Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2018616 - 01/21/13 08:36 PM Features you don't need / hooking up extra speakers
KataiYubi Offline

At two local dealers, I tried the Kawai CN23 and CN33, CA65 and the Yamaha Clavinova, NU1 and N1.

The Kawai CN23 and 33 are unimpressive. Checking the specs, I found out they have only 2 12cm (CN23)/16cm (CN33) speakers, hence the poor definition in the high notes. I am aware that there are new models coming up; I suppose the dealer wants to get rid of them before ordering the newer models.

The Yamaha NU1 has a good sound but I want a grand feel action, so it is a no-no, no matter how pretty the cabinet looks.

The best instruments were the Kawai CA65 (4 speakers incl. 2 tweeters) and Yamaha N1, but both are over $5K, which is well outside my budget. The Clavinovas are overpriced, packed with cheesy oom-pa-pah rythms and do not sound half as good.

The thing is, manufacturers seem to pack in options that only beginners need, and seem to forget that there are also non-beginners who are simply looking for a good sound/touch at an affordable price:

Number of sounds: just give me a decent PIANO, that's all I need. A decent harpsichord sound for Bach may be nice, but that's it. And forget the dual sound with the strings on top, it is cheesy and ugly. Why should I pay for that if I will NEVER use it?

Lesson function: No thanks!

"Concert magic": Are you kidding? What a ridiculous feature.

Dual split: No thanks!

Pre-recorded "songs": No, I play the piano myself - I don't want to listen to my piano playing automatically. And please, most of the pieces in there are not "songs", so stop referring to them as such in the user's manuals!

So I am sitting on my money for now, hoping for better models to pop up.

I was toying with the idea of buying something really cheap like a Casio PX850 and hooking it to two Rokit speakers to blast the sound. Anyone tried this? Unfortunately no one carries Casios in my town, so I won't order an instrument I can't feel before.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2018623 - 01/21/13 09:02 PM Re: Features you don't need / hooking up extra speakers [Re: KataiYubi]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: KataiYubi
Unfortunately no one carries Casios in my town

I know this is not very responsive to the main theme of your post, but it is something that jumped out at me and I can't help myself.

I never thought I would see the day when someone is unable to gain access to a CASIO digital piano. I thought they were everywhere ... on every street corner ... in every mall ... department store ... drug store ... you name it store ...

MEMO TO CASIO CORPORATION ... You missed a town !

Edited by dmd (01/21/13 09:03 PM)

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2018626 - 01/21/13 09:04 PM Re: Features you don't need / hooking up extra speakers [Re: KataiYubi]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
If this is what you want ...
"Just give me a decent PIANO, that's all I need."
... then get one:

#2018633 - 01/21/13 09:18 PM Re: Features you don't need / hooking up extra speakers [Re: KataiYubi]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Lol at both replies. wink

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2018634 - 01/21/13 09:19 PM Re: Features you don't need / hooking up extra speakers [Re: KataiYubi]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
You're asking _our_ ears to stand-in for _your_ ears.

Let me be completely simple-minded:

1. Buy a Casio PX-150, and an X-stand, and a pair of Rockit 8 loudspeakers.

2. Set them up in your house, with the loudspeakers pointed toward you.

3. Play.

If you don't like it, return everything in a few days. Spend the "return credit" on something more expensive, and hopefully better.

The current generation of powered studio monitors is very, very good.

. Charles

#2018651 - 01/21/13 09:57 PM Re: Features you don't need / hooking up extra speakers [Re: Charles Cohen]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Charles Cohen
You're asking _our_ ears to stand-in for _your_ ears.

Let me be completely simple-minded:

1. Buy a Casio PX-150, and an X-stand, and a pair of Rockit 8 loudspeakers.

2. Set them up in your house, with the loudspeakers pointed toward you.

3. Play.

If you don't like it, return everything in a few days. Spend the "return credit" on something more expensive, and hopefully better.

The current generation of powered studio monitors is very, very good.

. Charles

Good Plan !]

And ... if you do not like the PX-150 .... return it and go for the PX-350.

Personally, I would go for the PX-350 in step one and save a step.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2018671 - 01/21/13 10:44 PM Re: Features you don't need / hooking up extra speakers [Re: KataiYubi]
KataiYubi Offline

Anyone here owning the Casio PX 850 and willing to share his/her appreciation of the touch/sound generation as opposed to other more commonly found DPs?

#2018715 - 01/22/13 12:30 AM Re: Features you don't need / hooking up extra speakers [Re: KataiYubi]
Dustin Spray Offline

Loc: Central Illinois
I just bought a Kawai CA65 and love it! It was $2850.00 before tax,

#2018718 - 01/22/13 12:32 AM Re: Features you don't need / hooking up extra speakers [Re: KataiYubi]
Dustin Spray Offline

I just bought a Kawai CA65 and love it! It was $2850.00 before tax,

#2018722 - 01/22/13 12:50 AM Re: Features you don't need / hooking up extra speakers [Re: dmd]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: dmd

And ... if you do not like the PX-150 .... return it and go for the PX-350.

Personally, I would go for the PX-350 in step one and save a step.

That's actually what I did. But I expect to have use for the 240 (or so) voices in the PX-350 that aren't in the PX-150. And it's neat to practice scales against a jazz drummer, rather than a "DING ding ding ding" metronome.

If you just want to "play piano" or "learn piano", the PX-150 has the same keyboard, and some of the same "Grand Piano" (and other) voices.

. Charles

#2018801 - 01/22/13 04:49 AM Re: Features you don't need / hooking up extra speakers [Re: KataiYubi]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Anyone here owning the Casio PX 850 and willing to share his/her appreciation of the touch/sound generation as opposed to other more commonly found DPs?

Doesn't have the grand feel action in your first post, so it's a no-no. Move on.

#2019272 - 01/22/13 07:46 PM Re: Features you don't need / hooking up extra speakers [Re: Dustin Spray]
KataiYubi Offline

Thanks Dustin.

I can't believe the difference between what you paid and what the cost is for the same instrument in Montreal, Canada.

Did you get any special price?

For me, the retailer where I was quoted that price for the CA65($5 400) is the only game in town as for Kawais, so I'll see if I could get the same from another retailer out of town and have it delivered.

#2019391 - 01/22/13 11:46 PM Re: Features you don't need / hooking up extra speakers [Re: KataiYubi]
ONfrank Offline

Thanks Dustin.

I can't believe the difference between what you paid and what the cost is for the same instrument in Montreal, Canada.

Did you get any special price?

For me, the retailer where I was quoted that price for the CA65($5 400) is the only game in town as for Kawais, so I'll see if I could get the same from another retailer out of town and have it delivered.

I'm pretty sure that's the list price. That's never the real price. Kawai MSRP is especially over-inflated in Canada compared to the US. For $5,000 you could surely get the top end model.

#2019409 - 01/23/13 12:17 AM Re: Features you don't need / hooking up extra speakers [Re: KataiYubi]
Dustin Spray Offline

I think the list price for the Kawai CA65 is approx $4500 USD. From what I understand most dealers sell them for approximate 20-25% off the list price. The normal price when I bought mine was approx $3200 and it was on sale the month of Jan for $2850. I can't say enough good about it. It does have alot of bells and whistles but it serves as a great digital piano, which is the mode that I have been playing it on. I would recommend atleast trying one out. The touch and feel is amazing. I was sold on a Yamaha before I visited the Kawai retailer. Much more bang for your buck.

-Dustin

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Coolest Back Action I have Seen
by Steve Jackson
10/24/14 11:55 AM
Steinway piano with two offset keyboards
by guyl
10/24/14 10:36 AM
Black and white dampers
by iLaw
10/24/14 09:55 AM
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
10/24/14 09:05 AM
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
10/24/14 06:34 AM
Who's Online
142 registered (ando, ajames, Almaviva, Alexander Borro, anamnesis, 42 invisible), 1533 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76639 Members
42 Forums
158470 Topics
2327173 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission