2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 118 of 540 1 2 116 117 118 119 120 539 540
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Jim F
This is off the top of my head (see how good my memory is/isn't)
Scales for level 5 include A maj, E maj, Eb maj, Ab maj, F#m, C#m, Cm, Fm
2 octaves at 104 bpm legato (any of them) and staccato(not all of them)

Same keys arpeggios hands separate at 80 bpm
Same keys broken tonic and dominant chords and cadences hands together in root and two inversions

Also the "scale pattern" found in the exam book

I bought the syllabus and have to keep referring back to it to remember everything I'm supposed to learn. I was taking a practice theory exam tonight and got stumped on filling in the appropriate rests in a few lines of music. I can read rests when playing but to have to fill in the blank made my mind go blank too. Sure hope they use the American words...I'll really get lost with quivers

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
P
P
Originally Posted by JimF

Well, willy nilly I look at the metronome and I'd misread it! It was set on 92 not 72!!! So I had just played a full 20 clicks above my "wall". Go figure. Sometimes piano is just weird.

Yea things definitely do work that way sometimes. I just got back from my lesson and my teacher was really excited about my progress with 36 no 1! She told me to keep practicing but that we can move on to other pieces! She told me to work on op 36 no 3 from Clementi and Chopins op 28 no 6. I'm pretty excited about the Chopin piece. But now I'm going to practice before I have to go to work! Is there a thread just for random chatting about piano and pieces?

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by JimF

Well, willy nilly I look at the metronome and I'd misread it! It was set on 92 not 72!!! So I had just played a full 20 clicks above my "wall". Go figure. Sometimes piano is just weird.

Hahaha... Jim, I just had to respond to this. That's absolutely awesome.

And I also have to ask... have you ever seen the movie "The Rookie," with Dennis Quaid?

It's the true story of a washed-out baseball pitcher who decides to try a late-in-life comeback. Early in the movie, he's wondering if he still has "the stuff."

Check out this scene (must watch to the end to get the point). When I read your story about the metronome, this immediately came to mind...

"Wide awake, I can make my most fantastic dreams come true..."
- Lorenz Hart
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Love that scene

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
F
F
I'm actually starting to kinda *read music*.

Yamaha P95
Just starting "piano advantures" - at page 50-60-odd.
Okay, my achievement is that after 2 months of working hard and NOT giving up I finally have my Schubert piece memorized!! smile This one was particularly difficult to memorize, with lots of key and harmony changes throughout on top of 4 sharps. So now I have all of my 3 major pieces memorized for my next recital. Yea!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats to ZoeCalgary and Albynism for taking their exams. That is quite an accomplishment!

I am considering taking the ABRSM exam here in Switzerland, and I have been doing the requirements for each grade consecutively for the last couple months. Currently I am working through Grade 3, and may take that level or level 4 this fall. The level 3 pieces were more challenging at tempo than I expected.

Until I started this process, I never realized how weak my technical skills were. My teacher in the US did not believe in teaching scales because he felt many kids had all the musicality driven out of them by mindlessly playing scales. My teacher here in Switzerland believes learning scales, arpeggios, and broken chords is essential to advance as a pianist. So, I have only been learning them for about six months. Who knew there were so many scales?? Major, melodic minor, harmonic minor... sheesh! So, my accomplishment of the week is that I have finally learned all the required scales through grade 3 in four octaves at 80 bpm hands together. I am still working on HT for the Arpeggios and broken chords at speed.

Another light bulb moment for this week, is I realized how important it is to stick to one fingering religiously when playing a piece. Often when I speeded a piece up, I would get sloppy with the fingering, and I started to make errors. This created a speed wall for me that was unnecessary.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've been on vacation for a week in the north of Portugal in a very beautiful hotel (hotel Bussaco). There was a piano in the living room and of course I could not resist and played a few pieces by memory. I managed to play even though the piano was a little out of tune.
The living room was beautifull and huge (see below images) and had some tourists who were resting after dinner. After 1 hour, and when I got up from the piano, an old lady (Spanish tourist) spoke to me, thanking the wonderful time she had to hear me play. Needless to say I was "flushed"... I thanked the lady and I was happy to have made someone happy.
This is why music is wonderful.
This was my AoW.

The Hotel (http://www.almeidahotels.com/nm_quemsomos.php?id=12):
[Linked Image]

And me:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Carlos, what a beautiful experience. You'll treasure that for awhile. And the story and pictures are truly inspiring.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by SwissMS
Major, melodic minor, harmonic minor... sheesh! So, my accomplishment of the week is that I have finally learned all the required scales through grade 3 in four octaves at 80 bpm hands together. I am still working on HT for the Arpeggios and broken chords at speed.

How many notes per beat is that? Two or four?

Another light bulb moment for this week, is I realized how important it is to stick to one fingering religiously when playing a piece. Often when I speeded a piece up, I would get sloppy with the fingering, and I started to make errors. This created a speed wall for me that was unnecessary.

One of the gradual improvements I've noted is that it's much easier for me to get the fingering right from the beginning which means I can stick with it. As you note, if you don't - forget about it!

But sometimes the fingering I want to play doesn't actually work and, yup, then it's a hard hard slog to overcome it!!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That would be two beats per. I am still kind of new at this scale thing. Grade 3 actually only requires two octaves at half that speed, but my piano teacher wants four octaves as fast as I can do accurately. 80 bpm is my consistently accurate speed right now. Above that I come off track (Let see, was that harmonic or melodic??).

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
LB - As usual, we are on the same page. wink The Rookie is one of my all-time favorite baseball movies - and that memorable scene is also a favorite.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What gorgeous photos, Carlos. You must be enjoying that vacation!

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by fingerspitzngefuhl
I'm actually starting to kinda *read music*.

Congratulations!

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
@MaryBee - It is indeed a very diferent hotel!

@jotur - Yes, I was very touched when the old lady got up from the couch (with the difficulty normal for an aged person) and walked up to me to pass those simple words. It is a moment I will not forget.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
112 bars of John Blow's Ground in Gamutt (G minor)... Perhaps the longest piece I've attempted to learn since returning to the keyboard.

I thought I had attempted to reach further than my grasp. Yesterday, even just the LH was missing some twiddly bits. Today I've mastered a few ornaments (following Purcell's Rules for Graces), the LH ones only so far, and all the twiddly bits are vanquished. HT is still slow, and I need to regularise some RH fingerings, but I feel it's a lot better overall, I'm feeling much more at home with all the chords, sequences of thirds, syncopated sections, ledger line notes.

I'm quite surprised at just how chromatic some sections are... Some chords sound almost 'modern'.
I can find only one recording of this piece on Youtube (as part of another recording) and the sheet music is not on IMSLP. Blow does not seem to be widely known, but he's definitely worth exploring.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Hi, all. smile

I hadn't followed this thread at all until a few days ago, when I peeked in and found that a number of my favorite PW friends are here. 2hearts

So I'll play along...

My AOW is getting back on track. Until about 3 weeks ago, I'd been having a great run with practice time... keeping up with MOYD and all that... really pleased with myself and my progress. Then a few weeks ago some life events intruded, as they will sooner or later, and I really let myself fall off the wagon. As one week with scant practice time turned into two... and then into three... I was really getting frustrated.

This week, I seem to have found my mojo again (keeping fingers crossed that it holds).

Edited to add: speaking of which, CAS, I need to be moved to the "back on the wagon" category in MOYD blush

Last edited by Legal Beagle; 05/04/12 04:44 PM.

"Wide awake, I can make my most fantastic dreams come true..."
- Lorenz Hart
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Eglantine
Today I've mastered a few ornaments (following Purcell's Rules for Graces), the LH ones only so far, and all the twiddly bits are vanquished.

I have the hardest time with ornaments (though ones in the right hand are becoming easier to pick up). I went through CPE Bach's treatise on them - talk about soporific. Hopefully Purcell's Rules for Graces is a more interesting read?

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Wow, what a busy time this has been...where to start...

BeccaBb, scales are always good warm ups and help so much with fluidity and simply recognizing how to move through running passages -you're building up great skills.

Valencia - The Winter Wind Chopin piece is lovely ! You must be pleased!

Cabazon - Congrats on your first recital- how exciting!!!

WiseBuff, there's something wonderful about minor scales - they are so much more mysterious and interesting that the majors.

SwissMS - isn't it great you were able to play well for your visitors? And you are so right on the need to be consistent with using the same fingerings. Once you start doing that you are on the road to success for sure!

Pckhdlr305 - that's a tricky name to type! I know what you mean about going back to a piece, like the Clementi, where you had previously worked on it. I noticed that with my Beethoven Sonatina I'd but aside for a while. What a great feeling to see how much easier it is monthys later!

Pianostudent88 - Congrats on your recital!!!!

JimF - I think it is pretty funny you had mis-set your metronome and played so much faster. Just goes to show that sometimes progress hits at the strangest times.
(Aside: In Canada the speed limits are in kilometres per hour, in the USA they are miles per hour. A few years ago, while visiting in Canada, my American Aunt was up visiting at the same time. One of the Canadian family members borrowed the American Aunt's car and somehow didn't realize the speedometer was in MPH, and was luck to not get a ticket for driving 100MPK (160KPM) !!

Carlos, your story of playing on your holiday was wonderfully heart touching - what a lovely experience. And what a beautiful place!!!

Eglantine - you play such interesting music - I'm really looking forward to hearing what you'll play in the recital!

Meredith - That sounds very satisfying. Which Schubert piece are you playing?

LegalBeagle - welcome back on track. I saw your post earlier and was going to tease you about being Awol from MOYD, but since you've "'fessed up", I won't.
Glad to see you joining us here in AOTW.

My AOTW..hmmm what is it? I suppose in a way it is getting over my obsession with Chopin and finding some balance. I am now working on refining the piece, but also starting up with some new music - (Mozart Theme and 3 Variations and Diabelli Bagatelle)There is also a Biabelli Andante in Bflat that has caught my attention and is going on my "play soon" list.
I did my recording for the ABF recital, but when I met with my teacher she suggested adding pedal to it so I'm going to work on that this week.
I guess my achievement was being able to put the expression I wanted into my recital piece (even without pedal).

Yesterday my teacher asked if I wanted to play in a recital in a few weeks - if it is on a night when I'm free, I plan to participate. I have to decide which pieces (2) to play. I'm thinking one will be a Kabalevsky waltz and the other Soft Shoe Blues from the last ABF recital.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by Eglantine
Today I've mastered a few ornaments (following Purcell's Rules for Graces), the LH ones only so far, and all the twiddly bits are vanquished.

I have the hardest time with ornaments (though ones in the right hand are becoming easier to pick up). I went through CPE Bach's treatise on them - talk about soporific. Hopefully Purcell's Rules for Graces is a more interesting read?

Andy, Purcell's Rules for Graces are reproduced in some Purcell editions, and also some editions (such as Stainer & Bell) by his contemporaries, such as Blow. There is a version of them in the IMSLP, in one of the two fat Purcell keyboard volumes (not a particularly good copy though).

All the versions I've seen are just one page: with 1/2 page description, and half page of table of half a dozen ornaments, which I think covers all of it as far as the music is concerned. So a lot less mammoth than some of the ornaments material produced by later Baroque peeps such as CPE.

It's just as well we have this, as the symbols/ornaments are different from later Baroque.

I've decided that this piece is the one where I'm going to go heck for leather on the ornaments - in part, because it's mainly crotchets that are ornamented - and make some progress on this front.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
Page 118 of 540 1 2 116 117 118 119 120 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission