2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 237 of 370 1 2 235 236 237 238 239 369 370
Y
Y

This thread brings back so many memories, i just have to add to...Loved Fantasia! And its Italian relative "allegro non troppo"...I was fortunate to have had a wonderful music teacher in school that exposed me to a wide variety of music.

Also, Griffin ...I too have some Prince stories...I worked on some of his music videos in the nineties! As well as the Sounds of Blackness...out at Paisley Park. Working on the Prince stuff made me appreciate him more even when I was told if I made eye contact with him I would be fired!

Here is a favorite from Allegro Non Troppo:

Bob

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good day all!

Awesome Prince guys. I like his music quite a bit..

Here's another I could listen to hours of...

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Your Uncle

This thread brings back so many memories, i just have to add to...Loved Fantasia! And its Italian relative "allegro non troppo"...I was fortunate to have had a wonderful music teacher in school that exposed me to a wide variety of music.

Also, Griffin ...I too have some Prince stories...I worked on some of his music videos in the nineties! As well as the Sounds of Blackness...out at Paisley Park. Working on the Prince stuff made me appreciate him more even when I was told if I made eye contact with him I would be fired!

Here is a favorite from Allegro Non Troppo:

Bob

Welcome to the thread Homey!! You are the first Minneapolis connection I've had on this wonderful thread. Thanks for sharing the Paisley Park stories. I haven't heard the Sounds of Blackness in years. They are amazing! I happen to work at the Capri Theater where Prince performed and eventually led to his first big recording contract. I'll be sending you a private message later today!

I loved the Allegro Non Troppo. I hope you'll continue posting. You'll find a very receptive bunch of folks here. I'm looking forward to chatting with you further.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Hi Becca! I'm looking forward to listening to your post shortly when I can get to my PC. I am not allowed to see it on my mobile device. It's so good to see you back here, I'm still having to deal with this obnoxious cough and have had to slow my pace a bit until it eases up.

I'll check in later.

Carl

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Griff! I hope your feeling better soon! Have you tried boiling a bit of ginger root and making tea out of it? It might help if you can stand to drink it. smile

Love the Fantasia and the Allegro non Troppo. Brings back memories! Good stuff! LOL

Welcome to our "serious" thread Bob. smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Thank you, Griffin, for the Prince. I had planned to go through the earlier pages at some stage but they're growing all the time and it's looking less achievable.

Was it not just recently we hit one million views? Do my eyes deceive me? Are we at nearly at one and a quarter million? Kudos, Rossy, for what you've done!

Welcome, Bob. Thank you for the moon toon.

I've been listening to the 'hands of silk' recently, Rubén González. A bit of Latin for Friday night.

Richard
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Bob, (welcome!) why were you not allowed to look at him? How odd he was, eh? Was that the same time he didn't have a name, only a symbol ?

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

Y
Y
Originally Posted by piano joy
Bob, (welcome!) why were you not allowed to look at him? How odd he was, eh? Was that the same time he didn't have a name, only a symbol ?

Yes, symbol at that time..."the gold experience" album. I don't know about the eye contact thing...I had heard he was playing the diva because he didn't like his contract under Warner bros...but who knows? I've liked his music from the beginning but it was bizarre...we would sit around for hours (like 12!) waiting for him to "feel it" and perform...many 18 hour days.

Bob

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Thanks!
I wonder how that would fly at my work.

"boss, sorry, don't call me by my name and don't look at me. And I'll start work when I FEEL like it!"

ha ha!
Oh, to be self employed....

(I'd post "Cream" if I could find it!)

Last edited by piano joy; 04/20/12 04:23 PM.

-the Beatles

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Wow, you guys are posting terrific stuff!

Here's a Floyd with a little twist.

Sandy

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by KeysAngler
... here's one of my favorite guitar solos by Prince ...

I just watched this. I also had no idea Prince could play like that. The other thing that struck me is that overall the band and the song sounded good. In my experience it's pretty rare to see an all star line up with 'too many'people on stage and too many guitars that sounds any good.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Speaking of Guitar Solos . . .

V
V
Originally Posted by Your Uncle
Originally Posted by piano joy

Yes, symbol at that time..."the gold experience" album. I don't know about the eye contact thing...I had heard he was playing the diva because he didn't like his contract under Warner bros...but who knows? I've liked his music from the beginning but it was bizarre...we would sit around for hours (like 12!) waiting for him to "feel it" and perform...many 18 hour days.

Bob

Yeah, (as reported at the time) Prince wanted more control over his music - not creative control (he had that) but publishing/ownership rights. Also, he wanted to release allot more music than just an album a year. WB, obviously had issues about saturating the market with too much Prince music....but as us fans would argue...there's never enough Prince music. More, more, more.
Thanks for the Prince anecdotes. Nice to know there lots of love for Prince here at PW. The Prince fans sites on the web are aweful places to be. Looking forward to his shows next month.

Becca, loved that acoustic version of MM's Last Day on Earth.
Sandy, Great version of Mother with Sinead O'Conner. I am just making my way through her latest album. Missed out on seeing Roger Waters The Wall concert a couple of months ago here in Sydney.

Would like to share a cover version Piano Joy reminded me of. This was the way i was introduced to CCR's music. I can listen to both not feel like i have heard the same song twice. I love a good cover that exposes the song for what it is....a great song. Like Tori Amos' version of Smell's like Teen Spirit, or Frente's Bizzare Love Triangle (not to take anything away from the originals).

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Fitting title for upcoming deluge tomorrow and Monday. I hope this hasn't been posted, I tried a search but I haven't quite gotten the hang of the search feature. blush

Sandy

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
PPP, did you learn nothing from the drumming discussion?
<bangs head despondently on desk and sobs>

vegasE, I'm really looking forward to more of your posts! I wrote earlier about creative input in cover versions. This is a very fine example. I'm not sure the mood created by the music was entirely in keeping with the mood of the lyric in this particular instance but otherwise excellent!

Sandy, this is both a complement to your recent posts and a compliment returned for them!

Mick Hanly wrote this next song, Hal Ketchum made it a hit. It's great to see them together. It's currently in my own (guitar) repertoire and is easy listening.

Richard
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Thanks, Richard! I liked the Hanly song a lot. Nice harmonies!

Sandy

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
HAL KETCHUM!!!!!! one of my faves, you just opened the door for this one and, sorry for diverting from Prince for a moment.
I am no longer much of a country music fan, but I loved it in the late 80's/early 90's and Hal Ketchum was an under-appreciated (I thought), terrific songwriter.
I got to see him once, up close and personal and he had the audience in the palm of his hand. (well, maybe just me)
This is a simple little melody, but the lyrics rock!

Love don't hang out in a grand hotel
Got no satin sheets, got no servant's bell
Ain't in Bel Air on some big old yacht
Ain't in a beach house on Monserrat

There's a house on the edge of town
It's a little old, it's a little run down
Full of laughter and tears and toys
Crazy things only love enjoys

CHORUS

I know where love lives
I know where love lives
She's sitting on the back step in the evening air
With sea green eyes and her chesnut hair
You keep your mansions of gold, buddy,
I don't care
Cause I know where love lives

You keep all that your fortune brings
All your fancy words, all your precious things
No matter what all your money buys
It's in the arms of love
That true treasure lies

** And Richard, everyone has different tastes, PPP likes "raw", it's all good!
**vegasE, wow, interesting version of "Bad Moon"- barely recognize it.

-the Beatles

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Neat song, Piano Joy! I'm not much of a country fan but once in awhile I stumble across something I really like. I think someone here posted this singer but maybe not this song:

Sandy

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
And now, back to Prince:

Sandy

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
Hi all, loving the Prince. Yes, the guitar was a revelation.

Ah, covers... Here's Stina Nordenstam with her cover of a Doors song, from her album of covers.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
Page 237 of 370 1 2 235 236 237 238 239 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission