Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2019384 - 01/22/13 11:30 PM New set of piano duets for advanced pianists...
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe

Hello,

Remember me telling you about piano duets and the such? Well... the score is out now, and so is the recording (and the videos, and everything).

Presenting Piano Stories For Piano, 4 hands.

The score, in 40 pages, features 7 piano duets, for various difficult levels, but looking at more advanced techniques this time, unlike Sketch Music. Still it's once again illustrated by wonderful Piero Pierini, who, once more, did a great job (the cut off illustration is part of the score, above).

The music lasts a total of less than 16 minutes, so there's plenty to do, say, teach, show, appreciate, and enjoy. In a style that's mostly tonal, with a few twists, I think that this is as catchy as I can go in terms of 'classical music'!

For your pleasure (and promotion, etc grin), I've uploaded 3 videos, thus far, showing three of the works.

You can grab the score from the Editions Musica Ferrum webpage, but you can also get a bundle of 2 copies (since it's a duet, right?) with the second copy 66% off Over Here. In both links you will be able to preview multiple pages of the score.

The reasons I'm not currently offering all the movements/works through youtube are more than one. First of it's a huge load of work to be making these videos (especially since I'm the one making them), but also because the recording is up for sale in CDBaby, in digital distribution. So if you wish to pre-listen excerpts of all 7 movements/works, do follow This Link and have a go...

And here's your chance to see me in action, even if not solo... I'm tall, aren't I?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2019395 - 01/22/13 11:54 PM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Love these examples you played! What do you think the shipping is to the US?

#2019402 - 01/23/13 12:02 AM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Shipping would be less than 6$ (5.90something) for a single copy, and almost 8$ for two copies.

Thanks for enjoying the performances. It took us well over two months of rehearsals to get to that level (and we still could use some more work... and getting used to that particular Steinway, and getting videotaped)...

#2019408 - 01/23/13 12:17 AM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Will be ordering once payday rolls around . . . I may try to program them on my next duo/duet recital next year. smile

#2019410 - 01/23/13 12:19 AM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Brilliant!

I can promise you that it's a very exciting set of works! smile

#2020019 - 01/24/13 12:11 AM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Ok,

Sorry for the double post but I should mention something that I totally forgot, while it is important I think...

Since this a duet, I figured that people might have issues in practising at home alone. So along with my piano partner, Myrto Akrivou (the one in the videos), we went in my studio and recorded solo all our parts.

So if you go to here: http://ps.musica-ferrum.com and just enter your email (which I would never use to harm anyone, or share with anyone of course), you'll log into a special page, where all the parts, solo, etc, can be found, and downloaded for practice reasons.

It would make sense to actually hold the score in order to use this service, but in any case you here, being in PianoWorld and all that, are free to walk in there and grab the files... Do note that the files were digitally recorded, so the sound is not as realistic as in the videos. It would be very difficult to do this in a real acoustic piano...

#2020523 - 01/24/13 04:16 PM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Hi Nikolas
From scale of 1 to 10 (1 is young beginner and 10 is playing The Cat and Mouse by Aaron Copland), which number would you rate this set of duet?
I am asking because I want to know if I can pick this for CM test and which level it would be.
Thanks
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2020551 - 01/24/13 04:34 PM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Hi Ezpiano,

Hmmm... difficult question to be honest.

Each work has some easy parts and some more difficult parts and I'll break them down with an attempt to provide a number to your scale... You also need to remember that as a duet the parts might be of different difficulty level. Also keep in mind that my grading will be focused mostly on technical elements rather than musical ones... So I'm taking for granted that if someone can play the parts, then they will also have the musicality required.

1. If only he was carefree
Secondo: Level 3-4. Nothing too serious going on, with plenty of repeated patterns.
Primo: Level 4-5, melody that's in unison most of the time, BUT there are a few 16th notes in thirds, chromatically, which could prove a little more difficult, but again they are repeated. I'd say that there's only one bar to be a bit more problematic.

2. A rather innocent Incubus
Secondo: Level 2-3. Just the bass and basic chords pretty much. The ending is quarter notes.
Primo: Level 3-4. It's got octaves, but nothing else to create an issue

3. How to live in an underground home
Secondo: Level 4-5. Off beat staff, chords in difficult octaves, some melodic elements. Not too tricky I'd say but still...
Primo: Level 4-5. Melodic stuff, some fast triplets 16th notes passages that could need some work, but we're talking about single bars here. Trills and mordents.

4. The sparrow and a rainbow
Secondo: Level 5-6. Probably tricky one, because of the semi-fast 16th notes that need careful planning in the right hand.
Primo: Level 5-6. 7ptets in there, but make total sense. 5plets are more difficult to combine with the other pianist, but work well I think. Melodies in the left hand, with trills on the left.

5. Building light momentum
Secondo: Level 6-. One of the most tricky works. Fast paced, great rhythmic accuracy required, fast passages at hand...
Primo: Level 6-. Same as above

6. Meteor fight
Secondo: Level 7-8. The most difficult work from the set. The whole thing is based on syncopaded chords in the right hand, while the middle part of this work reminds of Ligeti in the right hand, with a very fast ostinato in the left.
Primo: Level 7-8. ditto as above, thick chords, great timing required, a 2 bar passage that needs big hands and fast fingers and 5plets all the way...

This is the most difficult work from the set by far.

7. An unfortunate dialogue, a fair dialogue
Secondo: Level 3-4. Just chords in regular time intervals. NOTHING else going on here.
Primo: Level 6-7. Plenty going on. In fact each pianist have their own title (this is why I put two titles above), and different instructions. The secondo just stays apathetic from anything, while the primo goes overboard with reactions and stuff, with plenty of complicated stuff, basically for the right hand alone...

I don't know if the above help. You can browse some of the pages here: http://www.musica-ferrum.com/catalog/viewitem.php?show=47 (if you click on 'preview' of course) so you should get a better idea of the scores. Also you can log in, with your email (you have to give your email for that, sorry) and get the solo parts, to listen more closely what's going on...

#2020552 - 01/24/13 04:35 PM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

And here's an extra video, the No. 7 I mentioned above

I've made the score of the primo visible, so that should also be helpful...

Thanks for asking EZpiano!

#2020839 - 01/25/13 12:36 AM New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Nikolas,

I only WISH I could make a piano sound that way -- either by writing, OR by touching the keys! I loved them all, but the "grove" toward the end of "Momentum" was really something special.

Ed

#2020857 - 01/25/13 01:38 AM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: ezpiano.org]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: ezpiano.org
I am asking because I want to know if I can pick this for CM test and which level it would be.

You can basically use any duet for CM. Since there are no duets listed in the CM Syllabus (maybe except for a few sets written for Friends of Today's Music), no evaluator will go out of his/her way to flunk your students for playing duet pieces that are too easy. Unless, of course, they are blatantly below the students' CM level (level-8 students playing level-3 pieces). You also have to realize that ensemble music might look easy, but playing together will require a lot more musicianship and ability.

Trust your own judgment when you see the music.

#2021073 - 01/25/13 11:36 AM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Quote:
(level-8 students playing level-3 pieces)

That is the thing that I want to avoid, that is why I ask Nikolas.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2021101 - 01/25/13 12:32 PM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

You should keep in mind that I'm no nothing of an official speaker for any kind of level/grade system. So my comments may be a bit off. I doubt they are hugely off, but...

In any case, you have the recordings, and preview of the pages, and parts of the score. I'd think that it'd be enough for you...

but since these are new pieces it would be good if you could hand a copy to the judges in the exams. Considering that you should need two copies (one for each pianist) while performing the second copy could be in the hands of the judge. wink

#2023370 - 01/29/13 10:23 AM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Here's the sixth movement/work from the set. This is, as posted previously the most difficult of the lot...

#2050616 - 03/19/13 03:11 AM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Ok,

I'm bumping this just in case piano teachers don't follow/visit the general PianoWorld forum...

This work (Piano Stories) won the 1st prize in the Second International Composition Competition.

For more check out the following press release:

Quote:
Greek Composer Nikolaos Sideris has won first prize in the 2nd International Composition Competition: "Artistes en Hebre". Supported by the Luxembourg Ministry of Culture, this prestigious competition attracted more than 220 entries from 17 countries.

The prolific composer won the Competition with "Piano Stories" - a piano work for four hands already published by Musica Ferrum, a publishing house which focuses on contemporary concert hall repertoire. The score is available worldwide in select music stores, as well as on Musica Ferrum's online platform.

Piano Stories will be performed in a Gala Concert, following the award ceremony, organized in collaboration with the Conservatory of Luxembourg City.

Nikolaos Sideris has also been invited to join the judging committee for the 2015 Artistes en Hebre Competition.

And because this was the perfect opportunity to share the whole work in youtube, here's a single video with all the movements in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvrqRpZ63w4

Thanks and... enjoy...

#2050671 - 03/19/13 07:21 AM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Congratulations!!!! [insert celebratory emoticon here, with fireworks and corks popping and stuff]

#2050690 - 03/19/13 08:22 AM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: currawong]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Congratulations Nikolas!
That's wonderful!

#2050721 - 03/19/13 09:50 AM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Fabulous! Congratulations!

#2050743 - 03/19/13 10:49 AM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Thank you all! smile I'm very very please (and seem stuck to keep repeating this over and over again! grin)

#2050785 - 03/19/13 11:56 AM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just placed my order!

#2050875 - 03/19/13 02:22 PM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Thanks Minniemay! smile Much obliged! I hope the score will reach you soon! smile And I really hope that you will enjoy going through its 40 pages! smile I know that there's one (1) thing that I'd like to change, but apart from that I think that the score is great... wink

Looking forward to all comments, feedback, etc you may have! smile

#2050896 - 03/19/13 02:58 PM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
If I were you I'd give a sample page or two from the score. Give maybe the first page, and then one that you think is one of the best in the work. You can post PDFs on your website and/or here on PW. That might improve your sales a lot. smile

Polyphonist

#2050911 - 03/19/13 03:07 PM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

polyphonist, and everyone: If you visit this link: http://www.musica-ferrum.com/catalog/viewitem.php?show=47 and click on 'preview' you'll get five (5) pages from the score. This applies to ALL the scores in our website, not just this one...

In fact, if you take into account that parts of the score are also available in the score, scrolling, I think there's enough information.

#2050922 - 03/19/13 03:18 PM Re: New set of piano duets for advanced pianists... [Re: Nikolas]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Thanks, I missed that. smile

Polyphonist

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (accordeur, AliAlkhiro, ajames, 36251, 50 invisible), 1674 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157248 Topics
2309586 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Plan on playing this Thursday night
by Visalia
09/02/14 06:16 PM
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
09/02/14 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
09/02/14 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
09/02/14 03:13 PM
Write melody contrapuntally
by kobethuy
09/02/14 03:03 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission