Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 23 of 23 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23
Topic Options
#2052239 - 03/22/13 02:19 AM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: theJourney]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: theJourney
That's exactly the point I am trying to make.

And the point I am making is that rough handling from various shipping agents is not the same as taking your own board to a gig.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2052247 - 03/22/13 02:48 AM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: Kawai James]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: Kawai James
... rough handling from various shipping agents is not the same as taking your own board to a gig.

Sadly, based on the posts on this forum, the risk of buying a dp and receiving a damaged in transit, unusable instrument appears to be infinitely higher for Kawai than from Yamaha, Roland, Nord, Casio or Korg, etc. who, just as 99.9% of all manufacturers of electronics, seem to have figured out how to design, manufacture and properly secure and package their products to withstand "rough handling from various shipping agents." After all, it is not rocket science.

I would think that Kawai would want to do at least as good of a job for her customers as Yamaha et. al. and actually solve long-standing problems rather than just entering into unhelpful, pedantic debates, making excuses and time and time again typing "I'm sorry, contact your dealer and/or Kawai America/Europe/etc. for a replacement or repair" on a daily or weekly basis on a public forum. It can't be cheap for Kawai or for her independent distributors and dealers to have to waste so much money on after sales service repairing and replacing all the damaged in transit products.

If I were considering buying a dp from one of the major manufacturers, having to spend weeks or months to finally get a working model might be seen as a nuisance. However, when the dp is later damaged when being transported by the user, then the risk and responsibility for the costs of repair might be placed on the shoulders of the customer. That risk and the potential costs would seem to be very high. And, that is perhaps the most important to consider difference between damage in one-time shipping in factory sealed boxes and damage in transport to regular gigs.

#2052248 - 03/22/13 02:52 AM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: davinwv]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

theJourney, as always, thank you for your useful feedback.

Have a great weekend mate.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2052266 - 03/22/13 04:27 AM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: theJourney]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
The Journey, I own an ES7 and I must say it was perfectly packaged and damage free (well, a little scratch in the lcd display, which had no plastic stick coverage).
As I posted before, international shipping is everything but safe. Kawai has to make sure, up to a point, that their packages work fine under average conditions, beyond that it's up to assurance companies to cover the shipping damages, and those companies exist for some reason.
But perhaps there's even more risk of damages when the vans/beers come into place.
Now, if you prefer to keep on with your crussade...:)

Edited by mabraman (03/22/13 04:28 AM)

#2052281 - 03/22/13 05:36 AM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: mabraman]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: mabraman
The Journey, I own an ES7 and I must say it was perfectly packaged and damage free (well, a little scratch in the lcd display, which had no plastic stick coverage).

I rest my case. smile

Who ships lcd displays without the ubiquitous protective plastic stickers?

#2052375 - 03/22/13 10:02 AM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: theJourney]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: theJourney
Originally Posted By: mabraman

I rest my case. smile

Who ships lcd displays without the ubiquitous protective plastic stickers?

I'm willing to bet, long distance, based on my experience, and others on here with Kawai, that in fact there is a plastic clear cover on the display, and that the scratch is also in fact on that clear cover. The cover is usually so precisely attached and clear that it is not at all obvious it is there in the first place.

#2052379 - 03/22/13 10:14 AM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: davinwv]
mabraman Offline

I'd swear the sticker is not there, as it's a deep scratch (enough to feel it with a nail) but anyway, who cares. If you say it's not a scratch I won't argue that, and I'll live a day more.

#2052388 - 03/22/13 10:38 AM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: davinwv]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Yes, the LCD should have a protective cover attached. Many customers do not realise that it's there, so we began adding an explanation note to the owner's manuals.

Cheers,
James
x

#2052406 - 03/22/13 11:22 AM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: davinwv]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
@mabraman

At first I didn't notice the protective plastic on the display either; apart from the fact that the display looked a little 'blurred'. However I found out that all new Kawai's are shipped with this plastic protective cover. So either it's still there, or yours didn't come with the protective sticker, which is odd...

#2052541 - 03/22/13 03:15 PM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: davinwv]
airdis Offline

First post, but FWIW, I received my VPC1 a couple of weeks ago, and while the box itself had a bash or two in shipping, the VPC1 itself was perfect, and packed well.

And in answer to an earlier issue - my damper pedal certainly does send partial pedaling messages.

It's a wonderful keyboard; I can't recall being this content with a music purchase in many, many years. I wrote a review for Sweetwater's site where I said that because I bought it sight unseen, I was a little nervous when it arrived - not quite buyer's remorse, but worried that I might have. Within five minutes, all I could think was "Wow... I am going to spend SO many hours sitting in front of this..."

-Simon

#2052546 - 03/22/13 03:26 PM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: davinwv]
mabraman Offline

Jesus! It had no sticker. I swear it!
In fact, some days after purchasing it, I went to the store (nothing to do with this, I'm not that bad smile ) and tactfuly told so to the salesman (well, not that sweetly, I actually asked him if the DP I had purchased was brand new, cause it had a scratch, so maybe I'm that bad), who in a condescendent way asked me: didn't you realize that I unpacked it for you to test? And yes, he did.
So...perhaps there was no sticker or perhaps it wasn't so new. Who cares, now. It works well, and the salesman was stronger than me.

#2052700 - 03/22/13 08:09 PM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: davinwv]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

airdis, many thanks for your positive feedback - it's always great to hear from end users.

Cheers,
James
x

#2053463 - 03/24/13 12:36 PM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: davinwv]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@Airdis; is the RM3-II keyboard in the VPC nice AND quiet ?!

Since the VPC seems to be basically the MP10 cabinet stripped of all extra's , I can imagine it may be a little empty inside compared to the MP. When stuffed with some acoustic damping material ; no problem. But when left 'open' - I can imagine it could become sort of a resonating body for the mechanical key noise. I assume this is NOT the case and all is well, but nevertheless I wondered how you perceive the keybed noise, since you're one of the first owners around. Hope the RM3-II is still one of the quietest keybeds around, also in the VPC cabinet.

BTW what software are you using with your VPC ?

#2054033 - 03/25/13 01:51 PM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: davinwv]
airdis Offline

JFP - there's a good, satisfying thump. And it's solid, there's no resonance at all in the body of the unit. It's certainly no louder than any other weighted keyboard I've played (and quieter than a few). Best I can describe it is "consistent". Nothing mismatches. The keybed feels and sounds exactly how I hoped it to feel and sound - an admittedly subjective judgement if ever there was one smile

RE: software, I'd been previously using the Native Instruments Komplete pianos, along with some more specialized libs like Imperfect Samples Braunschweig, and Soundiron's Emotional Piano. But I was curious to try one that used the custom touch curves in the VPC. I downloaded the trial of Pianoteq, which I'd never used before - I guess I'd shied away from the concept of modeled pianos in favor of the multi-gigabyte sampled ones. And as soon as I loaded up their Blüthner model, something just went "click - that's the one!". So I bought Pianoteq with the Blüthner expansion, and I've been using that 90% of the time. It's possible that one of the huge sample pianos like Ivory might beat it on pure sound (and I may try that in the future) but I'm finding Pianoteq just immensely "playable". And I like the speed of using it - pretty much "click, start playing", rather than navigating through Komplete libraries and waiting for some massive sample set to load.

#2054112 - 03/25/13 04:42 PM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: davinwv]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the info. Postponed my purchase till after Frankfurter Messe ; you never know...

Then I'll probably get a VPC anyway. I was thinking for the Blüthner as well, since I already have Pianoteq. NI is part of the collection too, but for touch / sound connection I guess Pianoteq will win. We'll see...

#2054117 - 03/25/13 04:50 PM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: JFP]
Marko in Boston Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
JFP, you think Kawai will roll out a MP6 or 10 update at Frankfurter Messe or NAMM summer in Nashville? That would be worth the wait.

#2054150 - 03/25/13 05:38 PM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: davinwv]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No - not particularly - I'm just curious to what will show up of any brand. Perhaps nothing , or only minor stuff, perhaps something interesting. And since it's only a few weeks wait , that'll will be possible to bridge (hardly).

Edited by JFP (03/25/13 05:38 PM)

#2054155 - 03/25/13 05:48 PM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: JFP]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU

Are You planning to visit die Musikmesse in Frankfurt, JFP?

#2058705 - 04/03/13 12:56 PM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: davinwv]
dr.dai phan Offline

Hello all,

I ordered the VPC1 and I am currently third in line to get it. I live in the US and I could find only two places that sell them. One is Kraft Music and the other is Sweetwater. Anyone knows of any other online retailers? I will be using the Yamaha Tyros 4 to back up the piano track as well as using it as the audio interface. I am still deciding what virtual piano program to get although I have heard the Pianoteq is a good one. DP

#2058768 - 04/03/13 03:05 PM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: dr.dai phan]
Thomas B Offline

Hi Dai,

it's really personal preference whether you like one virtual piano or the other.

Pianoteq is free to try - just download the trial and see if you like it. The big sample libraries are normally not that easy to try out and compare. I used http://www.try-sound.com. They offer the most known libraries like the Galaxy instruments, Synthogy Ivory and Vienna Imperial. The latency does not let you really "play" the instrument, but it gives you a good impression on sound, character, resonance, etc.

Thomas

Edited by Thomas B (04/03/13 03:06 PM)

#2058933 - 04/03/13 10:44 PM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: dr.dai phan]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Hello dr.dai phan,

Originally Posted By: dr.dai phan
Hello all,

I ordered the VPC1 and I am currently third in line to get it. I live in the US and I could find only two places that sell them. One is Kraft Music and the other is Sweetwater. Anyone knows of any other online retailers?

Of the larger internet retailers, I believe the VPC1 is currently only available from Kraft Music and Sweetwater, however there may also be some smaller independent retailers that carry this new model. My recommendation would be to contact Kawai America to double check the availability of this product.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2059099 - 04/04/13 08:14 AM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: davinwv]
dr.dai phan Offline

Hello all,

If the VPC1 sells well, I am sure other piano makers will jump on this and it will drive the cost down. I wish Kawai does not use the name VPC1 because number 1 means number 2 will follow and already, I feel the VPC1 is "dated".I wonder why other big retailers online does not carry this item as so far, both retailers are on back order. DP

#2059132 - 04/04/13 09:00 AM Re: Kawai VPC [Re: Kawai James]
dr.dai phan Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Fantastic clip of keyboard legend Jordan Rudess playing the VPC1 (and Ivory II) at the Synthogy booth:

I think you can see the extent of the 'curved' surface quite clearly in this clip.

Cheers,
James
x

I wish the top is made flat as that will be easier to put lab top or a mouse pad. DP

Page 23 of 23 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
167 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, accordeur, 36251, 52 invisible), 1929 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75495 Members
42 Forums
156103 Topics
2292363 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Korg Triton>midi>us
b>lightning to usb>iPad mini>Garageband

by SilentMHP
Today at 04:54 PM
Pianist Martin Malmgren Performing in Helsinki
by Piano World
Today at 04:25 PM
In need for that screaming, dirty, funky, rhodes sound
by Thomas B
Today at 03:36 PM
Godowsky - Prelude and Fugue for left hand alone
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:50 PM
piano player wanted...
by David Farley
Today at 02:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission