2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 293 of 540 1 2 291 292 293 294 295 539 540
W
W
I played at my Boy Scouts' Christmas Program last week! The boys were very excited! Of course that got me excited!!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@casinitalyL Thanks!
@CarlosCC: lol, You could also spell it as Schumann Op. 68 No. 3 but that sounds so pretentious for a level 1-2 piece wink

By the way, don't you have any stagefright with all these cameras?

Does anybody know why pianostreet rates some pieces much higher then for example Henle? (Pianostreet rates the Humming Song level 4 whereas Henle rates it 1-2).

Yesterday I had my first day without practice since my daughter was born so that could be worse. Very happy where I'm at since I started in October.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@Stubbie
My teacher is older and I don't know whether it is because of his age that he is a bit rigid or that he's just a tiny bit autistic. He's a good teacher though and his structured approach helps me keep on track otherwise I would be all over the place (I just like to pick out songs which are beyond my level and give them a go, some more succesful then others wink )

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Merry Christmas!!

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/alemosso_pics/11529758053/[/img]

Edit: sorry, my intention was to embed a picture but I miserably failed... Suggestions?

Last edited by torquenale; 12/24/13 07:39 AM.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll: ouch! I hope you're able to find the right balance in playing and resting! Heal well and quickly!

Thanks cas,
I think I'm doing OK with that. Of course that may be because my bench time has been less due to the holidays, visitors, baking/cooking, etc. I also notice less pain now if I do push too hard with the stretch. My practice is less than half what it was. I try to make every minute of it count though, no noodling around allowed just now. smile

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by torquenale

Edit: sorry, my intention was to embed a picture but I miserably failed... Suggestions?

I think your link points to a folder, not to a single image (no .jpg or similar at the end)

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Merry Christmas!!

And here's your picture:
[Linked Image]

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Merry Christmas to all of you!

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Torquenale - your home looks lovely! What an adorable gingerbread house!

Wishing all my AOTW buddies a very Merry Christmas, may your hearts be filled with contentment, your days with blessings, and your ears with beautiful music!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

I'm grossly inept at tech issues so this may be worthless but I think there has to be spaces separating the [img] and [/img] tags. Like:

[img] xxxxxurlxxxxxxx [/img] Try it, its free whome

If it doesn't work... no harm no foul.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Andy Platt - Welcome back! And congratulations for your sucess!

Welcome back? Yikes, I haven't gone anywhere!

Hmm, very interesting photo you posted ...

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Ragdoll

I'm grossly inept at tech issues so this may be worthless but I think there has to be spaces separating the [img] and [/img] tags. Like:

[img] xxxxxurlxxxxxxx [/img] Try it, its free whome

If it doesn't work... no harm no foul.

That definitely won't work wink The problem was that she used a link to a page rather then an image.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That definitely won't work wink

Heh! Well I predicted that it might be worthless. I must have incredible insight ha

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
sinophilia, wimpiano (how did you do?), Ragdoll: thanks a lot! After Christmas I'll try and learn how to manage this sort of thing properly; now I'm busy preparing starters for Christmas lunch - a lot of relatives will be here tomorrow!
Cheryl: I did the gingerbread house yesterday with my son... had a lot of trouble with the snow but at the end we were satisfied!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Gingerbread houses are always adorable.
The funniest one ever was created by my daughter and a couple of her friends when they were 5,6,and7 years old. It looked like a candy factory had exploded next to the house. In fact, my whole kitchen looked like that, and was sticky for weeks!

I was scheduled to see a client today midday, but the family just cancelled, so I have extra time this morning--just me and the piano!

Learner
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@torquenale. I had to get the URL for the image which (due to protection by Flickr) was not straight forward.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
OK, I admit, it's a little early for AOTW, for me. But I have to take advantage of the fact that I have something to report right now that genuinely got me excited. There's a piano at my nearest railway station right now. And today, as I came back from my Christmas celebration, I stopped and played it for a while. I garnered applause from three bystanders. But more importantly, I played in public and didn't slip up. Not once. It was wonderful.

A belated Merry Christmas to you all, and an early wish for a happy, healthy and productive 2014.

Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Just got back from my piano studio's Winter recital and it went pretty well. Plenty of slipups but nothing major, recovered every time mostly without pause. For me that is big!

Oh yeah, that's big. No question. Especially given the pieces you played! A congratulatory slap on the back is in order here. No qualifiers. You did good.

It's funny, when I started writing I was sure I had nothing to report and then I found to things.

That's the point of this thread, isn't it? To help us find little things to be pleased about, even when we don't think there's anything to report. So congratulations on doing exactly that. Sometimes, progress is in the details.

Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
I downloaded a couple of videos about Legato.

I find it a bit strange that you would download videos for the purpose of learning to play legato. My first instinct on how to do it would mostly involve trying whatever you might think works, and then just listening. Try and listen, and listen and try again, until you get it right. The play-doh thing sounds to me like it's messy and a lot of work.

Re: playing legato using the pedal. Sometimes, there's nothing else you can do, given the jumps inherent in the way the music is written. But my teacher always tells me to play without pedal sometimes (and preferably, to play without pedal *first*). She wants me to be able to play legato without relying on pedal at all, except where it is strictly necessary. In order to make a lyrical passage sound truly lyrical, you have to *think* it lyrically, and move your hands in a way that will make it *sound* lyrical even without pedal. If you start practicing *with* pedal from the get-go, the end result may well sound more or less the way it should, but it could be that you're actually playing in a staccato sort of way.

Anyhow, I think the idea behind playing legato, with or without pedal, is always the same: make sure the previous note keeps sounding until the next one starts. Ideally, that means releasing the previous key (or the sustain pedal) just as the next hammer strikes the strings. I don't know how well that translates to a digital piano, though.

Originally Posted by 255
Anyone has a free grand?

Well, if you're willing to come to Brussels and demonstrate to me that you're a halfway decent musician, I'll let you live in my basement and play my piano every day for free :P.

(Don't laugh. I've extended the same offer to a PW member before.)

Originally Posted by Stubbie
after two days of crummy, can't-focus-for-the-life-of-me practices, tonight I got in a good, solid practice. *That* felt wonderful.

I'm happy for you. Having major trouble finding focus, myself. I'm beginning to fear that I will show up at my first lesson after Christmas break without much of anything to show for it.

Originally Posted by wimpiano
Learned Trällerliedchen (Humming Song) and Melody from the Album für die Jugend (Schumann).

And you've been playing how long? It's a matter of months, right? I'd say you're probably doing very, very well. Congrats!

Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Speaking of teachers, I finally reconciled with my old teacher who I parted with September 2012.

I'm happy to see you reconcile with someone who seems to have been a true friend to you, FarmGirl smile. And don't worry about "putting us through" your reminiscing. Those who are not interested will skip it. It's that simple.

Originally Posted by CarlosCC
He told me "Whatever is your story, you are a pianist".

Oh, yes you are, Carlos. The music you post here for the quarterly recitals speaks for itself. Plus, how can someone who "regularly tests and plays pianos at a store" not be a true aficionado? wink

Originally Posted by warlock214
I played at my Boy Scouts' Christmas Program last week!

Must have been a blast. Congratulations!

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Wow, lots of playing for people!
That's wonderful everyone!!

Learner
E
E
Saranoya that's awesome! I definitely don't have the guts to do that and let alone no slip ups? More power to you =)

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Saranoya- that's a great achievement! I'm really happy for you!

and speaking of happy....

Happy birthday Andy! Hope you're having a super day!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Page 293 of 540 1 2 291 292 293 294 295 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission