Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 198 of 226 < 1 2 ... 196 197 198 199 200 ... 225 226 >
Topic Options
#2053900 - 03/25/13 10:02 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
If you've not seen it, Chico and Rita, the animated film that Bebo scored and was, in part, the inspiration for, is a fantastic film.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2054014 - 03/25/13 01:22 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Yeah, it's great!

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#2057054 - 03/30/13 07:44 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Does anyone have a leadsheet for the Jobim tune "O Grande Amor " ?

I have quite a few books and it's not in any of them. Would prefer the classic Getz/Corea version from "Sweet Rain" as opposed to the original Jobim changes if possible. I could do a takedown but this would save time. Thanks guys.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP4, CP5 (home use) , RCF TT08A, TT22A speakers

#2057202 - 03/31/13 04:50 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: Dave Ferris]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Does anyone have a leadsheet for the Jobim tune "O Grande Amor " ?
Yes.
Send me a PM with your e-mail and its yours.
-----------------------------------------
I found your email and sent it to you.

Edited by chrisbell (03/31/13 04:52 AM)

#2059623 - 04/05/13 06:07 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
1000 Post Club Member

Paul Bley interviewed (a 2002 blindfold test).
Man, I dig his attitude.
Read it

#2059635 - 04/05/13 07:04 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
fun to read

#2059730 - 04/05/13 10:02 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

I probably disagreed with 95% of what he said, but I still really enjoyed the interview. Thanks for posting.

#2059767 - 04/05/13 11:10 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Thanks for posting that Chris, it is rare I like any writing about jazz but that was fascinating. It is an insight into how he listens to the music. The Monk one is quite interesting as well ....

http://www.forghieri.net/jazz/blind/Monk.html

#2059835 - 04/05/13 12:55 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
1000 Post Club Member

Monk is always interesting. :-)

Thanks.

#2069714 - 04/24/13 02:07 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Awesome concert tonight with Herbie, Wayne Shorter, Marcus Miller Vinnie Colaiuta, Seam Jones at Disney Hall. This was a tribute to Miles so some straight ahead Jazz for a change. Familiar tunes like Milestones, All Blues, Someday My Prince will Come, Orbit, Footprints, etc.

I was just thinking that for a Miles tribute, several of the tunes were of course composed by Wayne. It was a mix of fusion from later Miles years, to the 60's quintet and then for an encore, it was Herbie's turn. He brought out his keytar and went funk. The crowd went wild.

I would note that Herbie's solos were all similar in that he pretty much reharmed everything and went outside 80% of the time. You got back to the home when he reached the root. Reminds me of the Autumn leaves version I posted many times. Same stuff of playing out. He's doing the exact same thing there so obviously no new invention here. Sounded great to me.

Wayne stayed melodic with really great tone on Tenor. He was fantastic.

Marcus Miller was slapping that bass and syncopating like Jaco even on swing. Gave the sound a different feel and reminded me of my bass player who's heavily influenced by this style.

I've missed 2 concerts that I already paid for long ago but glad I didn't miss this. Found out that next week I'm seeing Brad Mehldau.

It was particularly poignant to hear this particular group playing Miles tunes. My band is getting a reputation for concentrating mostly of this type of jazz (Miles 60's on), and combining styles of swing, all the way to funk. Now if I can just play like Herbie everything would be cool...

#2069862 - 04/24/13 10:04 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzwee
. . . . Now if I can just play like Herbie everything would be cool...

grin

#2070007 - 04/24/13 02:41 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

I gotta get me one of those keytars just so I can feel like a rock god.

#2070364 - 04/25/13 12:45 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jjo
I gotta get me one of those keytars just so I can feel like a rock god.

I do a good amount of Jazz funk now and unfortunately I don't have a synth. I just have EP and Piano really. Last night made me wish I had a synth. He had some cool things programmed on his Korg (Oasis maybe? can't tell much from so far away).

I found that after tons of standards, the crowd goes crazy when we do a couple of tunes in Funk.

Do I need a keytar? Nah...LOL...I'll just sit.

Last night though, Herbie was doing the typical Herbie thing from old. I actually haven't seen him do that. Most of the recent stuff was all that far out conceptions (no form, no rhythm, free). So I'm glad to see the old stuff.

#2070534 - 04/25/13 10:05 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Your were lucky to see Herbie do his "old" stuff. While I understand from his point of view why he does what he's done the past 20 years, the Herbie I love is what he did when he played pure jazz. I have the box set of all his Blue Note stuff, and its incredible. He can still play like that when he chooses to, and you just got to be lucky to be there when he does that.

We have a couple of outdoor dates this summer, and we definitely put in what little funky stuff we have: Watermelon Man, Cold Duck Time, a couple of others.

#2070600 - 04/25/13 11:51 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

We've funked up some standards like Blue in Green, Summertime, Autumn Leaves, Mr PC, So What, God Bless the Child...etc. in addition to the regular funk tunes (Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Cold Duck, Mercy Mercy, etc.).

It took a bit of learning to know how to deal with Funk since I've only learned Straight-ahead. But it's part of my formula that seems to get the crowd coming back. Catering to a little bit of this seems to make a big difference. And it also allows me to add some regular straight ahead that normally I would think is too intellectual like Giant Steps and Inner Urge. Contrast works out.

This week, I'm adding two new tunes that I've never played with a band. Nardis and Maiden Voyage. We're playing Nardis at the Bill Evans tempo which is a little fast but we got the hits right in practice. Maiden Voyage sounds different rhythmically when practicing in solo vs. a real band.

For a little comedic relief, we've gone into Mustang Sally and Margaritaville, My Girl, etc. Crowd goes wild when you do something unexpected. But not too much.

#2070816 - 04/25/13 05:30 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

If I had a crack horn section, I'd really like to do Roy Hargrove's Strasbourg/St. Denis. Great groove with a boppish head on top. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxeb0cwjE8U

#2073256 - 04/29/13 03:05 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

#2073257 - 04/29/13 03:23 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
I listened to Night in Tunisia. Your solo was really great, it must have been fun to play like that.

#2073262 - 04/29/13 03:43 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: custard apple]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Cus, thanks so much.

This is a venue we've only played once before. I was surprised that a huge crowd (over 100) showed up as we started. They showed up only for us. It's certainly humbling.

Now if I can only stop rushing, it would all be good. smile It's a problem I've had all week.

#2073363 - 04/29/13 09:09 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Cool version of Night in Tunisia. And a hard tempo to play it at!

#2073527 - 04/29/13 02:46 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Thanks Knots. Hope things are going well on your end.

#2073869 - 04/30/13 12:55 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
...So Brad Mehldau Trio was supposed to play here tonight. I was looking forward to seeing him play again, especially since he has a new drummer since last time I saw him. However, HE FORGOT HIS PASSPORT and they wouldn't let him across the border today!!!!! So, show was postponed until Sunday, and he's coming solo now. I'm hesitant to go, and so are my friends.

What would you do?

#2073880 - 04/30/13 01:35 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

What the Heck---I'm seeing him Saturday in LA, just the day before. So he'll fly out to Canada immediately?

What's with Canada anyway? You now need a passport to go there? I don't need a passport to go to Mexico. Besides, no jazz fans at the border?

#2074241 - 04/30/13 02:21 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

While I prefer trio playing as a general matter, Brad Mehldau is one of the great solo piano players around today. I wouldn't hesitate to go.

When you say a new drummer, you last saw him with Jorge Rossey? That was quite some time ago. He's played with Jeff Ballard for years.

#2074248 - 04/30/13 02:28 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Watching Jazz Day LIVE now.

http://live.jazzday.com/

#2074490 - 04/30/13 08:17 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jjo
While I prefer trio playing as a general matter, Brad Mehldau is one of the great solo piano players around today. I wouldn't hesitate to go.

When you say a new drummer, you last saw him with Jorge Rossey? That was quite some time ago. He's played with Jeff Ballard for years.

Yes, I guess it was a number of years ago. huh. I only have the albums with Jorge on them, and haven't heard anything that I've liked as much with Jeff Ballard on them (via Youtube, etc).

As for the solo concert coming up, I'm still thinking on it. I tend to get bored easier than most when I hear too much of the same thing. Or maybe I'm one of the few that admits it...

#2074492 - 04/30/13 08:20 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzwee
What the Heck---I'm seeing him Saturday in LA, just the day before. So he'll fly out to Canada immediately?

What's with Canada anyway? You now need a passport to go there? I don't need a passport to go to Mexico. Besides, no jazz fans at the border?

Ya, he's in Seattle today, and tomorrow, and then Cal on Saturday, back here on Sunday.

As for the passport, yes. We've taken a page out of the old paranoia book and now require everyone to have a passport to enter. And no, the border guards probably listen to Metallica or Wayne Newton.

#2074938 - 05/01/13 10:51 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

There's an interesting divide on Mehldau and his two drummers. I vastly prefer the sound of the trio with Jeff Ballard, but a lot of people preferred how the trio sounded with Rossey.

#2076371 - 05/03/13 01:00 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

I would enjoy listening to Mehldau doing solo piano or trio. I've never seen him live doing solo though. Looking forward to Saturday evening. I did see him with Ballard last year. And then the year before that as well. He's one of my favorites and seeing him and Herbie back to back is just amazing.

#2076683 - 05/03/13 02:10 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've listened to Mehldau's Live at Marciac, which is a double solo CD. As always, Mehldau has developed a way of playing solo piano that is all his own. I really like it (big surprise), although I tend to prefer piano with at least one other rhythm instrument.

For those into solo piano, I highly recommend Excelsior by Bill Carrothers. If you subscribe to Spotify it's available there. Carrothers is a little know but very creative pianist (a favorite of my teacher). What is extraordinary about Excelsior is that, according to his web site (which I have no reason to doubt) all of the pieces on the CD are spontaneous improvisations. The pieces are generally slow and contemplative with incredibly creative harmonies. These would be great compositions; that they were created spontaneously is all the more amazing.

Page 198 of 226 < 1 2 ... 196 197 198 199 200 ... 225 226 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Marche Funèbre d'une Marionette
by Minnesota Marty
Today at 10:09 AM
Tired and groggy
by PhilipInChina
Today at 08:26 AM
Digital piano key noise
by bigsmile
Today at 03:15 AM
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
Today at 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
Today at 01:52 AM
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, A Guy, Alex75001, aesop, 36251, 43 invisible), 1445 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157665 Topics
2315869 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission