Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2020705 - 01/24/13 08:31 PM Ruth Laredo, Ravel La Valse (solo piano)
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
DAAAAAAAAAAAANG.

Easily the best performance (in my opinion) I've ever heard of the solo piano version of La Valse!! This is unbelievable playing. I need to listen to more of her playing. Anybody here a Ruth Laredo fan? What do you recommend that I listen to?

EDIT: Fixed the ending smile

Edited by Orange Soda King (01/25/13 01:51 AM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2020711 - 01/24/13 08:36 PM Re: Ruth Laredo, Ravel La Valse (solo piano) [Re: Orange Soda King]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
As you know, Soda, I'm a Laredo fan and have been for years. Her LaValse is THE LaValse for me. Recommendations? Her Rach (she's buried only a few feet away from him) is what brought her fame and success as well as her Scriabin (she was the first person to record the complete sonatas).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2020716 - 01/24/13 08:40 PM Re: Ruth Laredo, Ravel La Valse (solo piano) [Re: Orange Soda King]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Great!! I'll definitely dig into those. Interesting facts, too, I should also read up about her. Thanks smile

And thanks for telling me a while back about her La Valse in the first place smile

#2020724 - 01/24/13 08:49 PM Re: Ruth Laredo, Ravel La Valse (solo piano) [Re: Orange Soda King]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, I certainly remember her from her Scriabin recordings in the '70s -- and, you have to remember, Scriabin was really not well known or understood at that time. Quite frankly, he was positioned as the "Prince of Darkness" because of his creepy later music. Ruth Laredo not only introduced him, but also "explained" him to a larger group of classical music listeners. I always loved the way she could capture the melting lyricism in his early Sonatas, but also the logic in his later efforts. I never heard her subsequent efforts in behalf of Rachmaninoff (and apparently, Ravel), but I'm sure that she had similar riveting opinions. and the chops to deliver it, to new audiences.

#2020733 - 01/24/13 09:01 PM Re: Ruth Laredo, Ravel La Valse (solo piano) [Re: Orange Soda King]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Stupendous!

Agree with Tim above. And the LP covers to her Scriabin sonatas were certainly geared to the post-'Summer of Love' acid crowd. (Scriabin -I might think- would be second only to Bach and Wagner on acid.)

Although I doubt Laredo ever attempted to cross swords with Horowitz in the 10th sonata...

#2020737 - 01/24/13 09:06 PM Re: Ruth Laredo, Ravel La Valse (solo piano) [Re: Orange Soda King]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I heard her in two concerts and a master class a few years before her death. The recitals were at Mannes and Trinity Church in lower Manhattan. At the Mannes recital she played La Valse and at Trinity she played mostly American music including the Barber Sonata and Confrey's Kitten on the Keys.

#2020759 - 01/24/13 09:51 PM Re: Ruth Laredo, Ravel La Valse (solo piano) [Re: Orange Soda King]
vers la flan Offline

Thanks for the post. I'd recently heard a Berezovsky rendition from a rather peculiar recital in Belgrade which was utterly unrecognizable in sections, so this was a good way to rinse that out with a fresh take. Although is it just my computer or does the video seems to cut out right before the end?

#2020835 - 01/25/13 12:27 AM Re: Ruth Laredo, Ravel La Valse (solo piano) [Re: Orange Soda King]
didyougethathing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
My favorite performance of the solo version. So much clarity, so playful! This is an arrangement that can easily spiral out of control (in a bad way) for performers, but Laredo's take holds everything together while maintaining the "demented" feel of the piece. I don't own this recording but have heard in numerous times and loved it. Why does the video cut off before the end though?! I would argue the climax of the piece is the chord in the penultimate measure!

#2020859 - 01/25/13 01:44 AM Re: Ruth Laredo, Ravel La Valse (solo piano) [Re: Orange Soda King]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Sorry about that, video messed up, I found out the problem. I am re-uploading now.

EDIT: Re-uploaded. Check the original post again.

Edited by Orange Soda King (01/25/13 01:54 AM)

#2020901 - 01/25/13 04:33 AM Re: Ruth Laredo, Ravel La Valse (solo piano) [Re: didyougethathing]
vers la flan Offline

didyougetthathing: How are you? I'd argue that to leave out the cheeky nod to Dies Irae at the end would be a substantial thematic omission.

OSK: Video seems to work fine for me now. Thanks!

#2021025 - 01/25/13 10:09 AM Re: Ruth Laredo, Ravel La Valse (solo piano) [Re: Orange Soda King]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
DAAAAAAAAAAAANG.Anybody here a Ruth Laredo fan? What do you recommend that I listen to?

I've got several CD's of her playing most of Rachmaninoff's shorter pieces. I think her playing is wonderful!

Deborah

#2021121 - 01/25/13 01:27 PM Re: Ruth Laredo, Ravel La Valse (solo piano) [Re: Orange Soda King]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Laredo has also edited, for Peters, the complete Rachmaninoff Preludes in two volumes :

P66900 : Ten Preludes, Op 23 and Prelude Op 3, No 2
P66901 : Thirteen Preludes, Op 32.

Regards,

#2021126 - 01/25/13 01:32 PM Re: Ruth Laredo, Ravel La Valse (solo piano) [Re: Orange Soda King]
didyougethathing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Sorry about that, video messed up, I found out the problem. I am re-uploading now.

EDIT: Re-uploaded. Check the original post again.

Thanks!

#2021219 - 01/25/13 04:23 PM Re: Ruth Laredo, Ravel La Valse (solo piano) [Re: BruceD]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Originally Posted By: BruceD
Laredo has also edited, for Peters, the complete Rachmaninoff Preludes in two volumes :

Regards,

I have them both, a fine edition it is. Very different from the old Warner I was using. (Doesn't it seem odd that Warner Bros. have the rights to so much Rachmaninoff?)

#2021346 - 01/25/13 07:59 PM Re: Ruth Laredo, Ravel La Valse (solo piano) [Re: jeffreyjones]
AldenH Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones
Originally Posted By: BruceD

Regards,

I have them both, a fine edition it is. Very different from the old Warner I was using. (Doesn't it seem odd that Warner Bros. have the rights to so much Rachmaninoff?)

There are some pretty Looney Tunes in there!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
77 registered (anotherscott, Al LaPorte, AndrewJCW, barbaram, 36251, 19 invisible), 1464 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156299 Topics
2295468 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission