2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
TimC007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Does anyone rate the Ritmuller GP212R1 Grand Piano as a professional recital piano?

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I don't.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Do you mean the GH212R?

This one: http://www.ritmullerusa.com/Ritmuller_Update/Grand_Style_Sheets/Grands/Ritmuller-GH212R.pdf

I've heard very good reports about these pianos. They have Renner hammers and are designed by a very well regarded designer in Lothar Thomma. They may not be in the same class as pianos that cost twice or 3 times the price, but they offer a tremendous amount for the price. They are respectable instrument for a professional recital in a smaller hall.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
GP 212R1 must be an older model before Lothar Thomma designed the current 7' grand GH 212R

The GH 212R is a formidable performance piano and was chosen by San Francisco's highly respected Freight and Salvage Coffee House, an international performance venue.
http://thefreight.org/

The piano there was chosen over another [highly prestigious...] brand involving the votes by a number of artists.

Very same model is right now the flagship at Ritmüllers exhibit at the 2013 NAMM show in Anaheim.

Early reports indicate piano is getting a lot of attention from early on in show.

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 01/24/13 10:33 PM.

T
TimC007 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks you guys for your excellent posts. I am Head of Performing Arts in KL, Malaysia.

Is the Ritmuller GP212R1 a Chinese copy or are they all made there?

What is the difference between the Ritmuller GP212R1 and Ritmuller GH 212R?

When was the GP212R1 made?

I have also been offered a re-conditioned Kawai CA-60 and Kawai NX-40A for the same money (about £10K UKP).

Any help would be fantastic and I need to buy a Grand in Maslaysia in the next month or so.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited by TimC007; 01/25/13 09:12 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Tim,

The difficulty of your question is that responses here are mostly going to come from members in countries where the GP212RI is not offered. Pearl River, like most large piano makers, focuses on selecting product lines for specific markets and is somewhat inconsistent in the branding names used for those products in different countries.

The GP212RI is not in the Pearl River lineup offered in North America. It is not an older model. It is simply not offered here. The marketing focus from Pearl River for this product appears to be on Asia and Eastern Europe, including Russia.

The specs of the GP212RI seem promising (although the company does not specify the soundboard type). Natural competition for this piano in KL would probably be the various Sejung and Hailun products offered by different branches of the Ho family. Comparisons to used Japanese pianos would depnd on the condition of those pianos.

The piano is manufactured in Guangzhou, China at the Pearl River factory.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
All Pearl River GP212 models, regardless of the brand on the fallboard, are the same. The GH212 is a substantial upgrade from the GP212. The GP212 hosts an "all spruce" soundboard whereas the GH212 has a solid European spruce soundboard. The GH212 has a completely Chinese producted action (all components) and the GH212 has some European components, including Renner hammer heads. Most importantly, the GP 212 was NOT designed by Lothar Thoma, whereas the GH212 is a Thomma design.

I hope the above was helpful.

Russell I. Kassman
Technician -Consultant

FORMER/Semi-Retired: USA Rep.for C.Bechstein & Sauter; Founder/R. KASSMAN Piano; Consultant - GUANGZHOU Pearl River Piano Co.

www.RussellKassman.com
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by master88er
All Pearl River GP212 models, regardless of the brand on the fallboard, are the same. The GH212 is a substantial upgrade from the GP212. The GP212 hosts an "all spruce" soundboard whereas the GH212 has a solid European spruce soundboard. The GH212 has a completely Chinese producted action (all components) and the GH212 has some European components, including Renner hammer heads. Most importantly, the GP 212 was NOT designed by Lothar Thoma, whereas the GH212 is a Thomma design.

I hope the above was helpful.

I'm sure it was helpful in the full-blown Northeast US sense of the phrase, but I'm not sure it's accurate.

Not to be a tedious bore grin, but according to Pearl River's own marketing materials in China, the two largest models of the R1 series (the GP212R1 and the GP275R1) both employ a Renner action made in Germany as standard equipment (not that this is necessarily a huge advantage at this point in time since theoretically at least, the Chinese may have figured out how to duplicate Renner design and quality at a fraction of its cost). The same "Renner action made in Germany" claim is made in Pearl's Russian marketing. So, if it is indeed a fact that there is no difference in any versions of the GP212, this is an unfortunate marketing misstatement by Pearl.

The OP is in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, which of course is not Russia or China. However, I think there's a strong likelihood that the GP212R1 sold there is identical to the one sold in China and Russia, and is not a piano sold in the US.

Since no claim is made for the soundboard other than all-spruce, I agree with you that the board employed is likely a solid core sandwich and not a solid board (not that that's a bad thing except for piano makers trying to dance their way around it).

As for Herr Thomma, I didn't warn the OP that Herr Thomma may not have been supervising every aspect of the production of the piano he is contemplating buying. After all, there's only so much one man can do, even Herr Thomma. Since Pearl built pianos before the Thomma 'intervention' and continues to build pianos which he does not personally carry down from Mount Sinai on his back, I think it may have reached the overkill stage of tossing props to Herr Thomma (even if it's true as I've heard from Norbert that the locals in Guangzhou didn't know how to manipulate their chopsticks properly until his arrival). grin

Now, what I really want to know is whether the Sauter Omega shares the dubious distinction with the Pearl River GP series of not having been designed by Herr Thomma. That would be a pity. grin

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission