Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 218 of 239 < 1 2 ... 216 217 218 219 220 ... 238 239 >
Topic Options
#2020421 - 01/24/13 02:47 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Thanks the the wishes and musical offerings everybody! (Especially the Solace, Richard) I had a good day smile

Rossy, I asked BillyO, and as I suspected, he liked it because it sounds like Siouxsie. Not as good as Siouxsie, he says, but he likes it.

I also asked him about the steam punk stuff. If you're a reader, he says to check out "The Difference Engine" by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. He wasn't familiar with the music, but thinks the Sherlock Holmes movies of late have a steam punk "edge" to 'em.

Well, I'm off to enjoy my last day of freedom before the madness of two weeks of Mardi Gras with one week of Superbowl sandwiched in the middle. I would also like to thank the Atlanta Falcons for losing the playoffs so that we have no cities in the bowl within an easy day's driving distance, decreasing the amount of traffic grin I may check in later.

Some Yuja..

And some Astrud..

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2020971 - 01/25/13 08:10 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
AimeeO - Yuja is terrific - her fingers fly - but there are so many awesome pianists these days - I would guess however that she probably wears a tight red dress better than most... smile

Good to hear Astrud again - love that music - it's been a long time - that sounds like "A Day in the Life of a Fool"???

Trap

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2021129 - 01/25/13 01:39 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Hi TJ!

Yes, that's what's known here as "A Day in the Life of a Fool." In Brazil it's known as "Manhã de Carnaval" (or in English, "Morning of Carnival"). It cam from the movie Black Orpheus. From what I've read, it has a lot of versions of different lyrics.

The original version sung in Portuguese version is about someone looking forward to Carnaval (which seems to be way cooler than New Orleans' Mardi Gras) and hoping to find love. I like it because it's a gorgeous song and it never seems to be played around here during Mardi Gras.

Here's Tori Amos' version:

"A Day in the Life of a Fool" is about someone wandering around hoping to run into the one who left.

Here's Frank Sinatra singing "A Day in the Life of a Fool."

#2021139 - 01/25/13 01:55 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

I will hear these songs 7326786345698689798 billion times in the next 3 weeks, and another 656873687 times throughout the year. Enjoy smile

#2021266 - 01/25/13 05:16 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Evening!

I’ve realized I’ve never posted about “Zarzuela”, the Spanish operetta. It was an interesting genre of music, whose origin starts in the Baroque period, but reached its major popularity along the nineteenth century. Later, along the twentieth century, this genre became revue.

Here we can listen the prelude from “La Verbena de la Paloma” (Pigeon’s fair), one of the most popular zarzuelas, composed by Tomás Bretón. This recording was directed by Ataúlfo Argenta, a great conductor who dignified this genre of music.

I hope you like it.

My website

#2021512 - 01/26/13 06:03 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Morning guys and gals..... smile Anyone see this yesterday..... cool wink

Almost all audible sounds are bubble-like in nature, not wave-like, as is commonly believed.
If our eyes could see music, they would be bathed in scintillating, kaleidoscope-like patterns.

The Cymascope is an instrument that makes sound, or music, visible, creating detailed 3D impressions of sound or music vibrations. Here, the rapidly expanding sphere is captured in a frozen moment. The interior reveals a beautiful and complex structure representing the rich harmonic nature of violin music.
Music made visible, can be thought of as, analogs of music, because the geometry they contain is a mathematical correlate of the musical pitches and intervals that caused the pattern to form on the Cymascope membrane.

#2021736 - 01/26/13 04:12 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Griffin, you posting your, Jesus Will Survive - Jesus Christ! Video? Funny wink

#2021784 - 01/26/13 05:39 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs
Griffin, you posting your, Jesus Will Survive - Jesus Christ! Video? Funny wink

No way!!! laugh Be sure to check your pm.

Edited by griffin2417 (01/26/13 09:26 PM)

#2022042 - 01/27/13 08:35 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Happy Sunday, everybody.

It's a struggle at present to pull myself away from the piano. I've fallen behind on most of my pieces this week and haven't even bothered with Mendelssohn (plus I had week off from the SWW's the previous week) but by contrast I've played a wider variety of pieces than normal as I blow the dust off volumes by Clementi, CPE Bach and Scarlatti, up to the klavierstucke of Brahms.

We begin our usual foray into the world of the classical today with a beautiful piece by Carl Nielsen who wrote this overture while visiting Greece with his wife, who had interests there in the classical artwork. This, the Helios Overture, is inspired by a Greek sunrise.

#2022059 - 01/27/13 09:14 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The Nationalists, Grieg, Nielsen, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky and Russia's Mighty Handful et cetera dominated music after the Romantics and before the chromaticists.

This is the first movement of the second Symphony by Borodin, a gifted chemist and amateur musician, and is one of his most famous pieces. Its Russian character is hard to miss.

#2022077 - 01/27/13 09:47 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The last piece before our customary transatlantic leap is from Gottlieb Muffat, son of Georg.

It is from Georg Muffat that we learn of the existence of Corelli's Concerti Grossi as early as 1682, thirty-two years before they published. Muffat had his own newly penned concertos played through at Corelli's house when he stayed in Italy, learning the new Italian style at the keyboard from Pasquini. Muffat also had first hand experience of Lully's orchestral work from an earlier trip to Paris and it was his attempt to combine the two nationalist styles in his own works, along with the awareness of them being promoted in Germany by Telemann, Fischer, Kuhnau et al, that shaped Bach's musical style. Without Muffat music history would be a rather different story.

Here is a delightful chaconne played on harpsichord, intended as a welcome for Eglantine who has thus far only made a fleeting visit to announce her return. We will charitably assume she is as busy on her new Foster as I am on my new Kawai.

Over to you, Carl. My appetite is well whetted for your offerings this week.

#2022120 - 01/27/13 10:59 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
griffin2417 Offline

Excellent postings Richard!! I hope you are enjoying your new piano. I've been having trouble just squeezing in enough time on my piano this last week. However, I'll soon get some quality time at it later today.

Good morning everyone! My first selection will be the "Alleluia" from Vivaldi’s motet Clarae stellae, scintillate, RV625. The soloist is countertenor, Andreas Scholl.

Alleluia - Vivaldi

#2022129 - 01/27/13 11:13 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

Ridolfo Luigi Boccherini was an Italian classical era composer and cellist whose music retained a courtly and galante style while he matured somewhat apart from the major European musical centers, according to my notes. Boccherini is most widely known for one particular minuet from his String Quintet in E, Op. 11, No. 5 (G 275), and the Cello Concerto in B flat major (G 482).

I am more familiar with the Concerto In G Major for Cello and Orchestra G480. Here is Movement III, Allegro.

Boccherini - Concerto In G Major for Cello and Orchestra G480: III. Allegro

#2022135 - 01/27/13 11:25 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

My first introduction to the music of Arvo Part was a few years ago when I heard Spiegel im Spiegel on a local public radio program. Eventually, I bought an album of his works and discovered some of the beautiful choral works he has created. "Magnificat" is one of my favorite choral pieces from his album. This performance is by the Robert Shaw Festival Singers.

Edited by griffin2417 (01/27/13 12:55 PM)
Edit Reason: Clarity

#2022143 - 01/27/13 11:37 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

Get ready for a fanfare finish to my Sunday offerings!

"Fanfare for the Common Man" is a 20th-century American classical music work by American composer Aaron Copland. The piece was written in 1942 for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra under conductor Eugene Goossens. It has become widely used in a variety of musical productions in both the United States and United Kingdom.

This will be my final posting for today. However, be sure to check in later for Richard's Sunday finale to our classical postings. I'm looking forward to it! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Aaron Copland - Fanfare for the Common Man - Northumberland Brass

Back to you, Richard!!

Edited by griffin2417 (01/27/13 01:12 PM)

#2022198 - 01/27/13 01:31 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thank you, Griffin.

I was intrigued by the Northumberland Brass. Brass bands are a great tradition in the north of England; 's odd that these are a troupe from Charlotte and only 15 of them. The traditional British brass band is 28. I'm an ex-trumpeter so I know a little about this (though they use cornets, not trumpets, in brass bands).

We finish today's Sunday Classical with Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks.

There are many "pairs" in the course of music history from Bach and Handel, Haydn and Mozart, up to Debussy and Ravel, and Bruckner and Mahler but there are many differences between the two giants of the Baroque era.

They were not born far apart in either time or distance but the two never met, though Bach tried a couple of times to meet Handel it seems Handel wasn't concerned about meeting Bach.

Bach wrote for the glory of God and most of the music published in his lifetime was of a pedagogic nature. Even in his mighty St Matthew's Passion when writing for many voices he was fastidious in ensuring even the inner parts complied with the practise of his day of avoiding parallel fifths and octaves.

Handel on the other hand was a showman. He wrote nearly fifty operas and many oratorios. Even his fugues were showy compared to the strict discipline of Bach.

Bach was employed throughout his life by the church, the court or the city but Handel was a wealthy businessman and impresario. Even his Water Music and this Fireworks suite were showy and theatrical, written for grand and royal occasions. This was composed at the request of George II of Great Britain to celebrate the end of the War of the Austrian Succession.

Have a good week till next week.

#2023097 - 01/28/13 09:28 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Brilliant wayne, I have gone and read up on your post and will report back soon, Thanks bro,. I had a theory that has tied in with that and have held it for many years indeed.

My next post on my weekly big issue may well be called " reiki" OR "some folk will believe any BS" or even " How to earn a living from dishing out nowt" I am not quite sure what to call it, and ask for submissions from all concerned on RST.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#2023405 - 01/29/13 11:58 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Same here Rossy, the sound looks atom like, don't you think? I've spent a year and a bit thinking and reading about atoms, the universe, matter, positive/negative........ there's just so much to take in. But I'm finding it very enlightening wink

#2023423 - 01/29/13 12:33 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Recaredo, I liked the Zarzuela! Are most of them light and/or comedic? It was hard to discern from what I found online. I liked the cheerfulness of Pigeon's Fair.

Wayne, thanks for posting the Cymascope.

Richard, Griffin, great stuff as usual. Griffin, yours seem rather celebratory this week.. are you working on the soundtrack for your retirement?

Rossy, I looked up reiki. On reiki.org website, it says:

"An amazingly simple technique to learn, the ability to use Reiki is not taught in the usual sense, but is transferred to the student during a Reiki class. This ability is passed on during an "attunement" given by a Reiki master and allows the student to tap into an unlimited supply of "life force energy" to improve one's health and enhance the quality of life. "

This made me wonder about your beliefs in this and whether they would change if Milla or Helena were Reiki Masters.

I haven't heard this in ages. The Cardigans covering Iron Man. It works.

Edited by AimeeO (01/29/13 12:35 PM)

#2023466 - 01/29/13 01:46 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I wonder if Reiki's based on this?

#2023589 - 01/29/13 06:15 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

wink

#2023593 - 01/29/13 06:21 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

AimeeO, I forgot about the Cardigans, thnx, I like this one smile

#2023644 - 01/29/13 08:03 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

one last one lol wink

#2023717 - 01/29/13 10:39 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Valencia Offline

Hi everyone,

just wondering, is there anyone here who could listen to a potential ABF recital entry of mine and let me know if the quality of the recording is at least good enough that the entry won't be irritating to listeners? I have no around here to give a listen and don't trust my own ears on this (partly because I don't want to have to record it again because of severe red dot syndrome. however the recorder was on the poorest quality recording when I did the take which I only realized after the fact.) I'm just going for paper napkin, not linen, but perhaps it isn't even that.

btw the piece is rachmaninoff's prelude 32/12. it's a work in progress......the right hand is too loud through the beginning, my playing is uneven, and parts sounds rushed, even though the entire piece is still on the slow side. also the dynamics need attention. so...still needs lots of practice. like everything else I play. smile

i have the piece on box.net right now. just don't know how to give anyone on here access to it. does this work?

https://www.box.com/s/kww9l5thei74tr9u6u1o

#2023793 - 01/30/13 02:26 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Valencia]
griffin2417 Offline

I really enjoyed it. Thanks! smile

#2023815 - 01/30/13 04:01 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Glad you liked Pigeon’s Fair, Aimee. You’re right, most of Zarzuelas are based on light or comedic librettos.

Valencia, I loved your playing. Thanks for sharing your recording; but I think your great rendition deserves better sound quality. Just my two cents wink.

My website

#2024211 - 01/30/13 06:24 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Valencia Offline

Thanks so much Griffin and Recaredo for listening to my piece. smile I take it then it is passable but could be much better in terms of quality of the recording. I'll see what I can do. It might have to do as is for this recital, and for the next one maybe I can figure out a better way to record (like hooking up the digital right to the computer). The digital piano is old and not the best quality in terms of sound so it won't ever sound great. but somewhat better would be nice.

#2024315 - 01/30/13 10:32 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Valencia]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
Originally Posted By: Valencia
and for the next one maybe I can figure out a better way to record (like hooking up the digital right to the computer).

This is definitely your best bet.You should be able to get a recording similar to what you'd hear through a good set of headphones.You'll also lose the piano key noises.
Good effort on the piece, it's difficult.I have an ambition to play it one day.

#2024694 - 01/31/13 02:47 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Recaredo

Valencia, I loved your playing. Thanks for sharing your recording; but I think your great rendition deserves better sound quality. Just my two cents wink.

I agree, but good job smile

#2024828 - 01/31/13 06:22 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Where in the Cosmos is everyone? I'm just doing supper, got some gorgeous fillets from Morissons............ smile What ever next Pmsl wink

Page 218 of 239 < 1 2 ... 216 217 218 219 220 ... 238 239 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
109 registered (Anticlock, AndreiN, 31 invisible), 1161 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156826 Topics
2304330 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Goedkope Nike Free Run 2
by rstuvw780928
08/21/14 01:01 AM
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
08/20/14 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
08/20/14 11:45 PM
Molotov Cocktail Piano
by Robert W. Weber
08/20/14 11:38 PM
20 inch tablet for sheet music?
by Sand Tiger
08/20/14 11:04 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission