Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2017579 - 01/19/13 11:08 PM My Piano Quest, a Year Later: No Buyer's Remorse! (Long)
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
This weekend marks the anniversary of the delivery of my first acoustic piano. Although this was the most costly purchase I’ve made of anything not having floors and a furnace, I haven’t the slightest buyer’s remorse. In fact, I’m happier with the piano now than I was when I bought it last year, and my delight in playing it only grows with time.

My piano quest was a lot like others that have been described on these pages. I was a late-blooming string player (double bass) as an adolescent (a long time ago), and I’ve played the bass in some pretty decent orchestras of serious amateurs and semi-pros. I had no experience at all, though, on keyboard instruments.

A couple of years ago I was seriously ill, and the protracted course of treatment required me to stop playing bass altogether for six months. While recuperating, and with this lesson that I wouldn’t be around forever, I asked myself whether my musical yearnings were being completely satisfied by the bass. They weren’t.

Don’t get me wrong – playing in a good symphony orchestra, or in the pit orchestra for a decent opera company, is plenty rewarding. But for me, the bass (in classical music, anyway) is a hard instrument to play well, and even playing it well has limitations. The bass gets few melodies and fewer solos. I began to feel as if I were always shoveling coal in the orchestral boiler room, when I really wanted to take at least an occasional turn on the bridge.

While I was in treatment, I saw a glowing review of Perri Knize’s “Grand Obsession,” and I bought and devoured the book. Perri persuaded me that, for a music lover, it’s never too late to take up a new instrument. And I saw in the piano what so many of you have seen: A challenging and rewarding instrument, a literature that is incredibly rich from all periods and at all skill levels, and a community of like-minded souls with whom to share the journey and the passion.

In October of 2011 I acquired an AvantGrand N2. I had read about the instrument and was intrigued by some accounts and reviews. For my first few months of lessons, the AG was my piano, and it helped me get off to a good start. All digital instruments have limitations, but some have admirable strengths, and I’m a fan of the AG and the direction Yamaha and others are taking us with hybrid piano technology. I look forward to more progress.

That said, as I got deeper into lessons, I realized that the serious string player in me wasn’t going to be satisfied with a synthetic sound on my principal piano. I should have realized that while reading Perri’s book, but I didn’t fully appreciate that fact for some time.

After a couple of months I started looking at acoustics, armed with my copy of “The Piano Buyer” and informed by a lot I had read on PianoWorld.

I realized a couple of important things early in my quest. First, as someone who had had to develop a good ear for tone quality in my other musical life, I could easily hear qualitative differences between different pianos, and I liked some a lot more than I liked others. Not only that, and even though I was a novice pianist, I could perceive differences in piano actions, and I liked some a lot better than others.

The other important thing I realized was that the piano business is something of a world unto itself, and I knew nothing about how business is done in that world.

Since I was clearly drawn to higher-end pianos that cost a fair amount, I did what I do in my professional life when confronted with material questions that I can’t answer myself: I hired an expert. Steve Cohen, who posts frequently on PianoWorld, kindly agreed to give me advice about aspects of acquiring a piano, and the modest amount he charged me was the best investment I ever made – his help was invaluable and more than paid for itself. Bluntly stated, without Steve I could never have gotten the piano I really wanted.

Still, it was entirely up to me to survey the field and decide what instrument I wanted.

I can’t claim I played every type of good piano – my time was limited, and a few of the top makers don’t have much of a presence in my area. I played quite a few, though, and based on what my fingers and ears told me, I found three that really appealed.

One dealer in my area sells Faziolis, and they make a remarkable line of pianos. I found both the tone and the action impeccable.

I had to travel to Sam Bennett’s wonderful store in Atlanta to try a Grotrian, and I liked the model on his floor as much as I liked the Fazioli. It was an altogether amazing instrument, and I can see why Perri loves hers so much.

Closer to home, I also played through the whole inventory at PianoCraft in Gaithersburg MD, and that’s where the “thunderbolt” hit me. One of the last instruments I played on my visit was a Steingraeber C-212, and the combination of sound quality and keyboard feel appealed to me like nothing else I had played.

Shaun Tirrell, who worked with me at PianoCraft, is a superlative concert pianist, and while I could tell from my own plinking that this was a great instrument, hearing Shaun play it at a level I’ll never approach also gave me a sense of the instrument’s quality and potential.

The piano was by no means inexpensive, but Shaun and PianoCraft worked very hard to make the sale possible, for which I am very grateful. To make a long story short, we found a way.

So how does the piano sound? Someday I’ll post a recording of my modest student playing, but in the meantime here’s a video of my piano being played by someone who really knows how to play it, Shaun Tirrell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUAy-mDIozs

I play this instrument at least an hour or two every day I’m in town – sometimes longer – and I’ve found a very good teacher who is helping me progress, along with a local group of amateur musicians who welcomed me into their monthly “works in progress” musical salon, where we play for each other.

Piano doesn’t come easily to my 60-year-old brain, and if nothing else, it’s very good for my humility. I have an instrument that’s much better than I’ll ever deserve, but it inspires me to play seriously every day. I’ll never regret the acquisition.

Edited by ClsscLib (01/20/13 10:34 AM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2017659 - 01/20/13 03:47 AM Re: My Piano Quest a Year Later: No Buyer's Remorse! (Long) [Re: ClsscLib]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Congrats on an excellent choice. Enjoy!

#2017846 - 01/20/13 02:05 PM Re: My Piano Quest, a Year Later: No Buyer's Remorse! (Long) [Re: ClsscLib]
BeeKay Offline

Loc: Illinois
Hi,
I can relate to your story. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bill

#2017860 - 01/20/13 02:27 PM Re: My Piano Quest, a Year Later: No Buyer's Remorse! (Long) [Re: ClsscLib]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
So, if I understand this correctly...

You bought what might well be the finest piano in the world.

From a fantastic dealer.

And you are happy with it.

Do I have this about right?

smile

#2017866 - 01/20/13 02:35 PM Re: My Piano Quest, a Year Later: No Buyer's Remorse! (Long) [Re: ClsscLib]
ClsscLib Offline

I'm the least qualified person to opine on whether any piano is the finest, objectively speaking.

I do know that I like this piano better than any other I've encountered in my limited experience.

There sure are a lot of great pianos out there, though, and surveying the field was enjoyable in its own right.

#2017886 - 01/20/13 03:06 PM Re: My Piano Quest, a Year Later: No Buyer's Remorse! (Long) [Re: ClsscLib]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Well, that is ok

You needn't opine

I am opinionated enough for the both of us

Congrats and enjoy it!

smile

#2017928 - 01/20/13 04:17 PM Re: My Piano Quest, a Year Later: No Buyer's Remorse! (Long) [Re: ClsscLib]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Working with ClsscLib was refreshing. he was open to advice and tried his best to express his experience in playing a number of top tier pianos.

It was interesting in that, although the Steingraeber & Sohne was above his price range, he kept coming back to it is our many conversations. It was obvious to me that this was the optimal piano for him. It moved him ina way none of the other did.

It came down to negotiating to PianoCraft's best price and justifying the increase in ClsscLib's budget.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2017948 - 01/20/13 05:19 PM Re: My Piano Quest, a Year Later: No Buyer's Remorse! (Long) [Re: Steve Cohen]
ClsscLib Offline

Originally Posted By: Steve Cohen
Working with ClsscLib was refreshing. he was open to advice and tried his best to express his experience in playing a number of top tier pianos.

It was interesting in that, although the Steingraeber & Sohne was above his price range, he kept coming back to it is our many conversations. It was obvious to me that this was the optimal piano for him. It moved him ina way none of the other did.

It came down to negotiating to PianoCraft's best price and justifying the increase in ClsscLib's budget.

Thanks, Steve. You helped make the whole journey fun.

Negotiating with PianoCraft wasn't a problem. They needed what they needed, I could do what I could do, and we met someplace that was mutually agreeable. All very businesslike and straightforward.

Negotiating the budget increase with my better half was a different story. THAT was hard, and ultimately I caved completely. To justify the fact that we were significantly exceeding the piano budget, I agreed also to significantly exceed the home improvement budget.

Expensive, but probably cheaper than a lawyer in the long run... :-)

#2018170 - 01/21/13 05:33 AM Re: My Piano Quest, a Year Later: No Buyer's Remorse! (Long) [Re: ClsscLib]
belsha Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Congratulations, the Steingraeber 212 really is a lovely piano, the most singing, musical piano out there !
I'm jealous, even although I own 2 Steinways!

#2018207 - 01/21/13 07:54 AM Re: My Piano Quest, a Year Later: No Buyer's Remorse! (Long) [Re: belsha]
ClsscLib Offline

Originally Posted By: belsha
Congratulations, the Steingraeber 212 really is a lovely piano, the most singing, musical piano out there !
I'm jealous, even although I own 2 Steinways!

Thanks, Belsha -- I would love someday to play pianos like the wonderful Steinways you own!

A question for you: What do you use to play your software piano when you travel? I travel on business quite a bit, and I haven't been able to solve the problem of finding a portable keyboard that is very rewarding to play.

#2019119 - 01/22/13 03:35 PM Re: My Piano Quest, a Year Later: No Buyer's Remorse! (Long) [Re: ClsscLib]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
Dear ClsscLib,

I am delighted to see that you are enjoying your Steingraeber. I remember your piano quite well, and even among Steingraebers, it was remarkable. The scary thing is that as long as you continue to take good care of that instrument, it should continue to get better and better.

I know you were extremely thorough in your search, and I very much appreciate you deciding to do business with my company.
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#2019178 - 01/22/13 05:19 PM Re: My Piano Quest, a Year Later: No Buyer's Remorse! (Long) [Re: Keith D Kerman]
ClsscLib Offline

Originally Posted By: Keith D Kerman
Dear ClsscLib,

I am delighted to see that you are enjoying your Steingraeber. I remember your piano quite well, and even among Steingraebers, it was remarkable. The scary thing is that as long as you continue to take good care of that instrument, it should continue to get better and better.

I know you were extremely thorough in your search, and I very much appreciate you deciding to do business with my company.

After the glowing endorsement of PianoCraft that I got at the time from Furtwangler, I could hardly have avoided visiting you and Shaun. smile

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
80 registered (ando, Alux, AtomicBond, 22 invisible), 1402 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153620 Topics
2251552 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
04/21/14 04:52 AM
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission