Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2018667 - 01/21/13 10:18 PM What artists and composers are in your iTunes?
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

What artists and composers are in your iTunes?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2018669 - 01/21/13 10:27 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Most of them are in there by accident. grin

Like, when I click on some music thing just to see what it is, often it winds up in iTunes.

And most of the rest is my own recordings. That's garbage too. ha

#2018872 - 01/22/13 09:00 AM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Everything from Bach cello suites to Rite of Spring with Gergiev and the complete Scriabin Preludes etc etc etc. A lot of orchestral stuff and string quartets. (I think in a past life I was a string player)

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2019026 - 01/22/13 01:14 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: Pogorelich.]
outo Offline

Loc: Finland
3544 classical pieces (which is not quite right, because iTunes counts separate movements as pieces). Mostly just solo piano and concertos. And I still have a lot on my wish list...and new composers to still discover... grin

I sometimes wonder how many "classical" piano pieces have been published and how many have been recorded...Hundreds of thousands...more? confused

#2019089 - 01/22/13 02:40 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Oh c'mon, you guys only listen to classical?

#2019093 - 01/22/13 02:51 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
outo Offline

Loc: Finland
Well, I am quite hooked on piano music at the moment. But of course I also have a few thousand other pieces. Funk, jazz funk and soul mostly. Some old metal and rap too...I think my latest non classical purchase was Incognito's latest album.

Edited by outo (01/22/13 03:22 PM)

#2019103 - 01/22/13 03:05 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Joel_W

Classical and Broadway, yes.

But, wait! You want the whole list?

In my case, I use iTunes only for my iPod, and I use my iPod only at the gym and when out walking. So, I don't listen to much classical in those circumstances because the ambient outdoor noise drowns out quieter passages of classical. That's why there's a lot of Broadway and some "crossover" performers on my iPod.

#2019109 - 01/22/13 03:18 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Mostly classical stuff.

Music is my best friend.

#2019149 - 01/22/13 04:13 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

I find that as I age, I become more selective in terms of the music I subject myself to voluntarily ..... cool

#2019157 - 01/22/13 04:34 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
Gatsbee13 Offline

Loc: So Cal
Love the direction apple is going with iTunes.. Especially "mastered for iTunes".. Just wish I had a worthy sound system of playing it all.

I have quite a bit of classical on my iphone.. Bach cello suites played by yo-yo ma, Rach piano concertos played by richter and lang lang, some stuff by Ralph Vaughn Williams ( including my fav piece by him, the lark ascending played by Sarah Chang). The remainder are select pieces by chopin, Liszt, Schumann, Beethoven, Mozart, etc. Also got the ultimate piano classics for a few bucks on iTunes.. Excellent album btw .

#2019159 - 01/22/13 04:40 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
I have over 640 artists on my iTunes and over 300 composers (listed). Do you want to know all of them?

#2019172 - 01/22/13 05:11 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
In a word, yes. Only classical on my iPod anyway, which is all that iTunes is for, in my case. Composers on my iPod at the moment include Wolf, Mahler, R.Strauss, Schubert, Berg, Webern, Obradors, Nin, Montsalvatge, Faure ... etc etc etc ... how long do you have? I only listen to my iPod on the train. If I wanted to hear pop or rock, all I'd have to do is turn mine off and I could hear stuff coming through other people's too-loud earphones. Unfortunately.

#2019192 - 01/22/13 05:46 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
leemax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: pacific nw, usa
I have 1,066 albums, probably 250 or so artists, and 14,970 songs. Lots of different genres: Classical, Rock, Folk, World, Latin, Jazz, New Age, Traditional, Soundtrack, Other, Acoustic, Alternative, Baroque, Blues, Gospel, Classic Rock, Indie Rock, Pop, Reggae, R&B, and some other stuff that doesn't seem to have a category.

I definitely do NOT listen to only one genre!

#2019229 - 01/22/13 06:44 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

I don't have my own computer (though I might get one soon), so I don't have iTunes - actually, I don't know what they are cry - but I can tell you what I listen to on my cassette tape Walkman (which is the precursor of the MP3 player): operatic arias by Puccini, Bellini and Verdi, the odd complete opera like Mozart's Don Giovanni, Lieder by Schubert, Mendelssohn, Wolf and R. Strauss, Chopin and Mozart piano concertos, Sibelius and Nielsen symphonies, Smetana's Má Vlast, miscellaneous piano music (mostly Spanish - Albéniz and Granados).....

I do actually have one non-classical tape which I recorded myself from various sources, or rather, half of one, because I couldn't find enough pop music I like to fill up the ninety-minute tape. Starting with Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water and John Lennon's Imagine, Bob Dylan's Blowin' in the Wind, then a Bee Gees number, an Abba song, Elton John's Candle in the Wind (recorded live at Princess Diana's funeral service on 9/6/97), a Beatles song or two, a couple of John Denver songs......and that's about it. So, I filled up the rest of the tape with some lovely folk songs (Kate Rusby, Bill Jones etc) and Schubert Lieder sung by Peter Schreier with guitar accompaniment (which works very well) played by Konrad Ragossnig, and more folk music sung by Andreas Scholl. And the final song is Schubert's An die Musik - as a piano solo played by Gerald Moore at his farewell concert.

#2019236 - 01/22/13 06:51 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: bennevis]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis
And the final song is Schubert's An die Musik - as a piano solo played by Gerald Moore at his farewell concert.
ah... smile

#2019239 - 01/22/13 06:53 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

By the way, I only use iTunes as the vehicle for transferring (my) CDs to my iPod. I don't buy any tracks/songs/whatever-they-call-them online.

#2019240 - 01/22/13 06:54 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Well, this (I mean the Pianist Corner) is a classical music forum... smile

Music is my best friend.

#2019349 - 01/22/13 10:18 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Lotta Anglican Church music fills my iTunes. (Below is only the beginning of the alphabet.)

(Some piano, pop, opera and Broadway too!)

#2019355 - 01/22/13 10:38 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: ChopinAddict]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

Well, this (I mean the Pianist Corner) is a classical music forum... smile

Don't get me wrong; classical is my favorite genre. But I've got Zeppelin, Sinatra, Ray Charles, MJ, Oscar Peterson and so much more in my library. There's a lot of good music out that isn't classical.

#2019361 - 01/22/13 10:51 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
DanS Offline

Tons of classical from Bach to Davidovsky, but also...

Beatles, Bluetech, Charles Magnante, Cypress Hill, ELP, Entheogenic, Fela Kuti, Flamming lips, Zappa, Gift Culture, Grant Green, Orb, Zeppelin, Floyd, Ozric Tentacles...the list goes on and on...

Lots of soundtracks, too.

Edited by DanS (01/22/13 10:51 PM)

#2019489 - 01/23/13 07:38 AM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
I thought it was asked only in regards to classical.

Well I also have ton of Zeppelin, Floyd, some unknown soul/funk bands, a LOT of jazz (Evans and Jarrett I love), and some mixed soundtracks.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2019848 - 01/23/13 06:52 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: JoelW]
fledgehog Offline

Loc: West Hartford, CT
I have over 600gb of music -- you name it, I probably have it or something like it. My tastes range from Mozart's viola quintets to Ligeti's choral music to The Mighty Mighty Bosstones to Rush to Tower of Power to Bob Dylan to Freddie Hubbard...the list goes on and on...

#2019901 - 01/23/13 08:14 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: Pogorelich.]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
Well I also have ton of Zeppelin...

The last few days I've become obsessed with certain aspects of "Kashmir"...

-J

#2019904 - 01/23/13 08:17 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: fledgehog]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Way too many to count. Although, I can name the artists/groups that personally inspire me the most:

-Alicia de Larrocha
-Carlos Kleiber
-Cecilia Bartoli
-Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau
-Emerson String Quartet
-Jacqueline du Pre
-Jascha Heifetz
-John Ogdon
-Kamer Youth Choir
-Lee Luvisi
-Marc-Andre Hamelin
-Mstislav Rostropovich
-Orchestra Revolutionare et Romantique and John Eliot Gardiner
-Shura Cherkassky
-The Sixteen and Harry Christophers
-Tallis Scholars and Peter Phillips
-Thomas Allen
-Walter Primrose

Originally Posted By: fledgehog
...Rush...

RUSH!! laugh My favorite classic rock band. I saw them live in 2011 (they're kind of old, but they can still jam)

#2019920 - 01/23/13 08:58 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: fledgehog]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: fledgehog
I have over 600gb of music....

Does anybody here really understand how these little computer things we have can store so much stuff?

I mean really really understand? grin

I mean, such complex and extensive data for even the simplest musical phrase, and it's all in there....

BTW, I'm not really doubting that there are people here who do understand it. smile

But I don't, not really, despite thousands of advanced science courses. Trouble is, science courses in the 19th century didn't include this stuff. ha

#2019949 - 01/23/13 09:46 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

Trouble is, science courses in the 19th century didn't include this stuff. ha

Do you mean the 20th century (this is the 21st century)? smile

Music is my best friend.

#2019974 - 01/23/13 10:48 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: ChopinAddict]
Mark_C Offline

No, I knowingly said what I meant. grin

#2020636 - 01/24/13 06:19 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

No, I knowingly said what I meant. grin

OK, I know what you mean now. smile I thought you were referring it to yourself based on what you had just said in the previous sentence, and I thought you look young for somebody who lived in the 19th century. wink

Music is my best friend.

#2020652 - 01/24/13 06:49 PM Re: What artists and composers are in your iTunes? [Re: ChopinAddict]
Mark_C Offline

....I thought you were referring it to yourself based on what you had just said in the previous sentence....

I was. ha

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (accordeur, 36251, 50 invisible), 1796 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153548 Topics
2250367 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
04/18/14 02:46 PM
Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor
by noobpianist90
04/18/14 01:51 PM
A new performance experience... Need advice.
by Svenno
04/18/14 01:46 PM
Thoughts on the Yamaha P-255
by voxpops
04/18/14 01:17 PM
Piano Learning Myths...
by evamar
04/18/14 12:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission