2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
...Nowadays I'm spending most of my time being a member of the sandwich generation (taking care of two kids who are busy with homework and extracurriculars, not to mention dealing with my 93 year old father in law who has Alzheimer's) and not nearly enough time goofing off on the internet or--worse yet--playing piano.

I think I understand - my 96 year old mother lives with us - was born during WWI - fortunately, so far she has most of her health and wits about her - spends most of her time watching pro football (Ravens) and major league baseball (Nationals) and cheering (or swearing) vociferously at her big screen TV - she's going so well I think I may be in a nursing home before she is smile - Thinks my piano playing is "nice", but then she's 95% deaf laugh

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, I've my piece ready to do a proper record. I don't have practicing in the last weeks (my mother in law died in the 1st day of the year, and I've been giving some support to my sad wife), but I think I can do a record in time to participate in this recital.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Hi Les!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If not for these recitals I would not be tuning my piano even half as often as I do. Here I go again....

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Well, I've my piece ready to do a proper record. I don't have practicing in the last weeks (my mother in law died in the 1st day of the year, and I've been giving some support to my sad wife), but I think I can do a record in time to participate in this recital.

Condolences Carlos - my mother-in-law passed away on 2 January last year - it is a sad way to begin a new year.
I hope you manage to record a piece, it is always a pleasure to listen to your music

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by BenPiano
I've been consumed now for 3 nights with a new song that just dropped out of the sky into my lap - (I honestly didn't ask for this.) I had to learn to sing and play while discovering that it's not as hard as it seems - and that my vocal range just ain't all I thought it was. (or used to be) So it really is harder than it seems. laugh

Not a lot of time to learn how to sing, tie up the loose transitions, fill in the lyrics, and figure out how to record it.

And my piano needs to be tuned. tired

Luckily I have 4 pieces (not songs smokin) on reserve ready to be recorded - if I get a chance to - or a tuned piano - or a sore throat. (ahem)

This should be good.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hawgdriver
This should be good.

Many thanks, but I would strongly recommend a significantly low expectation for this. whome

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by BenPiano
Originally Posted by hawgdriver
This should be good.

Many thanks, but I would strongly recommend a significantly low expectation for this. whome

So noted ...

... scribbles, BenPiano says expect more of the same ...

... Oops, that wasn't for public consumption!

wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
Hi Les!

Cathy

Hi Cathy....been a long time, I need to spend a little more time over here.... smile

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm working on a beautiful tune from the Broadway stage but I keep changing the arrangement (I have a nasty habit of doing this), which is not highly conducive to the goal of getting it recorded...

If in the end (or "at the end of the day" as the politicians always say) I'm not satisfied - either with the arrangement or the recording or both - I may submit a lively and lovely Christmas song that I started work on before then but just got a good take on - late for this season, yes (or way early for next), but what can one do? "Kick the can down the road" to the next Recital?

Trap

Edited to add: GO RAVENS! smile

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 01/21/13 07:52 AM.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I recorded my piece yesterday, but there were a few misses. Therefore I keep this recording just as backup and hope to be able to make a better one before the deadline.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think I've got my piece in good enough shape to start attempting a recording... *except* it's not fully memorized yet, and the danged thing is 6 pages long. Aarrggh.

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Your post, Ganddalf motivated me to give this a try. I realize now I have a lot more work to do then I had thought. Perhaps I should have started sooner, but thankfully there is still time.

The Red dot syndrome is upon me. This is the little regimen/game I play with myself that seems to help. Keeping in mind, I have always been my own worst enemy. Basically, I try to put myself in the shoes of the pro's.

Conversation with Self:
"C'mon Greener, you can do better then that. What are you, an amateur or a professional?"

Answer: amateur

"Yes, I know. But I HATE that answer"

"Well then, if you HATE that answer, perhaps you should start acting more professional"

OK, take 25 ...

"There we have it, good enough to submit. After all I am only an amateur" smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Meanwhile, over in the adjoining recording studio...

Peter Professional bangs his highly skilled but fragile and delicate hands down on the keyboard in utter exasperation after the 25th take, and after cursing in gutter-like terms that would make a truck driver or lumberjack blush (is that possible?) says to himself:

"For crying out loud Pete you moron, are you a high paid, world famous professional or a freakin' amateur?"

To which he answers: "A professional, of course, you jerk-face!"

In response to which he says: "Yes, I Know - and I LOVE that answer. And don't you forget it, you lowlife!"

And then replies: "Well, if you love it then stop acting like a rank amateur and start playing like the arrogant and egotistical pro you are - this studio recording time is expensive!"

25 takes later: "Finally, a take even I can live with - print it - it'll sell like hot funnel cake."

Moral of the story: Pianists of every level wrestle with the red dot - some "opponents" are bigger than others and some matches just cost more than others...

A
A
The only real difference between professional and amateur is whether you earn a living with it. Has little to do with skill or talent. But if you're serious about your hobby, keep practising! laugh

(Why am I writing this, instead of practicing for the recital?)

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The only difference between a amateur and a professional is...

An amateur practices until he gets it right....

A professional practices until he can't do it wrong.

(or something like that...) smile

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm out of luck ... I caught a bad flu and I could not record anything this week-end ... frown

I think it's the first time I'm almost 4 weeks without playing... Are we nearing at the end of the world??????

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Ouch, I should really take part in this one... I think I have 2 or 3 tunes that I might try to record... actually I wanted to finish book 2 first but I still have two songs and the Canon in D to do eek

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by jazzwee
The only difference between a amateur and a professional is...

An amateur practices until he gets it right....

A professional practices until he can't do it wrong.

(or something like that...) smile

That's it exactly! I love it, Jazzwee...BTW, I just started taking a Jazz improv class at our town's comm. college. We're using Aebersold play-alongs. Pressure is on not to do it wrong.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Oh dear, I've not got anything ready for this recital.The last couple of months have just been wall to wall Mendelssohn.The only other things I've picked at recently have been Bach's Allemande from French suite no 4 and a nice arrangement of As if we never said goodbye from Sunset Boulevard.I might get one of them in by the deadline.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission