2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I understand waitlists for current students for a different time slot, but not a two year long waitlist for someone who isn't taking lessons! That is why I'd put it back on the family to check back in the fall.

Last edited by MaggieGirl; 01/25/13 01:56 PM.
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Dear Pushy Irvine Mom,

Many thanks for your interest in my piano teaching program for little Theodore. I regret I am unable to accommodate your Saturdays @ 9am needs. I hope you will find another local teacher who can help you.

Sincerely,
EZ

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I find all the conjecture and name-calling about this mother rather unfortunate.

We know absolutely nothing about her or her situation.

People are saying that the mother is pushy, trouble, etc. But it is very likely there is a reason(s) for her time requirement...perhaps a family or work or transportation situation requires 9:00 am Saturday.

My schedule only allows early morning doctor appointments, so maybe I too am pushy and trouble when my dentist or doctor wants to make an appointment for me. If my dentist insisted on a time slot I simply could not make, unless it was an emergency, then I too would hold firm.

The advice to simply put her on the waiting list is best, IMHO. She and her child could be wonderful. You just don't know right now.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by rocket88
I find all the conjecture and name-calling about this mother rather unfortunate.
We know absolutely nothing about her or her situation
... ... ...
The advice to simply put her on the waiting list is best, IMHO. She and her child could be wonderful. You just don't know right now.
+1

Du holde Kunst...
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
If she is happy to wait, consider that a complement, but do let her know you will keep her on a waiting list. Still, I'd suggest some other teachers as it's possible they may be able to accommodate her schedule.

Last edited by Morodiene; 01/25/13 06:49 PM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
The lesson you have learned from all this is never allow so many emails back and forth. You need to speak with her. In doing so, you may have asked her why that is her only available time. When I was a youngster that was my only available time and yet I had many, many hours in which to practice piano. It was a simple transportation issue related to my father's work.

However, you might offer her 6 am Saturday and she just might take it.

And regarding your current 9 am student, he may have been desiring the 11 am slot for some time now and been to afraid to tell you. So how can you know unless you ask?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My teacher asks everyone periodically (beginning of term, beginning of summer) if the lesson time is good or if we'd like a change.

Learner
P
P
Here would be my reply:

Dear Mom,

Unfortunately, I cannot accommodate your request for a 9:00 AM Saturday lesson time. As we have already discussed, lesson times are assigned on a first come, first serve basis, and slot has been filled for three years. At this time, the only slots available are x and y, so I would encourage you to see if you can work that into your schedule, and move into a more desired time as slots open up. Please call me at xxx xxx-xxxx if you have any questions or would like to join my studio's wait list. I look forward to your call.

Best wishes in your child's piano studies,
EZ

Children's piano instructor
Member NGPT, MTNA/TMTA/PMTA, NFMC/SJFMC
Pianoeagle, why "three years"? I don't think that this part is actually known. The last part "would like to join my studio's wait list" makes sense, since the mother has already indicated that she would like to join the waiting list. She can certainly reiterate that wish, to confirm.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org
Do you think the 9am student would want to move to 11?

This 9am student has been with me 3 years.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
P
P
I would just use the three years or however long it's been to reiterate the expectation that you can't expect the slot to open up within a couple weeks or months.

Children's piano instructor
Member NGPT, MTNA/TMTA/PMTA, NFMC/SJFMC
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoeagle
you can't expect the slot to open up within a couple weeks or months.

You can expect whatever you want. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
P
P
I do not believe this mother is going to wait years for the slot to open.
She either expects the teacher to free this slot for her, or just does not realize students may come at the same time for a decade smile

Last edited by personne; 01/27/13 09:27 PM.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
....so I would encourage you to see if you can work that into your schedule, and move into a more desired time as slots open up......

Tried this so many times to other parents, they usually agree to sign up right away even the time slot currently available is not the best one for them. Every beginning of the school year, I usually accept request from parents about their "best" time to have piano lesson and doing my best to accommodate everyone.
Parents sign up in the middle of year usually understand that current students have been in piano lesson since the beginning of the year and willing to wait for next school year for their best spot.
I did tried it this way with this new mom, it doesn't work out well, she is willing to wait "as long as it takes for a Saturday 9am slot".
I think a lot of you are right about if she is patient, that it is a compliment. Somehow, it doesn't sounds right to me..really? You will wait?
Maybe is just me.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
How can anyone know what his/her schedule will be on a Saturday morning 2 years from now in the first place?

Piano Teacher
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org
"I can wait as long as it takes. I only want Saturday 9am slot."

Why only 9 AM? That means that some other activity following that in her schedule is more important than the piano lesson. Probably soccer, or ballet class, etc.

It has been my experience that those who demand schedules be honored exactly on their own terms without compromise do not work out for long. I do not allow myself to be upset by such callers. To begin with, their priorities are wrong. When I was a student I was happy to meet my teacher on any terms and times they would allow - the lesson was all-important to me, overriding any other matter in my schedule.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...You can expect whatever you want. Doesn't mean it's going to happen..."

Learning to adjust our expectations is one of the great skills of a happy life.

Meanwhile, a parent with this attitude could still be waiting until the sun explodes before I would accept her into my studio.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 02/01/13 12:21 AM.

Clef

Originally Posted by Jeff Clef

Meanwhile, a parent with this attitude could still be waiting until the sun explodes before I would accept her into my studio.

WHAT attitude? The thing that bothers me is the interpretation and extrapolation. If someone says A, it means all these other things. A customer has said she is willing to go on a waiting list. This happens all the time. The extrapolation that is probably being made is that the parent is trying to pressure the teacher by saying "I can wait as long is it takes." The extrapolation is also that this parent has absolute freedom, is totally able to take any other time, but insists on having her own way and will be equally inflexible later on. But do we know that? It could be true. It could also be true that this person has weighed everything carefully, this works, and the person will also be equally careful in making sure her child practises, has a supportive environment for practising etc.

I get customers calling me all the time because my work is not long term with anyone. I have to weigh things. Recently I got a call from someone who I thought would be a "difficult, pushy" customer. She turned out to be sweet, grateful, and accommodating, but had been given such a run around that she had become ultra cautious and defensive by the time she got to me. It taught me a lesson in prejudgment.

Meanwhile as student I have been at the other end of second guessing. We have no idea what teachers have encountered with other students, and that anything we say or do will remind them of these experiences, making them add meaning. It is a very frustrating thing at that end.

M
M
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef

WHAT attitude? The thing that bothers me is the interpretation and extrapolation. If someone says A, it means all these other things. A customer has said she is willing to go on a waiting list. This happens all the time. The extrapolation that is probably being made is that the parent is trying to pressure the teacher by saying "I can wait as long is it takes." The extrapolation is also that this parent has absolute freedom, is totally able to take any other time, but insists on having her own way and will be equally inflexible later on. But do we know that? It could be true. It could also be true that this person has weighed everything carefully, this works, and the person will also be equally careful in making sure her child practises, has a supportive environment for practising etc.

I get customers calling me all the time because my work is not long term with anyone. I have to weigh things. Recently I got a call from someone who I thought would be a "difficult, pushy" customer. She turned out to be sweet, grateful, and accommodating, but had been given such a run around that she had become ultra cautious and defensive by the time she got to me. It taught me a lesson in prejudgment.

Meanwhile as student I have been at the other end of second guessing. We have no idea what teachers have encountered with other students, and that anything we say or do will remind them of these experiences, making them add meaning. It is a very frustrating thing at that end.

We really do not know, you are right. However, I've encountered enough of people who are demanding like this who end up treating me like I'm the "service/servant" rather than a highly educated professional hired to assist them in learning an instrument. I seem to recall that this is all through email, as well, and some people come across differently in email than they would over the phone. I always want to talk to the person on the phone and meet them before we even talk about schedules. That way I can really assess who I'm dealing with.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Morodiene

We really do not know, you are right. However, I've encountered enough of people who are demanding like this who end up treating me like I'm the "service/servant" rather than a highly educated professional hired to assist them in learning an instrument. I seem to recall that this is all through email, as well, and some people come across differently in email than they would over the phone. I always want to talk to the person on the phone and meet them before we even talk about schedules. That way I can really assess who I'm dealing with.

The e-mail part is a concern because there were many of them. We don't know how clearly either party wrote but when you have a lot of them it can be a sign of a "high maintenance" customer - you'll be discussing everything to death later on too. But the wish to go on a waiting list, and expressing the willingness to wait, in and of itself is not the sign of a bad attitude.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission