Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
154 registered (ajames, accordeur, AmateurBob, 42 invisible), 1878 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Forum Stats
76977 Members
42 Forums
159223 Topics
2338892 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Topic Options
#2017666 - 01/20/13 04:31 AM The Quietest DP keyboards?
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Or are they all noisy even when not switched on? I had a neighbour complaining about this after a 3 am (headphone) session . . . .she didn`t know what it was! And my missus now says she can`t sleep while I`m banging away . . (what`d I just say . . . .)

""

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2017668 - 01/20/13 04:39 AM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
They all make some noise. My experience is that Kawai are the quietest, then Yamaha GHS, then either Casio or Roland. You could try something like an NP11 or 31 for middle of the night practice? They are pretty cheap, and a spring action rather than hammer, so don't expect much and check it out before buying because they are not really a DP IMHO.

#2017677 - 01/20/13 05:50 AM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
o0Ampy0o Offline

Peter,

Is this an adjacent apartment or a condo/townhouse type with a shared wall that a neighbor can hear you playing in?

#2017684 - 01/20/13 06:49 AM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
I know the feeling, when I first got the DP it felt like people were walking around it was so noisy.

In the end I learnt to play softer.

And moved the DP somewhere far away from others.

Or you could sound proof the room with cork tiles I suppose.

Problem is the noise they make are low clacky bassey sounds so they can be heard by people trying to sleep.

Guy next door hasn't complained though, maybe because I can hear them having sex all the time.

#2017694 - 01/20/13 07:30 AM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: justpin]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Originally Posted By: justpin

Problem is the noise they make are low clacky bassey sounds so they can be heard by people trying to sleep.

Guy next door hasn't complained though, maybe because I can hear them having sex all the time.

That's exactly the problem - it's all relative. Almost certainly. ordinary pianos make lots of thudding, thumping, clacking noises but it's all masked by the sheer volume of the notes themselves. Next door's sex, being real and not digital will probably outdo the rest, so you'll probably be OK - in the good neighbourliness stakes, I mean.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2017779 - 01/20/13 11:32 AM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: o0Ampy0o]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Ampy, it was a shared inner wall. Not too thick either! Bedrooms were upstairs, the piano was downstairs. The piano I have now is no better; it`s not the neighbours I have to worry about anymore.

It`s the wife ha ha!

""

#2017819 - 01/20/13 12:47 PM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Yeah, unfortunately they all make some noise and at 3:00 for some people it doesn't take a lot of noise for it to be a significant problem.

There is definitely a feeling (with which I agree) that the Kawai wood actions are somewhat quieter than some other actions. I think one reason for that is that the pitch is lower. Sort of a whump instead of a thump or even a clunk. Anyway, those lower pitches sound less noisy in the room but they travel from one room to another very easily. So which action is noisiest is partially dependent on how far away you are.

If the piano is transmitting sound into the floor and basically shaking the room we've had people have some success adding a large mass and some foam (or carpet) underneath it. Insulating a room for sounds that are transmitted sideways can be either expensive or ineffective--the effective ways include adding something significant to the wall (mass-loaded vinyl and the like). Actually they tell me another layer of drywall over your current one, attached by caulk (not nails), does a decent job but it's still a significant endeavor. If you wanted to do a good job with this you could even get the super-heavy drywall made for reflecting sound or use sound absorbing goo instead of regular caulk.

I haven't really heard people complain of sound going up from a lower room to one in the room above it that much. I guess you need to determine if the sound it going through the ceiling/floor or whether it might be coming up the stairs. If it's the latter you can make sure it's behind a closed door or two with something at the bottom of the door. In either case, you can move it to a more remote room. That one nice thing about digitals...you can easily move them from one place to another if you need to.

Edited by gvfarns (01/20/13 12:50 PM)

#2017934 - 01/20/13 04:34 PM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
My HP-505 keys definitly make clunk, and not whump. When I play Preludium in C (BWV 846) for warming up, it is very helpful to not always have the DP already switched on. Coming from the drums, I can pretty good judge on the applied dynamics by just listening to the noise of the keys! Furthermore, this clunky method is especially helpful to listen to my timing to stay constant throughout each note of that piece. That´s a very important excercise! You know how to know that it is the drummer who is coming to visit you: the knocking at the door speeds up!
In serious: worried about my neighbors, I don´t play (note even with headphones) after 22:30h. Knocking noise transmits in a building much(!) better than sound waves. I would first think about placing some damping under the DP, where the DP feet touch the floor. This can easily and cheaply be done, and will most likely solve your problem!

#2017949 - 01/20/13 05:21 PM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: gvfarns]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gvfarns

If the piano is transmitting sound into the floor and basically shaking the room we've had people have some success adding a large mass and some foam (or carpet) underneath it.

I'm curious about why some people's DPs transmit so much sound purely from key thump into the floor as to annoy neighbors below or even through the wall. Noone mentioned what stand was used (for those using stage DPs). I do think that the stand can make a huge difference to how much sound is transmitted from the thumping of the keys.

I use the recommended (and dedicated) KS-V8 stand with my V-Piano, which is really heavy and solid metal, and has thick pillars, plus hard rubber where the slab rests as well as on the floor contacts. I believe the thick (hollowed) metal pillars help to absorb vibrations and key thump, as I only have a thin carpet on the floor, yet my neighbor downstairs cannot hear anything when I play (even when I'm hitting hard, as I'm wont to do), but can easily hear me walking across the floor (and it's not because I'm heavy/fat grin).

#2017971 - 01/20/13 06:18 PM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: bennevis]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

I think the flat base of the keyboard on most dgitals can act as a sound board . . .a bloody good one too! The isulative work should be inside the piano . . .I don`t think it`s heard through the floor; just the raw sound with the casing/base.

""

#2018642 - 01/21/13 09:35 PM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
chickenlump Offline

Loc: Canada
I was picking up some music from my local music store and I thought of this thread, so I've videoed some DP keyboard sounds to compare.

Kawai Grand Feel Keyboard
Roland PHAIII
Yamaha GHS

#2018656 - 01/21/13 10:00 PM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
ruiomichlet Offline

And moved the DP somewhere far away from others.

#2018675 - 01/21/13 10:46 PM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
Taking Requests Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Thanks to chickenlump for those videos - good to have as a reference.

And indeed the Kawai is definitely... Kawai-etest

;-)

#2018834 - 01/22/13 06:56 AM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: chickenlump]
Hookxs Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Originally Posted By: chickenlump
I was picking up some music from my local music store and I thought of this thread, so I've videoed some DP keyboard sounds to compare.

Kawai Grand Feel Keyboard
Roland PHAIII
Yamaha GHS

Kawai FTW!:-)
I downloaded "Noise Meter" app for my cell phone and measured loudness of keyboards of these brands when I played them at the store and Roland and Yamaha were similar while Kawai noticably quieter.

#2018896 - 01/22/13 09:50 AM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Nice video comparison. Thanks. You are truly blessed to have a piano store near you with all three brands and with high-end pianos from all three brands.

Can't argue with the data. Kawai wins.

#2018925 - 01/22/13 10:31 AM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
FredrikJ Offline

Nice!

chickenlump or someone else - do you know how RH/RH2 compare to "Grand Feel" noise wise?

#2018995 - 01/22/13 12:25 PM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
Montano Offline

I use RH2, which is also a quiet action.

#2019031 - 01/22/13 01:18 PM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
zapper Offline

it's as quite as you can get.

#2019068 - 01/22/13 01:52 PM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
@Montano

"I use RH2, which is also a quiet action."

Lucky you ;-)

#2019075 - 01/22/13 02:02 PM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
Marko in Boston Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
My RH2 is quite quiet. Lucky me

#2019338 - 01/22/13 09:57 PM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
Montano Offline

Thanks JFP. My choice was either and ES-7 or a CN-34, and finally choose the CN-34. However , it would have been nice if the CN-34 had the auto-accompaniment and the amplifier and speakersystem of the former CN-43. Some drawback, but you can't have it all.

#2019469 - 01/23/13 06:04 AM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
Pedro_Henrique Offline

Loc: Uberaba, Minas Gerais, Brazil
And how about Casio keybeds? Anyone with the new Privias to make a video like chickenlump made?

Piano Student at State Conservatory Renato Frateschi - Uberaba - Minas Gerais - Brazil

#2019571 - 01/23/13 10:19 AM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: chickenlump]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

The Yamaha GHS is the loudest of the loud! I`ve got it . . . .

""

#2019576 - 01/23/13 10:28 AM Re: The Quietest DP keyboards? [Re: peterws]
Pedro_Henrique Offline

Loc: Uberaba, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Originally Posted By: peterws
The Yamaha GHS is the loudest of the loud! I`ve got it . . . .

Me too, but I like my MOx8... sometimes the noise and clicking doesn't bother me. Just want to know about Casio Dp's. If they are too noisy and too clicky.

Piano Student at State Conservatory Renato Frateschi - Uberaba - Minas Gerais - Brazil

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What music do play for your partner/husband/wife
/sweetie?

by Johan B
11/20/14 04:51 PM
One for you soundboard gurus...
by RonTuner
11/20/14 03:08 PM
Yamaha YDP-S51 or Roland F130R?
by Vetyver
11/20/14 02:35 PM
Musical Neighborhood?
by DancerJ
11/20/14 02:01 PM
Dream Piano Search & Purchase
by Miguel Rey
11/20/14 01:00 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission