Originally Posted By: Morodiene
I've encountered enough of people who are demanding like this who end up treating me like I'm the "service/servant" rather than a highly educated professional hired to assist them in learning an instrument.

Exactly on point. This is a continuing problem - artists being regarded as an expendable amusement. I remember reading in Paderewski's autobiography that he challenged the habits of the wealthy Londoners who hired pianists to play in their salons (a genre now mostly vanished) by refusing to enter through the back door along with the cooks and cleaning staff, but instead enter through the front door with other honored guests - and this was after he was already a star. Previously, Liszt had to fight this fight good and hard.

There are those who think that educating children is, to play on words, childish. A matter of baby talk and brightly colored toys and crayons.

And this will never end - with each new generation we need to reassert the dignity of our profession, not only for our individual selves, but for the sake of our profession and many colleagues who we may not ever meet. Critics will inevitably accused us of being a bit too pompous or 'stuck-up', but that is inevitable - we must, to put it in commercial terms, "protect our brand" as well as our personal dignity.