2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by beet31425
[...]
Maybe getting a wide range of responses isn't a bad thing? Maybe the OP's intent was [...] "what does 'spiritual music' mean to different people here-- let's see the variety of results".

-J

Then, perhaps, he should have said so.

- "Deep River" is a spiritual.
- The fifth movement of Berlioz' "Symphonie fantastique" and Gluck's "Dance of the Blessed Spirits" are "spiritual" because they deal with spiritual beings (ghosts, witches, etc.).
- Maybe "The Entertainer" is spiritual to some because it lifts their spirits.

and

"The Concert Spirituel was one of the first public concert series in existence. The concerts began in Paris in 1725 and ended in 1790[...]The series was founded to provide entertainment during the Easter fortnight and on religious holidays when the other spectacles (the Paris Opera, Comédie-Française, and Comédie-Italienne) were closed. The programs featured a mixture of sacred choral works and virtuosic instrumental pieces."

So ...?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by beet31425
[...]
Maybe getting a wide range of responses isn't a bad thing? Maybe the OP's intent was [...] "what does 'spiritual music' mean to different people here-- let's see the variety of results".

-J

Then, perhaps, he should have said so.

- "Deep River" is a spiritual.
- The fifth movement of Berlioz' "Symphonie fantastique" and Gluck's "Dance of the Blessed Spirits" are "spiritual" because they deal with spiritual beings (ghosts, witches, etc.).
- Maybe "The Entertainer" is spiritual to some because it lifts their spirits.

So ...?

If you think it's a waste of time to post here, why do it?

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Who said it was a waste of time?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joel_W
Spiritual in the non-religious sense of the word.

I don't think you can define "spiritual" by saying what it is not. You need to be more precise by saying what you mean - if you know what you mean.

Or perhaps just look at my examples if you want a feel for what I mean.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Well, "So...?" seems to imply that you think it's a rather pointless topic. Though it may be pointless, this is a forum. We're here to talk about whatever comes to mind. It doesn't have to be dense subject matter.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F

Well, "So...?" seems to imply ...

Sorry...I hate to butt in, but "seems to imply"? I don't know what his/her (sorry...your name *seems* clear but I shouldn't wish to assume.. laugh ) intent with the "so" was, but, um...I'd hate to see someone anywhere from mortally offended to mildly affronted (yourself included...I mean, if s/he *did* mean as you say {which, I'm afraid to say, I'm not sure *was* the message}...well, then perhaps there might have been more tactful ways of putting it, but isn't it important to appreciate what others consider a "waste of time" and respect that? Maybe I'm wrong, but, um...we can't *all* be on board with *everything* and perhaps BruceD simply felt that his/her own opinion wasn't being represented enough and felt a tad chastised by your previous communications {as I'm sure both of you may have felt}...I mean, um, he came in to try and clarify "spiritual" which isn't truly, in and of itself, a bad thing {for people like Mark C}...and I don't mean to have a go at you laugh But...I don't know, it's hardly my place but I just feel it'd be *so* easy for everyone to get along all the time...fool's hope, I know laugh )...
And BruceD...pretty much the same to you...but the other way aroun...you know laugh Oh...and vagueness such as "so" breeds vague interpretation; people may fill in the blanks incorrectly if you're unclear...it's very...spiritual...
Sorry for sticking my oar in laugh
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
I almost forgot. The beginning of the Polonaise-fantasy and especially the end of the op. 49 Fantasy.

Hey, you want to mention the end of the the Fantasy but not the Lento Sostenuto middle section? smile

FSO #2020661 01/24/13 08:01 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by FSO
[...]Sorry for sticking my oar in laugh

Stick your oar wherever you like; it's a free forum.

The "So?" after some (facetious) examples, was an invitation to the OP to articulate his definition of "spiritual"; his examples don't clarify in any way to me what he means by the word.

A dialogue, discussion or even answers to the question don't seem to have any meaning when the term of reference is vague and possibly interpreted differently by many.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F

A dialogue, discussion or even answers to the question don't seem to have any meaning when the term of reference is vague and possibly interpreted differently by many.

You're talking about requiring a reference point...but with abstract nouns and emotions it's quite difficult...see, there's nothing we can *point* to when we make the sound "spiritual"...um...that's why we have to settle on vague awareness of what's meant...I mean, what's sadness *precisely*? Distilling away all possible definitions to exclude anger, other negative emotions...the necessity to *define* or be lost to confusion isn't strictly true...I mean, um, spiritual; relating to the spirit in some way...so, not physical or mental but this other...stuffness that fills in the invisible cracks...frankly I think anyone'd have a hard time depicting such a notion...but does it *really* matter if we're talking about different things, as long as we're in the right area? The conversation isn't meaningless, I don't think; we just all get a different interpretation...a bit like music...please, um, I'd love some counter-positions to think on. I agree that the first post was a *tad* brief, but such is the way of the internet and, progressively, the world, unfortunately; it's not really anyone's fault...I don't think.
X

I, on the other hand, am used to trying to answer questions without being clear what they are ha but it's better when they are. [Linked Image]

Originally Posted by FSO
....with abstract nouns and emotions it's quite difficult....that's why we have to settle on vague awareness of what's meant....I mean, what's sadness *precisely*?

Sadness, while complex, is a lot clearer than "spiritual."

P.S. Too many dots. grin

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Mark_C

...I agree... laugh

FSO #2020784 01/24/13 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by FSO

...I agree... laugh

Cool!
How about the "too many dots" part? grin

BTW, I do too many dots too.... ha

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F

How about the "too many dots" part? grin

But without my dots I'm...pointless... laugh

FSO #2020798 01/24/13 11:55 PM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FSO
[quote=Mark_C]

Don't you think there's a reason why I used "spiritual" rather than "sad"? If I meant sad, I would have said "sad".

So what if "spiritual" is vague.. it means whatever you take it to mean I guess. (even if it's complex sadness) wink

You misunderstood -- we didn't at all mean you might have said sad instead of spiritual. We were just talking about some words.

So what if "spiritual" is vague....

Maybe you're right, because heck, it looks like we do sort of know what you were asking about. grin

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
You misunderstood -- we didn't at all mean you might have said sad instead of spiritual. We were just talking about some words.

Whoops, my bad. I retract. I guess I should have read FSO's post first. It's just sort of difficult to read FSO's posts. (no offense) smile

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Sorry Joel, um, sadness was an example; I don't think anyone in the world considers spirituality and sadness to be congruent. Also, I agree with your lattermost point; I'm not truly a fan of clinicism (clinicalness doesn't give the accurate *feeling*, which I hold to be more important than accuracy) as it goes.
Xx
Edit: Sodding...intercepting...grr laugh No offence taken Joel; I know my manner is a tad opaque.

Last edited by FSO; 01/25/13 12:05 AM. Reason: Grr :D

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Chopin Polonaise Fantasie and Beethoven 111 have always been the most spiritual pieces to me..

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I find a lot of Debussy spiritual too.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

B
B
Originally Posted by FSO
[quote=Mark_C]

Don't you think there's a reason why I used "spiritual" rather than "sad"? If I meant sad, I would have said "sad".

So what if "spiritual" is vague.. it means whatever you take it to mean I guess. (even if it's complex sadness) wink

If you want spiritual, try 'spiritual minimalism', as exemplified by Arvo Pärt: Fratres for example, or for piano, Für Alina.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission