Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
159 registered (accordeur, Anne'sson, ABC Vermonter, Anita Potter, activee, 40 invisible), 1693 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2020727 - 01/24/13 08:52 PM Transcribing software from CD audio/MIDI performance
skibum Offline

Loc: toronto
Hello,

I'm transcribing some Wynton Kelly piano solos and I'm trying to avoid pencil and manuscript if i can. With Soundtrack pro I've slowed it down to 50% and imported it into Garageband. It allows me to record my midi events and will make notation. The problem is the measures wander with time and the notation is a disaster. I've downloaded the Transcribe software and it doesn't record midi events. I need something that i can map analog measures to an AIFF or MP3 first of all, and secondly it has to be able to record my midi events and create notation.

Sibelius trial software didn't seem to do what i wanted and it's way too expensive.

Has anyone else transcribed jazz solos this way, with software?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2020808 - 01/24/13 11:31 PM Re: Transcribing software from CD audio/MIDI performance [Re: skibum]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I think picking out the pitches from an analog file is still an unsolved computer problem isn't it ? Several people claim their software does it but those I have tried fail in all but very simple examples. MIDI already has the pitches, and notation good enough to learn from can be produced by something like Garageband. Mind you, I have only tried it for stride transcriptions, whose rhythms are very regular. Like you, I found the occasional example which I could not sync with any Garageband options without producing a mess. In theory it should be pretty simple to have an option which did away with bars altogether and just printed unstemmed notes on a continuous time scale; that would be much better. I asked on forums but apparently it does not exist.

Edited by Ted (01/24/13 11:39 PM)

#2020809 - 01/24/13 11:37 PM Re: Transcribing software from CD audio/MIDI performance [Re: skibum]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
This software has been mentioned here before, but it is only an assistant; it won't do the whole job for you of course.

Music is my best friend.

#2021010 - 01/25/13 09:31 AM Re: Transcribing software from CD audio/MIDI performance [Re: Ted]
skibum Offline

Originally Posted By: Ted
I think picking out the pitches from an analog file is still an unsolved computer problem isn't it ? Several people claim their software does it but those I have tried fail in all but very simple examples. MIDI already has the pitches, and notation good enough to learn from can be produced by something like Garageband. Mind you, I have only tried it for stride transcriptions, whose rhythms are very regular. Like you, I found the occasional example which I could not sync with any Garageband options without producing a mess. In theory it should be pretty simple to have an option which did away with bars altogether and just printed unstemmed notes on a continuous time scale; that would be much better. I asked on forums but apparently it does not exist.

Hello Ted, Hello ChopinAddict, thanks for the reply.

The Transcribe software maps out all the pitches on a 'Piano Roll' which looks like an old fashioned marionette roll, it's really messy. but software can pick out the pitches but it also picks up the upper harmonics. The strong pitch tones have a bold colour, the harmonics have a faint colour. that being said... drums have pitch, and that's scattered in the Transcribe software Piano Roll as well. Transcribe has a handy EQ that is real time. But Transcribe doesn't not conver MIDI into notes, it doesn't record MIDI, it just allows you to figure it out so you can put pencil to manuscript.

Last night i printed out a test and it seemed to be sort of OK, at least it's something that i can clean up.
Garage Band notation example LINK HERE

in GarageBand there is a link to update and another link to learn about LOGIC, which makes me believe that it must be the better version of GarageBand... ??? so surely it would do what i want? LOL.

A friend from Yamaha Canada just told me she uses FINALE to do this kind of thing but like Sibelius it's $600 ouch!

There is a lite version of Finale called PRINT MUSIC which is around $100.

Roland has new software as well, but you know... i think a person could spend $$$ thousands on software only to come back to GarageBand. LOL.

I think the key might be to chop up the analog recording into pieces and make it fit the computer metronome so the measures line up.

have a great day!

Edited by skibum (01/25/13 09:34 AM)

#2021089 - 01/25/13 12:04 PM Re: Transcribing software from CD audio/MIDI performance [Re: skibum]
skibum Offline

Well, the best i can do is import a music track that is slowed down by 50% (soundtrack pro), and then with Garageband I can cut the performance to try to match up beat 1 of the track audio to the measures in Garageband, but that brings up the whole wandering tempo problem of needing to have it at 76bpm for a few measures then 77, then 76, etc...
There is a flextime in GB but it doesn't work the way a regualar non linear editor would work.
Herky Jerky speed a track up and then have to cut out the excess, cut and paste. dern computer metronome.

Possibly the answer is in the GB forums on the apple discussion groups.... it's soo close to almost doing exactly what I want!!! just a bit convoluted LOL!!

have a great day folks.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
12/22/14 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
12/22/14 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
12/22/14 04:34 PM
Is this now real enough?
by Philip_Johnston
12/22/14 04:21 PM
Quick question
by Phil Greenough
12/22/14 03:51 PM
Forum Stats
77396 Members
42 Forums
160065 Topics
2350596 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission