Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2019556 - 01/23/13 09:55 AM Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator?
JohanJons Offline

My room is really cold at night so the temperature differenses make my guitars getting out of tune. My room is cold because i dont have my radiator on because i have the digital piano standing at the window, and thats were i have the radiator.

Im scared that if i put it on, it may overheat the piano or something, is that true or can a digital piano handle much heat from a radiator?

/Johan

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2019580 - 01/23/13 10:43 AM Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? [Re: JohanJons]
zapper Offline

what kinda DP you have? if wooden case or have wooden parts then the case will dry out and/or glue out...other then that don't worry about the radiator and stay warm...

#2019590 - 01/23/13 11:06 AM Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? [Re: JohanJons]
Nigeth Offline

There is usually info in the manual or handbook about the minimum distances to radiators/heaters.

That's because the devices are usually not ventilated (no fans) and rely on convection for cooling. Also some parts can get quite warm so placing the piano too close to a radiator might cause certain parts to overheat causing electrical or mechanical defects in the worst case.

A distance of about 30cm/12 inches to the radiator is usually enough to prevent that but you should consult the manual.

I should also mention that overheating is only an issue if the device is turned on and you play it. If it's turned off then it should be no problem if the heater is running. So you might keep the heater runing at night and just move the dp a little when you play it.

#2019624 - 01/23/13 12:18 PM Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? [Re: JohanJons]
JohanJons Offline

It says
Dont place it at spots that are exposed to sunlight or high humidity.

Places that are exposed to extremly high or low temperatures.

Also dont place it close to a tv nor radio etc...

I just placed a humidifier in my room to get my guitar neck to bend back, maybe i should move it out then.. extremly high temeperatures are that above like 40 degrees Celsius or less/more?

#2019643 - 01/23/13 12:43 PM Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? [Re: JohanJons]
Nigeth Offline

It's definitely more than 40°C

OK: "high humidity": if humidity gets to high the water vapor can condensate inside the instrument and cause electrical damage.

This would usually be humidity above 80% so places like brasil or other places close to the equator or if you place it inside of a green house or bathroom/poolhouse

Exposure to sunlight: In the summer a black surface exposed to sunlight can heat up to 60°C or more (just think car dashboard when you park the car outside in the summer)

This might 'warp' the plastic casing or cause discoloring but this usually only happens during the summer when the instrument is exposed to the direct sun for long duriations

Don't place it too close to a radio or TV. Electromagnetic interference from the radio or TV might cause distortions and make it sound worse

Extremely high or low temps assume that this means either below 0°C or above 45°C. If you place the piano at least 30 cm from the heater you should be just fine. It's probably better to keep the heater on anyway both for your guitars and to prevent the build up of mold.

If its an open flame (wood stove, oil stove etc) you shouldn't place anywhere near it.

If you want to be sure though contact technical support and see what they recommend.

#2019678 - 01/23/13 02:08 PM Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? [Re: JohanJons]
zapper Offline

Originally Posted By: JohanJons
extremly high temeperatures are that above like 40 degrees Celsius or less/more?

these are when the case is melting - electronics components have no problem with temperature even around 100 degrees Celsius.

#2020229 - 01/24/13 09:47 AM Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? [Re: JohanJons]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I wouldn't put a DP close to a radiator, or in direct sun... unless you want to find out the hard way what the tolerances really are. At the very least, they cost money, and some of us would be sad to see our instruments ruined.

#2020242 - 01/24/13 10:19 AM Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? [Re: JohanJons]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Back when I used to own a tube amplifier, a Dynaco Stereo 70, I bought a whisper fan (that might actually have been the brand name, it's been a long time) to keep the amplifier cool.

I think in a situation like this some common sense should be used. My car has electronics and it's outside the entire year - in very hot weather and now is very cold weather. I don't give this a second thought.

If I were that concerned about an electric piano, I'd buy a whisper fan and position it in the appropriate place.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2021060 - 01/25/13 11:07 AM Re: Can i place a digital piano close to a radiator? [Re: JohanJons]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England
Can a heat shield be placed between the piano and the radiator?
Two sheets of card wrapped in tin foil should do, it will deflect heat away from the piano and still allow it to heat the room.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
155 registered (accordeur, acortot, 36251, A Guy, Abby Pianoman, 53 invisible), 1605 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75901 Members
42 Forums
156862 Topics
2304878 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Any interest in reviving the Denver area piano group?
by Colin Dunn
08/22/14 11:52 AM
Masterclass etiquette doubt
by Francisco Scalco
08/22/14 10:21 AM
Using the drum tracks on KAWAI MP6 piano
by Dr Jazz
08/22/14 08:39 AM
4K piano purchase question
by ConstantlyConfused
08/22/14 08:17 AM
Do you use a method series to teach jazz? What series?
by Maechre
08/22/14 07:39 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission