Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2018994 - 01/22/13 12:24 PM A Steinway Pronounced Dead
RestorerPhil Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
The scenario

Church choir room piano
Steinway 45 from 1966
First time I tuned it: 1983 ( and it was bad then)

As I was tuning the piano yesterday, I told the music minister that I would send back a letter regarding possible major work on the piano. When I said that, I was actually thinking of restringing, new hammers, key bushings, damper & tail felt, etc. - a pretty thorough internal rebuild with the option offered to refinish (and maybe the option to break the other work down into two phases).

After I reviewed my customer card notations, then notations written on the piano top beam by other tuners, the reputation of Steinway uprights in general, and my own accumulated experience with them, I had to do a 180. Deep down I had to accept with consternation that a Steinway, a STEINWAY!, probably was not worth the rebuild in this situation: The key issue was that it would need a new sound board and that this would push the cost beyond practicality. On the 45 model, with its blocked-off, and fairly small sound board, and with its tenor end of the treble bridge so close to the bottom of the piano frame, I could not see attempting to doctor the board some way. In fact, I am not sure that even a new board in that design would have the richness of even a Yamaha P22, and surely not a new U-1, U-3, or a Walter 1500, or a Kawai K-5, K-8, etc.

So...
The letter is going out, saying, with explanation of the details, "Regretfully, you should replace it."

Comments?

Edited by RestorerPhil (01/22/13 06:12 PM)
Rebuilding & Restoration

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2019009 - 01/22/13 12:49 PM Re: A Steinway Pronounced Dead [Re: RestorerPhil]
Mark Cerisano, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Their grands are amazing. I don't know why the uprights don't have the same reputation.

#2019098 - 01/22/13 02:59 PM Re: A Steinway Pronounced Dead [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
Dan Casdorph Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
"Regrettfully, you should replace it."

I've seen this in new Steinway verticals.
All pianos are bald ones.

#2019100 - 01/22/13 03:01 PM Re: A Steinway Pronounced Dead [Re: Mark Cerisano, RPT]
pianolive Offline

Loc: Europe
The K upright is a fine instrument.
Some manufacturers make very good uprights, like the Grotrian 124, but a lot cheaper than Steinway.
I don't think the Steinway uprights are not actually popular, they are well build, but compaired to others they seem to be overpriced. The brand name is simply not enough.

#2019120 - 01/22/13 03:35 PM Re: A Steinway Pronounced Dead [Re: RestorerPhil]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
I am in process of restoring a K. It is a solid instrument.
It will be customized however, new belly and there is an easy solution for the end of the tenor bridge - shortened the lowest 5 notes and changed to bi-chords. The new scale looks great on spreadsheet.
If all goes well it will get a new drop in WNG action.
Hybrid block from Ron Nossaman.
These old Steinway's are worth restoring in my opinion.
Convincing the customer is another story.

#2019122 - 01/22/13 03:36 PM Re: A Steinway Pronounced Dead [Re: RestorerPhil]
Craig Hair Offline

Loc: Holyoke, MA
I'm looking at a repro Steinway brochure from 1888. The extra fancy 56" upright sold for $1,500. That same money could buy a model C. I have six Steinway upr. in my storage space and I have not been able to give them away. Now, if I had six Steinway grands I'd have no problem. My point is, can you imagine the profit margin on the uprights, just to have that name? Pure genius.

hampshirepiano.co
soundboardrecrown.com

Either do something worth the writing,
or write something worth the reading.
S. Clemens

#2019161 - 01/22/13 04:50 PM Re: A Steinway Pronounced Dead [Re: RestorerPhil]
Chris Leslie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
I think you probably are proposing to over-service this instrument and then pricing yourself out of a job and the life that the instrument deserves.

#2019271 - 01/22/13 07:46 PM Re: A Steinway Pronounced Dead [Re: Chris Leslie]
RestorerPhil Offline

I actually thought about suggesting less work, but then I reminded myself that this piano has been poor in tone and has been terrible to tune for the entire thirty years since I first "met" it. In other words, it must be one of those pianos that, as Dan Casdorph was indicating, could have been condemned even when it was new.

I think that the fast action and light hammers in the Steinway uprights can exaggerate the poor tone that comes from lack of down bearing. In this case you have a Steinway that sounds like a Kimball studio - the ones with the laminated boards - except it doesn't have the volume of one of those Kimballs.

It's a shame to see the great construction details and excellent materials in a fine brand name piano, and yet realize that its sound is no better than the Baldwin entry-level spinet that the same church has in another room in the church complex. New hammers? Sure, they could spend a $1K and more for that and still have a poor sound. New Strings? Well, yes, they would help a little. Re-design the tenor bridge and put in a new board? Well, of course, then it might really be a great piano. (It would be better to put that sort of effort into a K model, for sure!) The cost, however? It would be more than a new Walter 1500, more than a Yamaha U-3, and could approach the cost of a Mason & Hamlin 50. The music minister mentioned electronic keyboards in our conversation that day, so does that portend them spending big bucks on the Steinway?

This isn't a condemnation of all Steinway uprights (even though I have rarely seen a newer one that lived up to the deserved reputation of the grands), but this one model 45 has really been a dog. The other Steinway uprights which I have rebuilt came out well, even with no serious redesign or sound board replacement, but they were much older models and were larger.
Rebuilding & Restoration

#2019507 - 01/23/13 08:36 AM Steinway May Rise from the Dead! [Re: Chris Leslie]
RestorerPhil Offline

Okay, OKAY! So I am vacillating a bit. Maybe some Aussie Angst is getting the best of me, Chris.

My new approach to the church hinges on this paragraph from my letter:

Quote:
The work below is the first stage of a two-part plan to restore the piano. This work list will make some difference in sound. This first work is needed, regardless of whether you ever do phase two. The second phase would yield a dramatic change in tone and volume.

Basically, the overall letter tells them:
The replacement cost of a new Steinway 1098 Walnut which pianobuyer.com says is $27,600, the cost of the first repair phase, and the rough range of the total as a percentage of new cost (so as to allow for price changes, should that second phase be slow in coming.) The ultimate need for string and soundboard work is emphasized and left for phase two. They are free to decide to do it all at once, of course.

This may not raise this Steinway studio from the dead, but it leaves the choice of resurrection in their hands without making unrealistic promises. The only down side is that I have to deal with its tuning in the meantime.

Oh well, it's a livin'! Ain't it? (And dealing with ornery pianos is part of it.)
Rebuilding & Restoration

#2019938 - 01/23/13 09:23 PM Re: Steinway May Rise from the Dead! [Re: RestorerPhil]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Without being able to visit this particular Steinway, all I can say is that the design has proved satisfactory for many owners. That being the case, the biggest variable in Steinways is almost always the hammer voicing. Steinway hammers generally need to be voiced up, and different techniques for doing that can give a lot of different results.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sax to piano
by JazzMD
Today at 11:06 AM
Still having problems with my Kawai ES7
by musicman100
Today at 10:46 AM
ABF Recital FAQ and Guidelines
by wimpiano
Today at 10:03 AM
Did Bach’s wife write his finest works?
by CarlosCC
Today at 09:24 AM
Szanto Bach Prelude Fugue A minor
by bkthugs10214
Today at 09:13 AM
Who's Online
132 registered (ajames, Amo la musica, 0987654321, Alan_Dublin, 41 invisible), 1688 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76702 Members
42 Forums
158617 Topics
2329581 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission