Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2018569 - 01/21/13 07:10 PM Weber and co. Piano question
Tjpp Offline

Well, I had started on the digital forums, looking at some of the digitals and the NU1, but we were still tossing around the idea of an acoustic. Well a neighbor caught wind that we were looking for a piano for our son and offered us theirs. Was very kind of them, wonderful people, their kids are grown and aren't using it anymore and the wife, herself learned on it. So it's a weber and co. Ny, upright, quite big. Wasn't quite what we were thinking but would be a great start! So we are looking for a mover to move it down the street to us. We are going to have a local technician look at it too. I was trying to do some research but can't find much or many photos of weber pianos. It is tall upright, ribbon mahogany or rosewood, 3 panels on the front face, 2 part hinged keyboard cover. I can't figure the age, but has to be 50 years old or could be 80 or 90 years old. I am hoping it is a good starting point? Any more info or photos on the company...

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2018607 - 01/21/13 08:13 PM Re: Weber and co. Piano question [Re: Tjpp]
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
If you do a Google image search, you might find something similar. From your description of the case, it sounds like the piano may be over 100 years old...probably older. If you lift the lid, you'll find a serial number printed or stamped somewhere near the tuning pins. It would be a 4-, 5- or 6-digit number. If you post that here, someone can tell you the age. Can you post a photo or photos here?

I suggest having the technician check the piano BEFORE you move it. It would be a shame to move it, only to find it needs lots of work to bring it up to proper playing condition. If your son is just beginning to learn how to play, it is VERY important the piano plays properly and is tuned to the proper pitch. Nothing discourages a beginner more than a piano that is difficult to play.

When new, the older Webers were a good quality instrument...but a century or more later?...your piano technician will be able to tell you. smile
Richfield Springs, New York

#2018611 - 01/21/13 08:25 PM Re: Weber and co. Piano question [Re: Tjpp]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Weber was one of the companies that tried to compete with Steinway around 1900. They became part of the Aeolian conglomerate, and when they contracted with Steinway to provide pianos to put their players (Pianola and DuoArt) into, they agreed not to compete any longer. So older can be better.

Age will have taken its toll, but if there is nothing major wrong with it, you might be able to have it fixed up for less than a comparable new piano would cost. You probably would not be able to sell it for more than you would pay for the repairs, but it could last until your son moves out, with no need to upgrade.

It would be a better starting point than an old Steinway upright.

#2018646 - 01/21/13 09:40 PM Re: Weber and co. Piano question [Re: Tjpp]
Tjpp Offline

Thank you for the replies so far. I would normally have a tech look at it first but it felt awful to say, thanks for the offer but I have to check it out first! But of course, I am a little worried! My son went with us sunday to look at it and hopped on and played viva la vida by coldplay (one of his faves) and said it felt ok. (Surprisingly, for an 8 year old, he has good feedback on the piano touches, both digital and acoustics that we were testing out). So that I thought was good, but it was older than I thought. We did call a well regarded piano tech in our area, so we are hoping to get him to see it soon. I didn't get the serial number but I will try to get over there and get it with a photo. Hoping that's a solid starting point! Just was so surprised I couldn't find more info or photos, I usually can research and get info!

#2018689 - 01/21/13 11:05 PM Re: Weber and co. Piano question [Re: Tjpp]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
I had a Weber 7' grand from the Aeolian era, and it withstood years of heavy practice. I did beat it to a pulp though! It was a nice instrument with a good sound. Professional grade but maybe a tiny notch below the big names.

www.josephkubera.com

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai MP11 black key noise?
by rungabic
Today at 11:35 AM
Rachmaninoff 2 and broken strings
by Anne'sson
Today at 09:31 AM
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
Today at 08:55 AM
What happpened to the "edit" button?
by jim ialeggio
Today at 07:38 AM
AMusA reports?
by Badinage
Today at 07:03 AM
Who's Online
137 registered (ajames, accordeur, ando, AndresD, Anne'sson, 36 invisible), 1628 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157690 Topics
2316220 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission