2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Or were they just based on dance forms but not intended to be danced to?

I'm talking about the French and English Suites and the Partitas.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/21/13 09:32 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I have never heard - or read anywhere - that the French Suites, the English Suites or the Partitas are anything other than idealized or abstract music, not meant for dancing. While the various Baroque suites may well have evolved from Renaissance dance forms that were used to accompany dancing, I can't imagine the works mentioned serving such a purpose.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I agree with Bruce. I think they're very similar in this respect to the Chopin Mazurkas. The Bach could be danced to, but it would require a rhythmically constrained performance of the music. BTW I have played Chopin mazurkas for dance things, and had to rhythmically constrain them. smile

Something that I think is relevant to keep in mind for a question like this is the differences between playing on a piano and on a harpsichord. On a harpsichord, I think the expressiveness depends more on rhythmic flexibility, because of the lesser dynamic flexibility. (We often think of rhythmic flexibility as a Romantic thing, but IMO that's mistaken.) If this is so, then it means that in order to play the Bach for dancing in his day (and in Bach's mind), even more of the usual expressiveness would need to be omitted than would be obvious to us pianists.

I'm answering only from what I consider the internal evidence of the music, not from what Bach or anyone else at the time said about this, which I don't know. Using only this approach, I think it would be harder to answer the same question about some other types of pieces, like the Chopin Waltzes. I don't know if those were "meant" to be danced to, but I think they could be without nearly the same degree of complication.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
You could always search out a copy of Dance and the Music of J S Bach.

Laissez tomber les mains
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The thought of dancing a Bach minuet to the crabby sound of an harpsichord (please note the educated “an” chaps) is more than this Cock Sparrow can stand.

Why not wait for later years ... and those jolly dance routines which Charles Dickens described so poignantly in his famous Pickwick Papers.

However, I prefer to sit on my backside
(bum in ghastly slang) and watch the TV cricket.

It's nice (positively grand) to be posh.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I wondered the same thing for a while, PL'us, until I ran across a copy of this at the li-bree:

Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
[...] Dance and the Music of J S Bach.

which said in the introduction pretty much what Bruce said, but with thicker diction.

Still can't find the "an" switch to my harpsichord, and so it remains "aff." Sorry, btb.

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
BruceD is absolutely correct, much akin to the Chopin Waltzes.

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
If I could only own one book on baroque performance practice, it would be this one. Every serious pianist should have a copy. It's excellent.

You could always search out a copy of Dance and the Music of J S Bach.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It would be incorrect to use the 'educated an' before harpsichord anyway. It should only be used before words beginning with H when the first syllable is unstressed.

Last edited by debrucey; 01/22/13 11:05 AM.
OP Offline
My question was prompted when I was thinking about some master classes last summer where Magdalena Baczewska was doing some demonstrations of the Sarabande for students who were playing some Bach. I guess it was just her way of making the students aware of what these dances looked like so they could have a better idea of how to interpret this music.

There is some Youtube series which shows each of the Baroque dances in great detail, but I forget it's name.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
I've read that about the Chopin Waltzes but I've also read that Chopin liked to improvise at dances so I wonder if there is some conflict in these two ideas?

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I can see it now, new reality show: So You Think You Can Sarabande...

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
I've read that about the Chopin Waltzes but I've also read that Chopin liked to improvise at dances so I wonder if there is some conflict in these two ideas?

Just a guess, but I believe there was definitely a divide between improvising at the dances and composing waltzes. He went to dances and improvised waltzes that were meant to be danced to, and he also composed his waltzes that we are familiar with, which were not really meant to be danced to.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by debrucey
It would be incorrect to use the 'educated an' before harpsichord anyway. It should only be used before words beginning with H when the first syllable is unstressed.
If you were in East End London 'an 'arpsichord' would be de rigueur.

Laissez tomber les mains

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Herr Bach is probably the danciest of the major composers. All his stuff has been endlessly choreographed, probably the most famous being Mr B's Concerto Barocco; plus most of the Brandenburgs. His comps are all off-the-ground as we say in the biz. He is as fresh and interesting as he was centuries ago. Almost everything he wrote could be successfully choreographed. And yes, I have the book and yes, I play something of his every day...on the job. And all of my principals describe those crappy TV dance shows as "hideous..."

Sounds absolutely right, and to me using the "an" where he did would be.....what to call it.....an affectation.
However, with btb's posts, I think we have to look at everything as a possible partial put-on, and I didn't think the "an" was any more of a possible put-on than 90% of the rest of what he says. ha

Plus....there's a fly in this ointment. smile

As I understand, there are some Brit dialects in which almost all initial h's are silent, and oddly also an initial vowel gets an h sound in front of it. Or maybe it's a caricature rather than an actual dialect, I'm not sure. Anyway the old joke goes:

"'Arrison!! I said my name's 'Arrison!!! A haitch, a hay, two har's, a hi, a hess, a ho, and a hen. 'Arrison!"

So....in that dialect, harpsichord would be pronounced 'arpsichord -- and it would get an "an." And if btb speaks that dialect (after all we don't know)....

Thank you very much. ha

I guess that's what I meant too, it just took me a little longer to say. grin

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

More likely to be "gas-lit maude" methinks.

Can anyone actually imagine Bach dancing? If he did he would be the classical equivalent of a break dancer....

OOOOh I say sir, have you seen mr.Bachs dance moves? His legs are moving in counterpoint to each other, quite difficult to master without the written choreography to hand.

a dance version of a fugue, Bach starts, legs akimbo, others join in later but by the time they get it , he is on to something more complex, left leg moving in twos, right leg flailing in threes.

Banned by the church as innapropriate for the ladies to observe on a sunday.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
I think we may be oversimplifying things just a bit. While Bach's dances weren't necessarily meant as accompaniment for dance, that doesn't mean the dances are irrelevant. I think the character and sense of motion for the dances matters very much and should be captured in performance, and I think knowing something about the dances is very useful for the pianist.

Just as a knowledge of ballet is extremely useful for understanding Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev. I think people grossly underestimate the influence of classical ballet on Prokofiev's piano sonatas, for example.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission