2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Mark_C Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
(I know it should be "did," but y'know, when something lives on youtube or on any recording, it goes on forever.) smile

Chopin's A-flat Polonaise came up on another thread and it made me look back at some videos of it. One of them was this Horowitz performance. I had heard at least a couple of his recordings of the piece many times before, probably including this one -- but had never noticed this. You could say he's "cheating"; I think it's an example of his pianistic genius.

In general I don't think there's anything inherently wrong about such things. I think they can be very creative and wonderful; it all depends. My old teacher Seymour Bernstein felt likewise despite liking to call them "swindles" (with a smile), and enjoyed showing us 'swindles' he had come up with. And I had read (never exactly observed) that Horowitz was a master of knowing when he could leave out notes because the ear would fill them in.

Check out what he does with the left hand near the end of all the octave runs. smile
(at 1:10, 1:48, 3:07, and 6:31)

I hadn't ever HEARD the omissions, and never would have if not that I saw on the video what he was doing and then went back repeatedly to listen for it.

Obviously it's not because he "couldn't" play the left hand scale as written; he's doing it for effect. At first I thought it was just to be able to play the top note more brilliantly, but then I realized that it seemed like more than that: the interruption of the left hand enables a more brilliant crescendo to the top, via that sudden draw-down of the dynamic before the last few notes. IMO it works terrifically.

I'm sure that some people would think this is an atrocity. What do you all think of it?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Noticed that a long time ago. Pretty funny trick, eh? smile

(I'm pretty sure that would get you disqualified at ANY competition.. but hey, he's Horowitz..)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It's part of his genius. smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Joel_W
(I'm pretty sure that would get you disqualified at ANY competition.....

Hopefully not!

Maybe it would just make half of the jury walk out in disgust. Which half, though, would be up for grabs. ha

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark_C
(I'm pretty sure that would get you disqualified at ANY competition.....

Hopefully not!

Maybe it would just make half of the jury walk out in disgust. Which half, though, would be up for grabs. ha

Or maybe they would ring the bell? laugh

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Noticed that a long time ago. Pretty funny trick, eh? smile

(I'm pretty sure that would get you disqualified at ANY competition.. but hey, he's Horowitz..)

Competitions most of the times aren't about the number of right notes you play whilst you perform.

J
J
The Master was quite elderly-I saw this performance in Russia (on tv, of course). I think he was just conserving his left hand strength. Anyone that plays op. 53 knows it's a left hand workout. You should listen to an exposition from his earlier years: flawless, and at an incredible pace. As much as I love his playing, though, I must admit I never cared much for his rendering of Chopin's works.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by jdott
The Master was quite elderly-I saw this performance in Russia (on tv, of course). I think he was just conserving his left hand strength....

Pardon my putting it this way, but that's total nonsense.

BTW, in the interest of fairness and balance grin ....let's hear from anyone who might disagree -- i.e. who thinks the reason Horowitz did it had anything to do with conserving his LH strength, or that it was for any other reason but the noted musical purposes.

P.S. Welcome to the site! Don't worry if people disagree with you sometimes. smile

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Most of us couldn't afford a ticket to go and see Horowitz play live when he was alife, particularly as close as the camera filming his fingers, but we can afford to click on youtube and see it for free and critique his playing.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Michael_99
Most of us couldn't afford a ticket to go and see Horowitz play live when he was alive, particularly as close as the camera filming his fingers, but we can afford to click on youtube and see it for free and critique his playing.

I did hear him live, and couldn't tell a thing. ha

I was in too much in a daze.

The main thing I noticed (the first time), as soon as he walked out, was....he was so little! (He wasn't really "little" but he was little compared to this huge image I had of him.)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
5'9" is not so little... smile But I know what you are saying. He was a GIANT in his art.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Some of his quotes (at the bottom of the page) as well as other quick facts about his life.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
5'9" is not so little... smile But I know what you are saying. He was a GIANT in his art.

Besides that I don't think he was really quite 5'9" smile he was wiry in a way that made him look quite slight. But yes -- the main thing was what you just said, plus that his image was of something even huger than that. And, the main direct representation of him that I'd had was his recordings, which gave me an impression of him being massive.

M
M
"Perfection itself is imperfection." I really like this one. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Morodiene
"Perfection itself is imperfection." I really like this one. smile

Most of us have good reason to love it. ha

J
J
My opinion is based on earlier performances, and his live performance of Rach op 30 in (I believe it was) 1978, in which there were numerous mistakes, some pretty glaring. The video of the Op 53 is several years later. No offense taken; we all have an opinion.

J
J
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Some of his quotes (at the bottom of the page) as well as other quick facts about his life.

very interesting! thanks for that

Essex EUP-123S

M
M
The video of the Op 53 is several years later. No offense taken; we all have an opinion.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by jdott
The Master was quite elderly-I saw this performance in Russia (on tv, of course). I think he was just conserving his left hand strength....

Pardon my putting it this way, but that's total nonsense.

Of course, we're all entitled to our opinions - but in reality, we'll never know Horowitz's motivation for doing this.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by carey
Of course, we're all entitled to our opinions - but in reality, we'll never know Horowitz's motivation for doing this.

Maybe, but I have no doubt. smile

And I'd guess (with doubt, however) ha ....that you don't either, at least broadly.

I have no doubt that he did it for effect. (And I said what I thought the effect was, but never mind.) grin
Do you doubt that? Do you think there's any possibility he left out a few of the last few notes of a left hand scale to conserve strength, or any other such thing?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission