2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (anotherscott, 20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
jake55 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
The add says must sell. Make an offer. What would be a reasonable offer or is a new Kawai K15 at 3000 a better deal?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Have you had the used instrument inspected by a technician?

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
About equal in quality and I played both when I was shopping. I liked the kawai better overall. I like new, and warranties and follow up service. If it was me I'd go kawai. Used, you'll be out a tuning, any service issues that come up and arranging/paying for transport. You've burned up somewhere close to $250-300 already. On my $4500 new upright, I had two issues come up that required follow up service. Both were attended to quickly and effectively. Paying for them would have been at least another $200 although it's fair to say one could have waited and been attended to at a tuning and probably covered in the cost of tuning.

I want to add that both Kawai and Yamaha as companies offer outstanding support.

humbly offered,

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
J
jake55 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the input. I did not have a technician look at it. I asked the owner when it was last tuned and for the contact information of the one who tuned it, which they provided. I wanted to get an opinion on the specific piano model before I went any further. It sounds like new is the better way to go then even if the new piano is an entry level model? I would prefer to not spend more than 3000?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

I would not make a decision based on one posting in an obscure internet chat room. Talk to the technician who services the Yamaha.

The P22 is a good solid upright. The P22 replaces the P2 which can be found in many schools and other institutions. It has the heavy front leg and Darnell castor set, along with metal brackets on the inside of the toe assembly. I have serviced hundreds of these in schools over the years, a very durable instrument. This instrument is head and shoulders above an entry level piano.

The only concerns would be age and present mechanical condition.

N
N
Price basically depends on where you live. I would say 2500 is at the upper end of average. As far as an Achilles heel on the P-22 if I was looking I would check the hammer butt flanges, sometimes you will find the silk cord which keeps the springs in check are broken, making the hammer slow to return.

Also to say that you cant get tuning,delivery and a warranty on something used isn't the case anymore. May have been 10 years ago but some people do try to be accomodating. It may not be a manufacturers warranty but you should be able to get some type of protection.

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
Since 1918
Lascassas TN

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission