Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2019348 - 01/22/13 10:18 PM This piano defies all odds...
Ryan Hassell Offline

Loc: Farmington, MO
I tuned a piano for the third year in a row for a little country church. It is a little one room frame church built over 100 years ago. In this church they have an older Everett. This church has no running water. The heat/ac is only turned on for Sunday morning services. The rest of the time the heat/ac is turned completely off. During the week what ever the temperature is outside, it is the same inside the church. I tuned this piano about one year ago. I always come expecting to have to do a large pitch raise, however that is never the case. This year, no key was more than 8 cents off. The entire bass section was dead on. The elderly gentleman who let me in, sat patiently and watched me tune the piano. After I was finished, he asked "Do extreme changes in temperature and humidity affect pianos all that much." I kind of chuckled and said, "Yes, normally, however this piano doesn't seem to mind." To the pianos defense, it does have a dehumidfier rod that a tech installed years ago. It probably needs to be replaced with a newer one along with a humidistat, however I may just leave well enough alone.

www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2019368 - 01/22/13 11:05 PM Re: This piano defies all odds... [Re: Ryan Hassell]
Zeno Wood Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Nice pictures!

#2019369 - 01/22/13 11:06 PM Re: This piano defies all odds... [Re: Ryan Hassell]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
It does not sound so surprising, I dont know your climate but moisture is raising the pitch, then in dryer confitions (not likely to occur for long) it lowers.

Then no heat during cold extra dry winter days is way better than heating.

2 hz is quite something yet , may be they pound may be the strings will break, probably you tuned at another season.
I have seen similar old pianos keeping 440 <41 for 2 years and with very long travels in trucks, unheated stockeage then heated, playing by an automat so I know the piano was not left unplayed.

I admit i was even more surprized than you, probably, because originally the piano have been PR abd tuned tge same day.(plus pins where somewhat slippy on some notes).

Conclusions
Old pianos can have an extreme stability, particularely once you can obtain an extra firm (active) pin setting.

To be honest the high treble have fallen, not unison, but the pinblick had unglue from the back there, long threaded bolts took care of that aspect before
tuning.... May be next time I will find it really off, but I doubt of thst.

BTW It is a 1904 or 14 old American player... Very well build. (warm tone, if only we change hammers it will be even better but as they are, juiced and voiced fast , a real pianist can make music on it without being embarrased.

#2019375 - 01/22/13 11:16 PM Re: This piano defies all odds... [Re: Ryan Hassell]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I once tuned an old, completely shot, Ivers & Pond tall upright that hadn't been tuned in who knows how long. It was five cents flat... I was shocked. Compare that to the Yamaha C7 I tuned at one of my churches over the weekend: the bass was 10 cents flat, slowly tapering up to six-ish in the treble.... and I tuned it exactly one month ago! Hopefully, my speech about filling the Dampp-Chaser system (that I re-installed last month) sank in so that doesn't happen again next month!
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2019385 - 01/22/13 11:31 PM Re: This piano defies all odds... [Re: beethoven986]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Because old soundboards are rarely very reactive to moisture changes, the instruments tend to stay put. (someting about inner stress of the panel and resiliency of old wood cells)

#2019585 - 01/23/13 10:57 AM Re: This piano defies all odds... [Re: Ryan Hassell]
Maximillyan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: KZ
Originally Posted By: Ryan Hassell
he asked "Do extreme changes in temperature and humidity affect pianos all that much." I kind of chuckled and said, "Yes, normally, however this piano doesn't seem to mind."

Ryan you must make a written notice to the elder of the church. Here you need to elaborate on the negative events that could lead to a complete loss of the piano. A servicers of church need to install electric oil cooler in the winter time. Otherwise parishioners would be left without Sunday Mass...

#2019588 - 01/23/13 11:02 AM Re: This piano defies all odds... [Re: Ryan Hassell]
AndyJ Offline

Loc: Near Dayton, Ohio USA
Many years ago I visited the beautiful Sharon Temple in Ontario, Canada. It's an unheated frame building which a breakaway sect of Quakers built for their charismatic leader to use as a study and retreat. One of the issues that led these Quakers to break away was their leader's love of music, of which other Quakers of the time did not approve. (The many modern Quakers I know love music, but this happened back in the early 19th century).

Anyway, the temple had an ancient Steinway grand -- maybe a square grand, I can't remember now. I sat down to play it and was amazed that it was in quite acceptable condition. Now I know that relative humidity changes, and in the southern Ontario climate especially very low RH in heated buildings in the winter, are the really deadly ones for pianos. (I guess constant very high RH like the US Gulf coast experiences would also be terrible.) This piano had never been in a heated space.

#2019607 - 01/23/13 11:54 AM Re: This piano defies all odds... [Re: Ryan Hassell]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Leave it like it is, non-regulated dampchaser and all. Those Everett Studios are pretty stable, almost as stabel as the Hamiltons.

#2019617 - 01/23/13 12:11 PM Re: This piano defies all odds... [Re: Ryan Hassell]
RestorerPhil Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
That stability is surely due to the lack of winter heating for long enough to dry the piano. I have seen big uprights which were just that stable, as well.

Just wait, however. One day someone will come up with the bright idea that they need to run some heat all the time in the winter, and ruin the long term equilibrium of that beautiful old Everett. Then you would not only need the humidistat, but the whole Lift Saver System.
Rebuilding & Restoration

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
74 registered (AndrewJCW, barbaram, allakart, beet31425, 16 invisible), 1242 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75843 Members
42 Forums
156798 Topics
2303915 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
Today at 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
Today at 01:33 AM
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
HELLO!!
by Synner
Yesterday at 07:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission