible.

The frequency ratio between the upper and lower note of the octave interval is 2:1 (you actually double the frequency by going one octave up). There are 12 half steps in one octave. Therefore the frequency ratio of the half step must be the 12th root of 2 which is approximately 1.0594631 . The fifth interval on the piano is the 12th root of 2 in the seventh power. This makes 1.4983071 - very close to, but not exactly 3:2.

The "magic" actually comes from the fact that you have to raise the 12th root of 12 to the power of seven to get as close as possible to the perfect ratio 3:2.

Simple, isn't it?

#2018767 - 01/22/13 03:06 AM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
Brian Lucas Online   content
500 Post Club Member

"Magical Circle of Seven Half Steps" I like it! Let's start a petition.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#2018794 - 01/22/13 04:12 AM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
The first note or fundamental in the harmonic series has a fixed wavelength. The second note in the series, or first harmonic, has a 2:1 relationship with it. This is the octave. The next step has a 3:1 relationship this is an octave and a half, to the dominant, and is equivalent to 3:2. Because these notes are so close in their relationship, even though they're an octave and a fifth apart in distance, the scale based on them is only out by one accidental.

Conversely, C to C#, despite being adjacent on the keyboard differs by seven accidentals.

#2018816 - 01/22/13 05:42 AM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
Jean-Luc Offline

Loc: France
A major diatonic scale is made of two similar tetrachords tied together by a whole steps (a tetrachord is a group of four notes separated by a set of fixed intervals).

So, if you start on C you have:
[C-ws-D-ws-E-hs-F]-ws-[G-ws-A-ws-B-hs-C] (ws = whole step, hs = half step)

As you can see, the second tetrachord (starting on G) is structurally similar to the one starting on C (same interval arrangement)

This has for consequence that you can use this tetrachord as it is to start a new scale (so starting on the fifth degree of the scale, 7 half steps away from your original tonic):

[G-ws-A-ws-B-hs-C]-ws-[D-ws-E-hs-F-ws-G]

But as you can see, if you add the second tetrachord, there is a problem with the ws/hs arrangement and you have to raise the seventh degree by a half step to correct it

[G-ws-A-ws-B-hs-C]-ws-[D-ws-E-ws-F#-hs-G]

Now, the second tetrachord of this new scale (starting on D), can be used as a starting point for the D Major Diatonic scale

[D-ws-E-ws-F#-hs-G]-ws-[A-ws-B-hs-C-ws-D]

As you can see, you will once again have to sharpen the seven degree to comply with the interval rules of the major diatonic scale. This goes on until you reach the c# Major Diatonic scale where you run out of sharps.

The flat sides of things is fairly similar and I am sure you will be able to build it on yourself smile

Sorry if the explanations aren't crystal clear, English isn't my native language (as you probably noticed wink )

Edited by Jean-Luc (01/22/13 04:21 PM)

Jean-Luc

#2018873 - 01/22/13 09:01 AM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I wish the kids I help out with theory for choir could reach these sort of conclusions wink

Kawai K3

#2018909 - 01/22/13 10:05 AM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
chopin_r_us Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
By the way, if you use perfectly tuned steps by the time you get to B# you're higher than C by a quarter tone!

#2019001 - 01/22/13 12:34 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Jean-Luc, tes explanations me paraissent claires comme cristale. Merçi pour avoir donné l'explanation dont je cherchais les mots.

[Jean-Luc, your explanations seem to me to be clear as crystal. Thank you for having given the explanation for which I was seeking the words.]

/s/ PianoElève quatre-vingt huit smile

Edited by PianoStudent88 (01/22/13 01:00 PM)
Edit Reason: mistaken conjugation

#2019023 - 01/22/13 01:07 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Circle of fourths for flats...

Being etheral after death, ghosts can fly.

#2019069 - 01/22/13 01:52 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
Jean-Luc Offline

@ PianoStudent88: Ton français est excellent smile

[@ PianoStudent88: your French is excellent :)]

Jean-Luc

#2019087 - 01/22/13 02:35 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I actually assumed Maine was in France. Had to look it up. Apparently it -was- in France! (Former colony)

#2019092 - 01/22/13 02:50 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
Now try taking a diminished chord and learn how all the tones can be leading [ up or down by half step]....then try all the enharmonics applied in the same dim. chord and do the math.I've never done the math here myself.

rada

#2019737 - 01/23/13 04:19 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Rostosky]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: Rostosky
Now that you mention it, it does sound like some sort of "morris dance" can you believe that actually still goes on here?

"stupid noise of the week" or "morris dance " starts at approx 29 secs in...

In this clip they are using the "magic circle of 6 quarter steps" so it may be slightly off topic, but here it is anyways..

Rostosky, Did you not know that you can't be a Morris Dancer if you've been circumcised? PM me if you don't know why.
-

#2019850 - 01/23/13 06:57 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Fortunately I am intacticus, but as I never ever want to even see or hear, let alone be a morris dancer.... Pm is on its way...

#2020095 - 01/24/13 04:00 AM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Rostosky]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: Rostosky
Fortunately I am intacticus, but as I never ever want to even see or hear, let alone be a morris dancer.... Pm is on its way...

PM answered.
-

#2020405 - 01/24/13 02:31 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Amaruk]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pmed answer so hilarious, I will use it in as many situations as possible.

#2020550 - 01/24/13 04:33 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: Brian Lucas]
hamlet cat Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert
Originally Posted By: Brian Lucas

It does have a very appealing ring to it. Perhaps more music students will be driven to piano given the cool name. Draw towards it. Like magic if you will.

#2020582 - 01/24/13 05:10 PM Re: The magic of 7 in the circle of fifths.Why is it like this? [Re: hamlet cat]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ron88
Originally Posted By: Brian Lucas

It does have a very appealing ring to it. Perhaps more music students will be driven to piano given the cool name. Draw towards it. Like magic if you will.

It is magic! There's lot's of magic in music notation, there's no end to it, it is wonderous. That is why music can heal the savage breast.

Just one thing, though, the magic of the "circle of seven half steps" is not particular to the piano, it casts its spell on all musical instruments.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
10/21/14 10:58 AM
Who's Online
146 registered (ajames, accordeur, anamnesis, 38 invisible), 1744 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158400 Topics
2326066 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission